E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 11:50 PM   #1
E34Addict
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,404
My Ride: E34 540I/6
Shifter rattle at idle + crazy movement at launch

Developed pretty suddenly, transmission/motor mounts are fine, rear looks fine minus worn mounts and dog bones:
  1. Shifter rattles at idle
  2. If speeding in first gear, at 4K+ RPM shifter starts to go hard to the right, no sound but with pedal (drive by wire) it feels like teeth are grinding or something (could be road condition)
  3. Launching the car in first, shifter goes CRAZY to the right, car shakes violently.

Any ideas? Guibo looks good. No gears pop out, seems to be related to high rpms/launches in 1st gear but shifter does lean to a bit right at high rpm in second gear too.
__________________


///////////////////////////////////////////// E34 Addicts
E34Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:41 AM   #2
McSpeed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,073
My Ride: 2005 ZHP TT Stg 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by E34Addict View Post
Developed pretty suddenly, transmission/motor mounts are fine, rear looks fine minus worn mounts and dog bones:
  1. Shifter rattles at idle
  2. If speeding in first gear, at 4K+ RPM shifter starts to go hard to the right, no sound but with pedal (drive by wire) it feels like teeth are grinding or something (could be road condition)
  3. Launching the car in first, shifter goes CRAZY to the right, car shakes violently.

Any ideas? Guibo looks good. No gears pop out, seems to be related to high rpms/launches in 1st gear but shifter does lean to a bit right at high rpm in second gear too.
1, 2 & 3 all point to the transmission is moving around a lot, which means the motor is also moving around a lot, so it sounds like it's gotta be related to the condition of the motor mounts and/or transmission mounts.
__________________


SOLD but fondly remembered...
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo w/ Greddy Profec B Spec II | 3.07 Quaife
ATI Super Damper | Vaio Oil Pump | VAC Pan Baffle | SRE Organic Clutch
Turner Reinforcements | SPC Camber Arms | Powerflex FCABs & SFBs

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:35 AM   #3
TxZHP04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: DFW
Posts: 5,728
My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSpeed View Post
1, 2 & 3 all point to the transmission is moving around a lot, which means the motor is also moving around a lot, so it sounds like it's gotta be related to the condition of the motor mounts and/or transmission mounts.
I agree 100%, there simply is no other possibility.

Motor mounts are virtually impossible to inspect on the car. Even when removed, typically the only real sign of failure is how compressed they appear next to fresh mounts. Stock transmission mounts can tear but they don't have to be in that bad of shape to need to be replaced.
__________________
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:14 AM   #4
KohbraxE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dallas texas
Posts: 408
My Ride: E46 328i
My shifter rattles as well and when in neutral naturally shifter goes almost all the way to the right instead of being centered .
My shifter doesn't rattle to bad
__________________
KohbraxE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:13 PM   #5
E34Addict
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,404
My Ride: E34 540I/6
I checked transmission mounts and they are fresh, engine is stationary when opening trottle in idle.

Could it be flywheel?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using BimmerApp
__________________


///////////////////////////////////////////// E34 Addicts
E34Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
TxZHP04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: DFW
Posts: 5,728
My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
When parked and revving the engine, the engine is essentially free-spinning with no external resistance. Accelerating hard while driving down the road is going to impart far more load on the mounts as there is a force (eg, the tires on the road) acting in opposition to the force of the engine.

No, an unbalanced flywheel will not cause the shifter to move to the right. I can almost 100% guarantee you that you have a problem with the motor and/or transmission mounts.

EDIT: I'm not sure it makes a difference but are we discussing an e46 or an e34 here?
__________________
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump

Last edited by TxZHP04; 12-01-2010 at 03:56 PM.
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #7
E34Addict
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,404
My Ride: E34 540I/6
E34, your theory is what I suspected but faulty motor mounts would show sign of failure upon throttle test on the lift... trans mounts are pretty much new. If this is not flywheel, would rear end issues be suspect? (Diff/dog bones)?
__________________


///////////////////////////////////////////// E34 Addicts
E34Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:51 PM   #8
TxZHP04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: DFW
Posts: 5,728
My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
I'm not familiar with the e34 but according to realoem the engine/transmission mounts and shifter setup is basically the same as the e46. Pretty much the only way the shifter is going to move substantially under hard acceleration is if the engine and transmission are moving relative to the chassis. This can only happen if the mounts aren't doing their job. Like I said before, they don't have to be visibly torn... just soft enough to deform more than when they were new. The rattle could possibly be coming from the shifter carrier or any of the other various components of the shifter but even play in the shifter itself will not cause large deflections of the shifter under acceleration - that can only come from movement of the transmission and/or engine.
__________________
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:40 AM   #9
McSpeed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,073
My Ride: 2005 ZHP TT Stg 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
I'm not familiar with the e34 but according to realoem the engine/transmission mounts and shifter setup is basically the same as the e46. Pretty much the only way the shifter is going to move substantially under hard acceleration is if the engine and transmission are moving relative to the chassis. This can only happen if the mounts aren't doing their job. Like I said before, they don't have to be visibly torn... just soft enough to deform more than when they were new. The rattle could possibly be coming from the shifter carrier or any of the other various components of the shifter but even play in the shifter itself will not cause large deflections of the shifter under acceleration - that can only come from movement of the transmission and/or engine.
Yeah. The other things to look at are the ears on the front subframe that the motor mounts attach to. These can fail and leave the motor mounts more or less free floating. You'd see serious corrosion or stress cracks below the motor mounts in that case.
__________________


SOLD but fondly remembered...
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo w/ Greddy Profec B Spec II | 3.07 Quaife
ATI Super Damper | Vaio Oil Pump | VAC Pan Baffle | SRE Organic Clutch
Turner Reinforcements | SPC Camber Arms | Powerflex FCABs & SFBs

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #10
E34Addict
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,404
My Ride: E34 540I/6
Word up homies.
__________________


///////////////////////////////////////////// E34 Addicts
E34Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is OFF





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use