E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
EDness

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325xi
bubble in tire...replacement

the tires are about a year old/20k miles. Do i have to replace all 4? Or just the 2 on the same axle is fine?
EDness is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
What kind of tires?

How much tread is left on the good tires? The wear bars are 2/32", so try and ballpark it.

If they are the continental contitourings, just ditch all 4 now- they bubble way too easy.

You could try and find a nice used pair to match, or better yet sell the two good tires and buy 4 tougher ones.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:49 AM   #3
EDness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
What kind of tires?

How much tread is left on the good tires? The wear bars are 2/32", so try and ballpark it.

If they are the continental contitourings, just ditch all 4 now- they bubble way too easy.

You could try and find a nice used pair to match, or better yet sell the two good tires and buy 4 tougher ones.

Pirelli P6 four seasons. I didn't measure but they have plenty of tread left. I'm just wondering if i have replace the tires in the same axle or all 4.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
Capt1014

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Where is the bubble, if it's on the side wall you could check out the manufacturers warrenty, to get it replaced?

Overkill is an often underrated state of achivement!
Capt1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:45 AM   #5
EDness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt1014 View Post
Where is the bubble, if it's on the side wall you could check out the manufacturers warrenty, to get it replaced?
it's on the sidewall closer to the rim...it drives fine. I'm looking into the warranty from the previous owner. She's looking into it...maybe i can get a replacement. If not i'm actually considering a new set of tires. I was planning on getting new wheels for the car after the tires are worn out, but it looks like that's not going to happen anytime soon.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
athayer187

My Ride: 2004 330xi
I'd do at least an axle set.

1988 535is - EAT chip, style 5 wheels for track, style 29 wheels for street, urethane UCAB's,
urethane trans mounts, 500/450 IE Coilovers, UUC SSK, Mason Engineering strut bars,
Hella H1/H4 headlights, Schroth Rallye 3's, Dinan 25/19 swaybars, 750i brakes
2004 330xi - stock except for UUC SSK, RE RSM's, Koni Yellows, UUC TSE1
athayer187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
5mall5nail5
Banned

My Ride: Cars
Yeah I agree, replace the opposite tire, and then put them on the back.
5mall5nail5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
If the bubble is in the front, move it to the rear (or swap spare) ASAP and replace it immediately. A bubble is a dangerous condition if it ruptures and it will with enough friction (heat) and twist force. If there is ample thread remaining, just replace with the same kind of tire. No need to do a pair.

My car came with GY Eagle RSAs from the factory. I bubbled at least 6 of these and went to Conti's, which were somewhat better and bubbled less. Now Im riding some Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus' and no issues at all. Knock on wood.

OP - You should also have tire insurance. Very cheap and well worth it. You get a new tire if it bubbles or is damaged in some way.
OrientBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
xi_ter

My CCV boot ripped after replacing one tire a few years back. Check whether the tires are prone to bubbling to decide whether to move to a different tire.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #10
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
Not only will they repalce blown tires, but you will be reimbursed up to $25 for a tire patch.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/roadHazard/trhp.jsp

Quote:

*******>********>
We all do a lot of driving. There are potholes everywhere, debris on the roads and plenty of obstacles to avoid. Properly maintained tires can generally handle the bumps and scrapes but inevitably one unforseen road hazard can leave you with a tire in need of repair or replacement.
Tire Rack supports the tire manufacturers' warranties for all of the tire brands that we sell. Those warranties apply to tires that become unusable for any reason within the tire manufacturer's control, typically covering materials and workmanship. However, these warranties do not apply to causes and conditions beyond the tire manufacturer's control, such as road hazards. Because of this, many drivers desire the additional security and peace of mind that a Tire Road Hazard Service Program provides.
Road hazard damage is damage that occurs when a tire fails as a result of a puncture, bruise or break incurred during the course of normal driving on a maintained road. Nails, glass and potholes are the most common examples of road hazards.

With Tire Rack's Tire Road Hazard Service Program, your tire repair or replacement is reimbursed (to the extent and subject to the conditions, provided in the Program Certificate).
Read complete terms and conditions by downloading a PDF of Tire Rack's Tire Road Hazard Program Certificate.
  • Tires are covered for 36 months from the date of purchase or until 2/32" or less of tread remains, whichever occurs first.
  • Repairs are reimbursed up to $25 per tire per occurrence.
  • During the first 12 months, you will be reimbursed for 100% of the original cost of the tire covered by the Tire Road Hazard Service Program, subject to the limitations set forth in the Program Certificate. Beyond the first 12 months, the reimbursable amount is calculated by a proration of elapsed time, not to exceed 36 months.
  • The following tires are not eligible for the Tire Road Hazard Service Program:
    • Competition tires
    • LT Metric sized tires
    • LT Flotation sized tires
    • Trailer tires
  • The following vehicles are not eligible for the Tire Road Hazard Service Program:
    • Any emergency service vehicle.
    • Any vehicle used for hire, commercial, towing, construction or postal service.
    • Any vehicle used for farm, ranch, agriculture, or off-road use.
    • Program is only available to customers living in the 48 contiguous States. Alaska, Hawaii, U.S. territories, APO/FPO, Canada and Mexico are excluded.
  • Additional exclusions and limitations are described in the Program Certificate.
OrientBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:29 PM   #11
Capt1014

I know most places usually don't sell just 1 tire to a truck or SUV that has 4WD, anyone ever run into the same situation with an XI because is AWD?

I'd definitely do at least 2 tires.

Last edited by Capt1014; 12-02-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #12
EDness

i'll replace the axle set, but i guess it's fine with getting a different brand? I plan on getting a new set of wheel/tires next summer anyways.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #13
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDness View Post
i'll replace the axle set, but i guess it's fine with getting a different brand?
No. Keep the same tire model on all four wheels.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:14 AM   #14
Capt1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
No. Keep the same tire model on all four wheels.
+1

Having worked at BJ's tire dept for a while, I've seen where different brand tires wear differently.

Last edited by Capt1014; 12-03-2010 at 07:16 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:40 AM   #15
chsu74

My Ride: 550XI,993TT,GL320
Hey Ed! Fancy meeting you here. Post pics of the bubble so we can all roll the dice to see if you can get through the winter. If not get a set of tires off tire rack. There are some good value tires, rating around 7-8, for around $100/pc.
chsu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:49 AM   #16
EDness

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsu74 View Post
Hey Ed! Fancy meeting you here. Post pics of the bubble so we can all roll the dice to see if you can get through the winter. If not get a set of tires off tire rack. There are some good value tires, rating around 7-8, for around $100/pc.
LOL you found me! The bubble was a big one! I wasn't going to risk driving with it so i just replaced the 2 rears with the Conti DWS tires. While they were balancing the wheel they found a bent lip as well so I told them to put the spare wheel out and put the bent one in the spare.

After driving 60 miles on the new tires I'm actually thinking about getting the fronts as well and MAYBE hold off on the wheel purchase for now lol.