E46 Fanatics Forum banner

So I'm halfway thru my m54b30 swap into my 325xit.

8K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  mujjuman 
#1 ·
So installing an m54b30 into my sport package manual wagon.... simple right? Bought an m54b30 from a 330i, swapped the pan and put it all together... but while it's apart I decided to replace all the seals, all the hoses, the CCV, the clutch. The llittle things add up fast. $1500 worth of maintenance items.

So cost of motor + all the new parts = $$$$$ :banghead:

It started snowing here in Montreal and my 325xit is in pieces... 200miles away.

Lost of work and not feeling like working on the car

So basicaly this is a swap blues support thread.

#2 ·
Geez - is it worth it do you think? Our family has a 325xi and I enjoy how the car drives stock, I don't see the need for that little displacement bump and all the associated work especially on a late model BMW. Unless of course something is wrong with your 2.5L engine.

#4 · (Edited)
Well the 325 lacked torque to make me want to keep it long term. I wanted something with proper power and I think the m54b30 will satisfy me.

ya Know I procrastinated for five months over the oil filter housing gasket. Everytime I looked...small puddles of Bloops of oil. After a while I decided... i dont like this..I am going to change the situation..Its far easier to stay in the comfort zone of whooing over something than actually taken action!..just mentally decide to take control of the project-change your mindset-and apply yourself. There is agood reason why you wanted to do the engine swap-follow through on it-challenges is what makes it rewarding in the end.....
procrastination is my enemy lol :D

#3 ·
ya Know I procrastinated for five months over the oil filter housing gasket. Everytime I looked...small puddles of Bloops of oil. After a while I decided... i dont like this..I am going to change the situation..Its far easier to stay in the comfort zone of whooing over something than actually taken action!..just mentally decide to take control of the project-change your mindset-and apply yourself. There is agood reason why you wanted to do the engine swap-follow through on it-challenges is what makes it rewarding in the end.....

#12 ·
Ah, I'm doing the same, but decided to hold off over the winter, as it got cold out rather ffast. I am doing the 2.5 -> 3.0 swap too. I also picked up a set of the ZHP cams which should make things interesting, in a positive manner, with the different gear ratio (I hope), picked up the drilled nut while I had it all in pieces, etc.

Just waiting for spring now ... Hope your swap goes well!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.