E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
shwagon

My Ride: 325it 5-speed
My AR Build

I have always wanted to build an AR and this year i decided it would be a christmas present to myself...

I started with a YHM lower that a purchased at my local gun shop (best one they had in stock) ($136 with taxes)

I then went with a RRA lower parts kit and 2-stage trigger from eaglearmory.com ($143.10)

http://www.eaglearmory.com/index.php...products_id=24

For the upper I have always liked the Daniel Defense rail systems and with a little direction from Reedo302 I was able to custom build my set up at smartgunner.com:

Daniel Defense (Build Your Own) Custom Lite Rail Upper Receiver Group

Daniel Defense Cold Hammer Forged Barrel: 16" 1:7 Lightweight Profile Mid Length Gas System

Fixed Front Sight Post

Choose a Rail System: AR15 Lite Rail™ 12.0 FSPM (Mid-length)

Choose a Flash Hider / Compensator: Standard A2 Flash Hider

Daniel Defense Extras:
A1.5 Fixed Rear Sight

All for $600

Something like this, just in Mid length:

Purchased the following from eaglearmory.com:

Rock River Arms Complete Chrome BCG ($129.60)

LMT Tactical Charging Handle Assembly ($46.99)

Rock River Arms Operator CAR Stock Kit ($109.35)

And a couple of P-Mags...

I should have everything in about 2 weeks

What ya think?!?!?!
My Gun Builds: AR-15, GSG-522-SD, Saiga 308
shwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #2
e4sixxx

My Ride: 2000 328ci
good sh!t bro, im looking into a noveske 7.5" barrel for my current set up. ill try to post some pics later on tonight
e4sixxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Looks pretty sweet dude. Post the pics up when you get it done!

Next step: Optics

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by e4sixxx View Post
good sh!t bro, im looking into a noveske 7.5" barrel for my current set up. ill try to post some pics later on tonight
I love my 7.5" Diplomat, It's a sweet barrel. Tons of Fun. Make sure that you get the Noveske KX3 flash suppressor, though. For a barrel that short, it's a necessity to control the concussion.

To the OP, Nice build! Can't wait to see it all come together.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:39 PM   #5
e4sixxx

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
I love my 7.5" Diplomat, It's a sweet barrel. Tons of Fun. Make sure that you get the Noveske KX3 flash suppressor, though. For a barrel that short, it's a necessity to control the concussion.

To the OP, Nice build! Can't wait to see it all come together.

already on my list

how long did it take for you to get the tax stamp?
e4sixxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Looking sharp! Post pics of the complete build!
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:00 PM   #7
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by e4sixxx View Post
already on my list

how long did it take for you to get the tax stamp?
Just over 4 months by the Trust route, which is known to be shorter than the regular way (heard it's up to 6 months for that way).

Glock Armorer

Old 12-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
shwagon

Got the lower all assembled:

Old 12-21-2010, 06:03 PM   #9
shwagon

Still waiting on my DD upper 2 weeks and counting... anyone heard of any backups at DD?
Old 12-21-2010, 10:25 PM   #10
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwagon View Post
Still waiting on my DD upper 2 weeks and counting... anyone heard of any backups at DD?
I haven't heard anything, but DD has several military contracts, to include a lot of SOCOM stuff with the Mk18 and the RIS-II.

IIRC, they're also in the middle of building a new facility. I thought I heard something about possible delays until the new shop gets going, but I don't remember if that was just the barrels, or the whole enchilada. Or maybe I just have bad memory.

Glock Armorer

Old 12-22-2010, 03:57 AM   #11
///Flash
Banned

My Ride: a donkey
I recommend going with a free floating tube instead of that fixed one. don't worry both loosing the pictanny rails. the free floating tube from YHM has the rails built in.

Also...if you want optics (especially custom made) then go with US Optics. They make optics for Army and Navy marksmanship teams
///Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:18 AM   #12
shwagon

^ Its a free float. From the DD web site:

"The Daniel Defense 12.0 FSPM Free Float Rail System features an opening in the top rail to accommodate the front sight post and gas block of a mid length AR15 gas system."

https://danieldefense.com/rail-syste...id-length.html

Thanks for the advice though. I need to check out that optics company right now I have a 3-9X42 Illum Milldot made by NcStar (acually feels really nice) Ill see if it holds zero If I ever get my upper...
Old 12-22-2010, 10:14 AM   #13
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Did you order the AR from DD themselves? I heard Smartgunner.com was having an amazing sale. Basically, built your custom DD upper for a stupid low price.
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #14
shwagon

^ Ordered it all from smartgunner got the upper and rear sight shipped for $600 just hopes it all comes in soon. It takes them awhile to answer emails though. I have emailed him twice now and it takes at least 2 days to answer them.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:03 PM   #15
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Flash View Post
I recommend going with a free floating tube instead of that fixed one. don't worry both loosing the pictanny rails. the free floating tube from YHM has the rails built in.

Also...if you want optics (especially custom made) then go with US Optics. They make optics for Army and Navy marksmanship teams
Quote:
Originally Posted by shwagon View Post
^ Its a free float. From the DD web site:

"The Daniel Defense 12.0 FSPM Free Float Rail System features an opening in the top rail to accommodate the front sight post and gas block of a mid length AR15 gas system."

https://danieldefense.com/rail-syste...id-length.html

Thanks for the advice though. I need to check out that optics company right now I have a 3-9X42 Illum Milldot made by NcStar (acually feels really nice) Ill see if it holds zero If I ever get my upper...
With the exception of the EZ CAR handguard, all DD forends are free float. Tubes don't necessarily give you any advantage. In many cases, you can have a disadvantage with them due to lack of rails, increased heat due to poor ventilation, and poor durability for the ones that are fiberglass.

US Optics are amazing scopes. They're also an arm and a leg. If you are looking into the realm of an ACOG, the better money is on going over to the USO SN-4S. Just be sure you can afford the $1200 price tag.

A better option for a variable scope is the Trijicon AccuPoint TR24 1-4x24. The aiming is better with reticle, since it uses the Bindon Aiming Concept (BAC).
Hold off on getting a scope until after SHOT show 2011. Trijicon has something BIG coming out. The two major rumors are that the AccuPoint TR24 1-4x24 is going to be offered with an optional ACOG-style bullet drop/range finding BAC reticle, and that Trijicon may be introducing a new AccuPoint 1-6x. Yes, a TRUE 1x-6x scope.

Of, if you have no interest in magnification, I always have to throw my support behind Aimpoint.

Glock Armorer

Old 12-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #16
chriscf17

My Ride: 1999 BMW 328i Sport
I'm curious to know how difficult the build is. I've shot many ARs, but never have put any together or taken them apart. My uncle has about 15 ARs the he put together himself and built for different ranges/calibers/home defense etc. He said it took him a few hours the first time but now he has it down to about 20 minutes or so for a complete build.

OP is this your first time building an AR from the ground up? For my first AR I'd like to save as much money as possible and build it exactly how I want to. If this isn't your first rodeo then would you mind sharing how long it took you the first time or what the difficulty would be for a beginner. I know the basics, just not everything.

Thanks for the help!
chriscf17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:09 PM   #17
shwagon

(@Reedo) Good advice, It was going to be hard dropping $1k or more on a scope for a riffle I just put $1300 in. After SHOT show I should have my gun budget back on track. I do like magnification though, I have allot of land around me and its fun to do some simi long distance shooting.

Last edited by shwagon; 12-22-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #18
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscf17 View Post
I'm curious to know how difficult the build is. I've shot many ARs, but never have put any together or taken them apart. My uncle has about 15 ARs the he put together himself and built for different ranges/calibers/home defense etc. He said it took him a few hours the first time but now he has it down to about 20 minutes or so for a complete build.

OP is this your first time building an AR from the ground up? For my first AR I'd like to save as much money as possible and build it exactly how I want to. If this isn't your first rodeo then would you mind sharing how long it took you the first time or what the difficulty would be for a beginner. I know the basics, just not everything.

Thanks for the help!
I don't recommend building one unless you do your research and learn the torque specs and lubrication requirements- particularly with the barrel and compensator installs. There are many pitfalls that people get into when they build. Aside from torque specs, you also need to make sure your gas key is properly installed, torqued, and staked. The gas tube must be properly centered, which means that the barrel nut must be in the exact perfect position to prevent putting side tension on the gas tube. After everything is in place, you need to be able to diagnose problems that are associated with builds.

If you want to start learning, go to YouTube and check out "ssdsurf" channel. He's a cop buddy of mine and he is a very reputable armorer. He made a whole comprehensive series on every step of building an AR.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ssdsurf

Glock Armorer

Old 12-22-2010, 12:16 PM   #19
chriscf17

My Ride: 1999 BMW 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
I don't recommend building one unless you do your research and learn the torque specs and lubrication requirements- particularly with the barrel and compensator installs. There are many pitfalls that people get into when they build. Aside from torque specs, you also need to make sure your gas key is properly installed, torqued, and staked. The gas tube must be properly centered, which means that the barrel nut must be in the exact perfect position to prevent putting side tension on the gas tube. After everything is in place, you need to be able to diagnose problems that are associated with builds.

If you want to start learning, go to YouTube and check out "ssdsurf" channel. He's a cop buddy of mine and he is a very reputable armorer. He made a whole comprehensive series on every step of building an AR.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ssdsurf
Thanks for the help, I wont be doing this build or even getting my AR until the summer most likely, and I may either have my uncle teach me how to properly build one or just do as much studying as possible on the builds going into it.

I'll definitely check out those youtube videos thanks for posting them up.
chriscf17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #20
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscf17 View Post
Thanks for the help, I wont be doing this build or even getting my AR until the summer most likely, and I may either have my uncle teach me how to properly build one or just do as much studying as possible on the builds going into it.

I'll definitely check out those youtube videos thanks for posting them up.
Watch the videos, but have your uncle give you hands-on help. Like him, I can build one inside of 20 minutes. I do work on other peoples' ARs, and that keeps me fresh and in practice. But really, ARs are like Legos for adults. You just have to know what you're doing and it's all fun from there.

Glock Armorer