E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
cuz.iknim

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Send a message via AIM to cuz.iknim Send a message via MSN to cuz.iknim
XI Shaking again.........:(

So!!!

My car is shaking again.... I have a 2004 325xi automatic....
I had similar problem before... and it turned out to be CV Boot.

Issue is little bit different this time.....
When I had first issue, my car was only shaking when I stepped on the gas... and it didn't happen all the time.. it came and went away.. regardless of driving time...
This issue turned out to be CV Boot being torn. Dealer had it fixed and it was fine.. after wise...

Now this one is little bit different...

my car is ONLY SHAKING AFTER DRIVING FOR AN HOUR OR TWO
And rather than shaking it only stepping on the gas,,

it shakes when I step off of gas.. and it also shakes when I step on the gas as well.. but they don't happen together..

if it shakes when I step off of gas,, it doesn't shake when I step on the gas...
and if it shakes when I step on the gas, it doesn't shake if I step off of the gas...

All these symptoms happen only after driving for one of two hours... (when it heats up I am assuming?)

I did have my Driver Side CV Axle replaced with After Market...
It again had torn boot and my mechanic suggested me to replace entire thing... (but I did keep the old OEM part and I am planning to take it with me again this time if it is CV Axle Issue again...)

Does any of you guys had similar problem? Is this CV Axle Issue?
Let me know!!

I did make an appointment at the dealer to replace that after market CV Axle to just stop annoy me. But I just hope After Market CV Axle's causing this issue...

Confirm PLZ!!

Thanks!

cuz.iknim is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
nightrunner20

My Ride: will eat your dust
Send a message via AIM to nightrunner20
wow almost sounds like your axel is bent when u jack up up your car wiggle the wheels back and forth and see if theirs a lot of play compared to the other wheels. Could be your bearings.

did u ever hit anything in the past or drive over something?

does it shake when going down a hill? as u said after about a 2 hour drive it occurs seems REALLY werid though.

does the shaking feel as if its coming from the front or rear?

Last edited by nightrunner20; 01-22-2010 at 10:49 PM.
nightrunner20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
cuz.iknim

if it was bent,, then wouldn't it have been vibrating all the time? rather than after a while?

Old 01-22-2010, 10:54 PM   #4
nightrunner20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz.iknim View Post
if it was bent,, then wouldn't it have been vibrating all the time? rather than after a while?
yea. where does it feel its mostly coming from? front or rear?
Old 01-22-2010, 11:21 PM   #5
cuz.iknim

front...

Old 01-23-2010, 12:33 AM   #6
nightrunner20

jack the car up and wiggle around both wheels and see if one of them u are able to move around a bit. it may just be your bearings. if not ehhh
Old 01-23-2010, 12:37 AM   #7
cuz.iknim

I had this issue since last year... I had right wheel driver side wheel bearing replaced,,but it still vibrates......I had weird noise before.. but that noise is gone after replacing wheel bearing..

But nope... not the vibration...

Old 01-23-2010, 08:00 AM   #8
GCoop

My Ride: '04 325xi
OP--IF you are sure its not the CV boots this time AND you have an automatic then the next place I would suspect the issue would be your transmission. Have you ever changed the fluid? How many miles on the fluid?

I had a very similar issue and changing the fluid/filter solved it. My car would start the vibrations while at highway speeds under acceleration after about 45 minutes of continous highway driving. Never happened on decel like yours only accel. If you have ruled everything else (CV Boots and axels)out this may be your issue. It was for me. If you have over 60-70 thousand miles on your tranny fluid its probably good to change it for the peice of mind and to rule that out anyways. Hope this helps.
GCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:50 AM   #9
ixtoxi

My Ride: 02 330xi, 88 325iX
I'm betting CV axle. Did you have both replaced? The vibration after driving for an hour or so is the classic sign of a dry and binding CV joint.
ixtoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:50 AM   #10
shadow 2

My Ride: 07 328i
Instead of getting shotgun opinions which are probably all wrong and do nothing to answer your question, why not take it to the dealer or a good indy and get your problem correctly diagnosed?
shadow 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:39 PM   #11
cuz.iknim

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCoop View Post
OP--IF you are sure its not the CV boots this time AND you have an automatic then the next place I would suspect the issue would be your transmission. Have you ever changed the fluid? How many miles on the fluid?

I had a very similar issue and changing the fluid/filter solved it. My car would start the vibrations while at highway speeds under acceleration after about 45 minutes of continous highway driving. Never happened on decel like yours only accel. If you have ruled everything else (CV Boots and axels)out this may be your issue. It was for me. If you have over 60-70 thousand miles on your tranny fluid its probably good to change it for the peice of mind and to rule that out anyways. Hope this helps.
haven't changed any fluid yet.... but then, it didn't give me any problem either..
I was told that tranny fluid was for lifetime...

but yeah.. I am dong CV joints, Transmission Fluid Flush, Transfer Case Fluid Flush, and Fuel Filter change from dealer...
and Valve cover gasket, spark plugs, air filter and micro filter from indy shop..

I gotta change brake fluid, differential and power steering soon as well.. but I don't think these are causing the issue...

I hope one of these solve the issue...

Old 01-23-2010, 12:40 PM   #12
cuz.iknim

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow 2 View Post
Instead of getting shotgun opinions which are probably all wrong and do nothing to answer your question, why not take it to the dealer or a good indy and get your problem correctly diagnosed?
been in 3 different dealer and nearly 10 mechanics.....................
no one could figure it out....

Old 01-23-2010, 12:41 PM   #13
cuz.iknim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtoxi View Post
I'm betting CV axle. Did you have both replaced? The vibration after driving for an hour or so is the classic sign of a dry and binding CV joint.

Just the driver side... but I really don't trust aftermarket axle.. so I am changing it back to OEM...

I hope passenger side it good....

Old 01-23-2010, 12:53 PM   #14
ixtoxi

My Ride: 02 330xi, 88 325iX
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow 2 View Post
The opinions expressed are hardly shotgun. People having experience with the same problem provide things for the OP to check and consider. That is what keeps people from having to go to a dealer or other mechanic to diagnose for them whenever issues arise. That is what this forum is all about. So, when you have an issue with your car, please take it to the dealer to have them figure it out for you rather than seek advice on this forum.
ixtoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #15
cuz.iknim

they couldn't tell...they figured it was bearing........but then no.... nothing changed with shaking.. and they don't even believe what I say.. because when they test drive it... it works fine........
They don't test drive for more than one or two hours....

Old 01-23-2010, 01:30 PM   #16
bmwguyNC

My Ride: 02 325i orient blue
Send a message via AIM to bmwguyNC
When I had my 325xi. Mine turned out to be a brake caliper sticking. That will definately cause steering wheel shake. Get the calipers checked. Usually happened after the brakes warmed up.
bmwguyNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:08 PM   #17
bombguy

My Ride: 2004 M3
Might want to check your boots again and possibly get a diff. oil change. Sounds similar to an issue I had with my old Xi. Search my old threads if you want.
bombguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:33 PM   #18
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
I know what it is.

It's your passenger side inner cv boot asking for grease. I haven't had the same problem, but i do read every xi thread, and PM everybody who doesn't post up what solved their problem.

Oh and OP- why would you take it to the dealer for minor stuff like this? You need to find an indy bro.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:48 AM   #19
cuz.iknim

All of them don't think it's CV Boot.. and I personally went under the car and saw no rip at all in any of the boots..
by the way how do you know it is passenger side?

I heard fuel filter change and transmission fluid change could do some harm.. and was told to use OEM if I could....
And for transfer case... I just had no idea what it is lol so yeah..

For the little stuff like valve cover gasket, spark plugs, air filter and micro filter are waiting for my mechanic..

Maybe I should take it to dealer for valve cover gasket? or would they do fine?

Old 01-24-2010, 04:54 AM   #20
cuz.iknim

Just wondering..

Wasn't there a kit for Torn CV Boot? Kit that include grease and boot and Etc.? I thought Tischer had it... Didn't they? Can anyone give me the link??'

Never mind...I found it...

No. Description Supplement--- Qty--- Part Number--- Price
04 Repair kit bellows, interior--- 2--- 31607507403--- $52.16
05 Repair kit bellows, exterior--- 2--- 31607507402--- $50.79

But question... It says quality of 2.. so does it mean if I order above two items, I would be able to fix all 4 boots???

Someone please let me know... Probably Jason at Tischer?! Thanks!

Last edited by cuz.iknim; 01-24-2010 at 05:15 AM.