E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 02:01 PM   #41
dinan Bimmer

My Ride: Turbo 350Z
Send a message via AIM to dinan Bimmer
I'm just pissed that none of my upper body lifts have changed since I was in high school. Come think about it my lower body lifts haven't really changed to much either. It's kind of depressing.
2004.5 350Z APS ST 475whp 505wtq Sold
dinan Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:08 PM   #42
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan Bimmer View Post
I'm just pissed that none of my upper body lifts have changed since I was in high school. Come think about it my lower body lifts haven't really changed to much either. It's kind of depressing.
how long ago was it? You look like a different person than your first pics so I wouldn't mind lol.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:12 PM   #43
dinan Bimmer

Almost 2 years. I'm not so much concerned about aesthetics. I prefer to have a functional type strength. A lot of the jobs I've had have been labor jobs so I see this lifting as more of a way to help make my job easier.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #44
DylloS

Quote:
Almost 2 years. I'm not so much concerned about aesthetics. I prefer to have a functional type strength. A lot of the jobs I've had have been labor jobs so I see this lifting as more of a way to help make my job easier.
you should prob look at different programs then. Talk to glight and fugarza about some things. There are a lot out there.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:27 PM   #45
dinan Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
you should prob look at different programs then. Talk to glight and fugarza about some things. There are a lot out there.
yeah I probably should. I was thinking about a kettle bell routine, but my gym's kettle bells only go up 15lbs
Old 12-15-2010, 02:45 PM   #46
DylloS

Quote:
yeah I probably should. I was thinking about a kettle bell routine, but my gym's kettle bells only go up 15lbs
A lot of the programs I was looking at, and will probably do after a few months of the current one, are pretty much all compound movements every other day.

workout A-monday, friday week one. wednesday week two, etc
squat
bench
rows
dips

workout b wednesday week one. monday friday week 2 etc
squat
overhead press
deadlift

then you can do some isolation exercises for bi's tri's on of of the days. My main concern with this being a 5x5 workout was soreness. I think i'd be pretty sore after monday's squat to squat again. I know I would get used to the soreness and it would go away after a few weeks though.

Last edited by DylloS; 12-15-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:52 PM   #47
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
What are your goals. I know you said you want to add some weight to your squat and DL, but how much. It looks like you have been training for a while so you probably wont get a ton out of a linear progression, but I would try it first and see what happens....basically 3 sets of 5 at a heavy weight, adding weight to the bar each workout. Compound exercises only and eat like a horse. When that stalls out, move to an intermediate program like the texas method or 5/3/1. 5/3/1 is probably better if you want to keep some conditioning workouts.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:05 PM   #48
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
What are your goals. I know you said you want to add some weight to your squat and DL, but how much. It looks like you have been training for a while so you probably wont get a ton out of a linear progression, but I would try it first and see what happens....basically 3 sets of 5 at a heavy weight, adding weight to the bar each workout. Compound exercises only and eat like a horse. When that stalls out, move to an intermediate program like the texas method or 5/3/1. 5/3/1 is probably better if you want to keep some conditioning workouts.

I like the texas method idea but what workouts do you do.

This is what they list but how many, and which ones do you do on which days?

Exercises. Choose exercises based on your goals. If you tend towards powerlifting: more Bench Press. If you prefer Olympic lifting: more Front Squats & Overhead Press. Whatever your goals, always do the basics:

* Squat & Front Squat
* Deadlift
* Overhead Press & Push Press
* Bench Press
* Bent-Over Barbell Rows & Pendlay Rows
* Pull-ups, Chin-ups & Dips
* Power Cleans

EDIT:

Just saw this one. There are many variations to it and I like this one the best probably.
Monday [High Volume/Moderate Intensity]
Squat 5X5
Bench Press 5X5
Power Clean 5X3 (or Bentover BB Row 3x8)

Wednesday [Low Volume/Low Intensity]
Front Squat 3X3
Press 3X3
Back Extension/GHR 5x10
Chin ups 3x12

Friday [Low Volume/High Intensity]
Squat 1X5
Bench Press 1X5
or 5X3
or 5X2
or 5X1
Deadlift 1X5

Last edited by DylloS; 12-15-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #49
Glight

Quote:
I like the texas method idea but what workouts do you do.

This is what they list but how many, and which ones do you do on which days?

Exercises. Choose exercises based on your goals. If you tend towards powerlifting: more Bench Press. If you prefer Olympic lifting: more Front Squats & Overhead Press. Whatever your goals, always do the basics:

* Squat & Front Squat
* Deadlift
* Overhead Press & Push Press
* Bench Press
* Bent-Over Barbell Rows & Pendlay Rows
* Pull-ups, Chin-ups & Dips
* Power Cleans

EDIT:

Just saw this one. There are many variations to it and I like this one the best probably.
Monday [High Volume/Moderate Intensity]
Squat 5X5
Bench Press 5X5
Power Clean 5X3 (or Bentover BB Row 3x8)

Wednesday [Low Volume/Low Intensity]
Front Squat 3X3
Press 3X3
Back Extension/GHR 5x10
Chin ups 3x12

Friday [Low Volume/High Intensity]
Squat 1X5
Bench Press 1X5
or 5X3
or 5X2
or 5X1
Deadlift 1X5
Yeah I like that one a lot too. That is probably what I will move on to when my current program stalls out. Those Monday are LONG days though.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:20 PM   #50
DylloS

Quote:
Yeah I like that one a lot too. That is probably what I will move on to when my current program stalls out. Those Monday are LONG days though.
I like that but I would want dips somewhere. Any suggestions? As in long do you mean time or difficulty? There aren't many exercises so I'm assuming you mean it's hard and seems like it takes a while lol.

Last edited by DylloS; 12-15-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:23 PM   #51
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Solly just pick a damn routine lol...I don't even have a straight routine.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:57 PM   #52
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
Solly just pick a damn routine lol...I don't even have a straight routine.
dude it's picked haha. i'm doing a split for a few months then doing something like above. I'm just seeing what my next move is lol.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #53
Glight

Quote:
I like that but I would want dips somewhere. Any suggestions? As in long do you mean time or difficulty? There aren't many exercises so I'm assuming you mean it's hard and seems like it takes a while lol.
I would add dips on Wednesday. High Rep. Do 3 sets of as many as you can. When you get to where you can do three sets of 12 - 15, start adding weight to keep it in that rep range. Same with pullups.

It will definitely take a long time. I would guess that the Monday workout will take 90 minutes. 5 sets of 3 different big exercises plus warmups. Just the squat part will probably take me 40 minutes.
5x135
5x225
5x295
5x350
5x350
5x350
5x350
5x350

5-7 minutes in between each work set = a long day in the gym on the Monday of this program. Bench will probably be a little less and power cleans will be 3 minutes in between each. You won't need that much time at first, but when they start to get real heavy, you will be missing reps unless you take enough time.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #54
dinan Bimmer

12/15/10

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I think I've come to the realization that without eating to the point where I start to gain excess fat and have to take more supplements than I do now I'm genetically maxed out. I have a small bone structure and feel there isn't much more I can do. My training is going to change. Rather than trying to put on strong I'm just going to maintain the strength I have now, and try to incorporate more endurance and agility training. As far as weights go, I'm going to try to focus more on rep count, form, and making the muscle burn. After a few months I'll probably go back to heavy weights. This training style will probably be good anyway since I'm enrolled in the "Warrior Dash" marathon.

Today my workout was crap. I did two sets of deadlifts and went home. I had a pretty bad stomach and just called it quits.

Last edited by dinan Bimmer; 12-15-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:22 AM   #55
DylloS

Quote:
I would add dips on Wednesday. High Rep. Do 3 sets of as many as you can. When you get to where you can do three sets of 12 - 15, start adding weight to keep it in that rep range. Same with pullups.

It will definitely take a long time. I would guess that the Monday workout will take 90 minutes. 5 sets of 3 different big exercises plus warmups. Just the squat part will probably take me 40 minutes.
5x135
5x225
5x295
5x350
5x350
5x350
5x350
5x350

5-7 minutes in between each work set = a long day in the gym on the Monday of this program. Bench will probably be a little less and power cleans will be 3 minutes in between each. You won't need that much time at first, but when they start to get real heavy, you will be missing reps unless you take enough time.
why so many sets? it just asks for 5 heavy so wouldnt 2-3 lighter warm up sets be fine?
Old 12-16-2010, 09:13 AM   #56
Glight

Quote:
why so many sets? it just asks for 5 heavy so wouldnt 2-3 lighter warm up sets be fine?
Thats what I posted. 3 warm up sets. The heavy sets should be sets across at the same weight. I guess you could do less than 5 reps on the warmups, but I wouldnt want to go any lighter on the warmups. I try to pick my warmup weights so that the weight increase between each set gets smaller the higher the weights get (ie. 135 > 225 = 90 lbs, 225 > 295 = 70 lbs, 295 > 350 = 55 lbs). I've found it works well for me to feel good and ready to do some work.

How light of warmup sets do you mean before getting to your worksets?
Old 12-16-2010, 09:18 AM   #57
DylloS

Quote:
Thats what I posted. 3 warm up sets. The heavy sets should be sets across at the same weight. I guess you could do less than 5 reps on the warmups, but I wouldnt want to go any lighter on the warmups. I try to pick my warmup weights so that the weight increase between each set gets smaller the higher the weights get (ie. 135 > 225 = 90 lbs, 225 > 295 = 70 lbs, 295 > 350 = 55 lbs). I've found it works well for me to feel good and ready to do some work.

How light of warm up sets do you mean before getting to your work sets?
I'm sorry I was misunderstanding you. I was thinking those were sets and not reps lol. That's why I was confused lol.

I'm pretty weak at squatting now so my "heavy sets" the other day were about 200lbs. I did two warm up sets of 10x135
Old 12-16-2010, 10:23 AM   #58
Glight

Quote:
I'm sorry I was misunderstanding you. I was thinking those were sets and not reps lol. That's why I was confused lol.

I'm pretty weak at squatting now so my "heavy sets" the other day were about 200lbs. I did two warm up sets of 10x135
Nothing wrong with the heavy sets being at 200. I remember my first day doing the Starting Strength program my work sets were 3 sets of 5 at 180. That was less than two years ago and now I'm doing a 5x5 at 350. You can add weight to squats pretty damn quick. I would modify your warmup a bit though. Maybe 135x10 and then something like 175x5. That 65lbs is a big jump to get to 200.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:54 AM   #59
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I think I've come to the realization that without eating to the point where I start to gain excess fat and have to take more supplements than I do now I'm genetically maxed out. I have a small bone structure and feel there isn't much more I can do. My training is going to change. Rather than trying to put on strong I'm just going to maintain the strength I have now, and try to incorporate more endurance and agility training. As far as weights go, I'm going to try to focus more on rep count, form, and making the muscle burn. After a few months I'll probably go back to heavy weights. This training style will probably be good anyway since I'm enrolled in the "Warrior Dash" marathon.

Today my workout was crap. I did two sets of deadlifts and went home. I had a pretty bad stomach and just called it quits.
Sounds like a game plan.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #60
DylloS

Quote:
Nothing wrong with the heavy sets being at 200. I remember my first day doing the Starting Strength program my work sets were 3 sets of 5 at 180. That was less than two years ago and now I'm doing a 5x5 at 350. You can add weight to squats pretty damn quick. I would modify your warmup a bit though. Maybe 135x10 and then something like 175x5. That 65lbs is a big jump to get to 200.
probably a good idea. I'll probably be doing it on Saturday.