E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
KohbraxE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dallas texas
Posts: 408
My Ride: E46 328i
Engine ticking after over heat !!!!!!

Hi I drive a 328i sedan
And I had over heating problems when I first go the car ( it's a salvage) and the work they did was a mess
Any ways all problems fixed
But one night driving home my engine was overheating and I pushed it and made it home..
But the next day I noticed a ticking noise from my engine
I'm sure I blew something
My car runs and drives awesome now . It just has that annoying ticking!!!
I have no lack in power
Any ideas how I cam fix it or what it is ???
Please help meeee
__________________
KohbraxE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:53 AM   #2
sjermyn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Berry, NSW, Australia
Posts: 3
My Ride: 330ci
Hmmm....I've seen this problem before, at least I've experienced the ticking noise in an engine that had been overheated. I hope this is not the cause, but...what had happened was the big end bearings had started to delaminate allowing the piston on one cylinder to touch the top of the head. That was the ticking noise. If not attended to urgently the conrod breaks or goes out through the side of the block.

As I said, I hope this is not your issue.
sjermyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
KohbraxE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dallas texas
Posts: 408
My Ride: E46 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjermyn View Post
Hmmm....I've seen this problem before, at least I've experienced the ticking noise in an engine that had been overheated. I hope this is not the cause, but...what had happened was the big end bearings had started to delaminate allowing the piston on one cylinder to touch the top of the head. That was the ticking noise. If not attended to urgently the conrod breaks or goes out through the side of the block.

As I said, I hope this is not your issue.
Wow that seems bad
I have put at least 3-5000 miles on the engine since, and it drives great

How do I check if that's really the issue?
How can it be repaired ?
__________________
KohbraxE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:45 AM   #4
sjermyn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Berry, NSW, Australia
Posts: 3
My Ride: 330ci
If you have done over 3,000 kms since the overheat it is very unlikely that it is the big ends ticking. What you can do however, is do an oil change and strain the oil through a pair of pantyhose and look for metal filings. If none, no problem with the engine internals.

After haveing done the above the next thing it could be is the exhaust manifold with a slight leak. Another thing that often happens when they have been overheated, so start to look there. A long screwdriver with your ear at one end will help to locate it.

Let us know how you go with the above checks?

Steve
sjermyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:25 AM   #5
KohbraxE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dallas texas
Posts: 408
My Ride: E46 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjermyn View Post
If you have done over 3,000 kms since the overheat it is very unlikely that it is the big ends ticking. What you can do however, is do an oil change and strain the oil through a pair of pantyhose and look for metal filings. If none, no problem with the engine internals.

After haveing done the above the next thing it could be is the exhaust manifold with a slight leak. Another thing that often happens when they have been overheated, so start to look there. A long screwdriver with your ear at one end will help to locate it.

Let us know how you go with the above checks?

Steve
Thats a good idea I'm going to do an oil change when I get back from my holiday break 3 weeks
So I'll check for that

I think it could be the exhaust manifold because the ticking is stringer when you get your ear to the bottom almost under the car behind the engine.

Also I forgot to mention after the over heating I turned on my car the next day and it blew white smoke but only for about 3 seconds. As if it had cleaned out the exhaust or something.

Ever since then I have had the ticking. But never again any white or any kind of smoke it runs clean.

So any ideas ?
Thanks for helping I'll keep you posted
__________________
KohbraxE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:26 PM   #6
Recon2005
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: High Speed Desert
Posts: 342
My Ride: VF-E 328Ci & 325 E90
Are you sure the tick isn't a hydraulic lifter? Maybe the tick wasn't as prevalent prior to overheating.
__________________

Vortech // Magnaflow // Hotchkis // H&R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcefed M3 View Post
Could not agree more. I enjoyed my vf kit to the day I took it off. VF best s/c out there. Period
Recon2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #7
KohbraxE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dallas texas
Posts: 408
My Ride: E46 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon2005 View Post
Are you sure the tick isn't a hydraulic lifter? Maybe the tick wasn't as prevalent prior to overheating.
That's what my GF's dad says ( he's a fed ex mechanic)

He says it could well be the lifters and I agree
Cause of his many years of experience
My new question is
How can I fix that?
__________________
KohbraxE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:03 PM   #8
Recon2005
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: High Speed Desert
Posts: 342
My Ride: VF-E 328Ci & 325 E90
Have to install new hydraulic lifters. No easy fix, but for the most part it's not really a big issue. Run it as is, make sure you are using the correct BMW approved oil and that your oil is always full. You won't harm anything; just have to endure the noise.

Sent from my DROID2 using BimmerApp
__________________

Vortech // Magnaflow // Hotchkis // H&R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcefed M3 View Post
Could not agree more. I enjoyed my vf kit to the day I took it off. VF best s/c out there. Period
Recon2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:42 PM   #9
KohbraxE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dallas texas
Posts: 408
My Ride: E46 328i
Yea that's what he told me. And that's what I'm doing now keeping up with my oil.
That ticking is so annoying

What's the diy

What males it hard? Do you have to pull your engine out ?

Is it worth it ?
__________________
KohbraxE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #10
TrickTizzle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Minneapolis/Milwaukee
Posts: 3,104
My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
POst a video, could be VANOS seals.
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:47 PM   #11
KohbraxE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dallas texas
Posts: 408
My Ride: E46 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTizzle View Post
POst a video, could be VANOS seals.
Will do good idea
__________________
KohbraxE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is OFF





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use