E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
giancarlo

My Ride: M3
RADIATOR FAIL!!!!!! Help plz

RADIATOR MOUNTING PLATE FOR EXPANSION TANK (manual)

Well, it was time to change my radiator, I started by removing all fan, shroud, expansion tank, reservoir and hoses... once everything was all out. I installed new radiator hoses and so ... after making sure parts were back in place and clips were tighten.. I found a "hole" by the radiator/fan shroud (i dont know what is called) behin or by the bottom left of the fan!

**I THINK I BROKE IT** lo THe thing is that there's water coming out of there. Maybe I broke something inside.
I just dont remember seeing something there.

Did I do anything wrong or Am I missing something there?

Help Plz..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0056.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	386339   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0057.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	386340   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0058.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	386341   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0059.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	386342  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0060.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	386343  

Last edited by giancarlo; 12-08-2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: addition
giancarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Are you sure it isn't coolant from when you removed the hoses, thermostat and expansion tank? Is everything properly seated?
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
325myAZ

My Ride: 2001 325i
You want to make sure that you've purchased a radiator for a manual transmission (if that's what you have) otherwise it might be leaking where the attachment for the automatic transmission cooler is located.

Also, you should be using BMW approved coolant - it looks like you're dripping the evil GREEN coolant!

Last edited by 325myAZ; 12-08-2010 at 06:16 PM.
325myAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:58 AM   #4
fgin

My Ride: e46 facelift

missing part #3 ? it connects the radiator with the expansion thank and the auto transmission oil cooler if it has one.
fgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
giancarlo

The radiator was for a AUTOMATIC, not manual. Problem fixed. DUH! the plug needed to be smaller.
Yes, I already got antifreeze by BMW.
Thanks guys..

crap, ran into another problem. One of the radiator hoses wasnt plugged in correctly (TOP one), well it wasnt tighten. the antifreeze i put in got all over my engine bay is full with antifreeze now... i cut the car off, clipped the hose and now its overheating because fan its not working. I think water must gotten into wires or something... but also the EML came on.

so 2 things, FAN & EML.

Car was on ramps for 3 days. my car didnt wanna turn on so i changed batteries and EM light came on but I think it was because my friend covered the intake with his hands while car was on and engine died. thats when the second time I tried to turn on the car and it wouldnt start.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
xavi330i

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
Quote:
Originally Posted by giancarlo View Post
...but I think it was because my friend covered the intake with his hands while car was on and engine died...

and he did this why?
Old 12-10-2010, 09:59 PM   #7
giancarlo

Red face

Fan is working now. But he EML and traction still on. Car is doing this now...at idle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=TBQMUitgX_U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=TBQMUitgX_U

BTW I replaced the Airflow sensor and problem still there.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:08 PM   #8
joneperry

My Ride: e46 + S60 + Z
are you revving at the end? hmm so its definitely caused by some coolant get some places, If i were you i would just remove the airbox and hose everything off and let it dry, then check all the electrical connectors, get some ELECTRIAL CLEAN by crc from autozone, disconnect every cnonector in that area and spray with that stuff good, theres the alternator, oil filter housing theres like two connected to that, the maf, one for the disa a few more, not to mention theres on for the electrical fan and most important campshaft position sensor near your vanos. that should help a bit

i hope you didnt let it overheat more than 10 seconds..well 30 seconds but 10 to be safe. i remember my full cooling system overhaul a few months ago

Last edited by joneperry; 12-10-2010 at 10:12 PM.
joneperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:33 PM   #9
giancarlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneperry View Post
are you revving at the end? hmm so its definitely caused by some coolant get some places, If i were you i would just remove the airbox and hose everything off and let it dry, then check all the electrical connectors, get some ELECTRIAL CLEAN by crc from autozone, disconnect every cnonector in that area and spray with that stuff good, theres the alternator, oil filter housing theres like two connected to that, the maf, one for the disa a few more, not to mention theres on for the electrical fan and most important campshaft position sensor near your vanos. that should help a bit

i hope you didnt let it overheat more than 10 seconds..well 30 seconds but 10 to be safe. i remember my full cooling system overhaul a few months ago
THanks
I read almost all theads about EML... some saying O2 sensors, electrical, oil cap, intake, throttle, fuel pump, air, and much more.
Anyway..before I reset but still coming on (EML) I had these codes.

P1510
P0420
P1622.

no, I didnt let it get to the red line (temp)

I also read about one cleaning it with Electrical staff.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #10
joneperry

My Ride: e46 + S60 + Z
1510 P1510 Idle Speed Control Valve Stuck

P0420 Error Code: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

P1622 MAP Cooling Control Circuit Electrical

So before you tried to replace the radiator it didnt have any codes correct? and only after splashing all the coolant everywhere the lights came on > then if it was me, removing the airbox is so easy and already gives access to at least 5 to 6 connectors while i was there, plus the connectors for me fan clutch, on the opposite side on the side of teh secondary air pump, and also lets not forget teh camshaft position sensor right underneath the vanos that people complain about, from what im reading on e46, and oil that has gotten into a snsor has prevented electrical transmission, coolant is slippery like oil, so i would assume it does the same, hopefully dmax will chime in, but for if were me, unplug for tonight let it dry, tomorrow autozone and buy the electrical and gouge the heck out of each connector let it dry for 20 seconds and unplug make sure each clip goes on securely and make sure that you press in the clip all the way when you go to remove it
joneperry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, expansion tank, radiator