E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 08:49 AM   #1
shicobico

My Ride: f30
Digging out of North East snow ... with my e46!

Ok, here's the deal. I woke up this morning (Connecticut) to find my car snow-banked in. 3 feet of snow behind me, roughly 2 feet on either side.

I parked my car last night, nose in, so my rear wheels would do most of the pulling through the snow when I back it out.

I shoveled the first foot of snow, but quickly got bored. And since this is my first snow storm with this car, I thought I'd see what it was really made of. I've been waiting for this day since I first bought this baby.

Most my neighbors shoveling away, breaking their back, I decide to do things a bit unconventionally. I back into 2 feet of snow, knowing everyone would look at me like a typical over-confident BMW-driving prick. At the risk of proving them right (and the obvious embarrassment of getting stuck), I give it a try. Well, guess what ... the car got stuck! But wait ... I rock it back and forth a couple of times, tried turning the DSC off (not really a great idea), then DSC back on, and babied the car in reverse and out she comes. It was really a matter of about 30 seconds, but really impressed me. It just put a smile on my face.

On the other hand, my neighbor shoveled all but a couple of inches of snow, and still got stuck sideways in his S4.

On the same note, I have NO idea how anyone would dare to even drive in ANY amount of snow with RWD. My XI would still manage to fish tail when I accidentally gave it too much gas, until the DSC makes it right. These torquey engines + rear wheel will really just throw you into a full spin before the DSC even kicks in. It just does not seem very safe.

With the DSC off, the all wheel would take a tad longer to straighten itself out whenever it lost traction. My XI was still very, very tricky, and a bit unpredictable with DSC de-activated. Not sure if it's the 62/38 bias or what, but the DSC came to the rescue and saved the day every! single! time!

Now braking, that's a whole different story. The all wheel + DSC will figure out any possible way to get you going from a full stop, up hill or what have you, but getting the car to stop was a whole different story. My brakes locked every time. Even when I try and pump them, they still would lock. It was pretty frustrating, but now I know. I down shift and slow down (like real slow - 20 mph slow) whenever approaching any intersection or lights. Doesn't matter if it's red or green. That was the only way to get the brakes to not lock. Just reminds me how heavy these cars really are.

PLEASE, PLEASE ... P-L-E-A-S-E be extra safe, courteous and alert when driving this winter. All it takes is a fraction of second for things to go terribly wrong (ask me how I know).

Anyone have any similar issues with braking in slippery conditions? Any advice or experiences to share?

e90
f30

Last edited by shicobico; 12-27-2010 at 09:04 AM.
shicobico is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Do NOT pump your brakes. That's what the ABS is already doing and you pumping really gums up the works. Also, the harder you push the brakes, the more prone to locking they are. Smooth on the brakes and smooth back on the throttle are keys to success.

The car isn't that hard to drive in the snow, it is very predictable in it's nature and abilities. Find an empty, snow covered parking lot and have some fun. You'll really learn the limits and abilities of what you can do with that car. You'll also figure out how to properly control it even though the back end steps out. Leave the DSC on, it helps far more than it hurts and will save your butt many times over.

Get snow tires, makes for some really sweet winter domination. You'll be the asshat in the left lane going 70mph in a snowstorm.

PS: Way to show that Audi prick what's up.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
Black Stig

My Ride: 325Xi
This was our first winter in our Xi and even with some crummy triple tread goodyears it is a beast. I really enjoy driving it in the snow. It's my wifes car and I feel confident with the awd that she will be safe this winter. Unless there is a asshat BMW doing 70 in the other lane.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:08 PM   #4
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by shicobico View Post
Any advice or experiences to share?.
Get some snow tires for even more wintery goodness.
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
vasevida

My Ride: 2001 330xi
We got a bunch of snow this week and the xi always does well. The #1 rule in snowy driving - SLOW DOWN. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it works.
JC
vasevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:36 AM   #6
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
you have to drive slow. like below 30 mph when there is that much snow on the ground, regardless of xi or not.

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote