E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 02:53 PM   #1
karumph1

My Ride: 325i
e46 drivers side door lock cylinder problem solved

If your drivers side door lock spins 90 degrees in either direction and won't lock/unlock, then this information is probably exactly what you need.
Read:
My 325i keyless entry broke, so I had been using the key to manually unlock my car. I took it to the shop, and the mechanic wanted $500 dollars to fix it...$200 for the part, $300 for labor. I looked around on the internet and couldn't find any answers on how to fix it or what was wrong, but I did find out how to take out the cylinder myself. I took it out and realized that the only part that was broken was a tiny metal piece that connects the lock cylinder to the part that unlocks the car (i believe its called the actuator?). So i'm going to post a picture of what broke and I plan to go to a junkyard and take this tiny metal piece out of a wrecked 3 series. I'm 100% sure this is the only part that is broken, and this fix will be an incredibly easy DIY and probably cost me about $20 tops. Hopefully this guide helps out another bmw owner with the same problem, because apparently theres lots of people on the internet who had the same problem I did.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

New:
Ok, so I ordered the part for $29 on Ebay from osco_ltd and it took about a week to get here. I fixed the broken part and reassembled the lock. I installed it and it works perfectly. It took me a little while to figure out how to put the lock back together properly, and I had the most problems figuring out how the spring works. Here is the explanation on how to re-assemble it.

go to the post by "ledfut" with the attached pictures.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1552024

Last edited by karumph1; 12-24-2010 at 11:37 AM.
karumph1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:53 PM   #2
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...Q5fAccessories

Unfortunately I have only seen these pieces listed on ebay outside the US.

Looks like about $29 US??
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
h4nh

My Ride: 05' 325i
I had the same issue. I bought a whole new lock cylinder for about 150 at the dealer
h4nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
mikeyh1015

My Ride: Bmw 04' 330ci coupe
does this also apply to my 04 330ci?
mikeyh1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
2003 325i

My Ride: '03 Orient Blue 325i
I bought a new cyl at the dealer too... coded from Germany... I'm afraid to take my old one apart to find something that could've only cost 30 bucks...
2003 325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #6
scooterjcx

So i bought my 01 325i five speed this week and i love it, what didnt go threw my head was to check if the key works, so yah my remote and door keylock dont work, so i cant lock my car! after lots and lots of searching i found on ebay where i can buy the repair kit, but i bought the cheap one with no instructions, searched some more on ebay and found someone that was offering a instruction video with the kit so i wrote to the guy saying that i want to see the video before i get the kit to see if i can do it myself or have the stealership do it so he sent me the link i hope this helps answer all of your questions.

glad to help on my first post
e46fanatics is the bomb!
scooterjcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:01 AM   #7
anhtu402

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterjcx View Post
So i bought my 01 325i five speed this week and i love it, what didnt go threw my head was to check if the key works, so yah my remote and door keylock dont work, so i cant lock my car! after lots and lots of searching i found on ebay where i can buy the repair kit, but i bought the cheap one with no instructions, searched some more on ebay and found someone that was offering a instruction video with the kit so i wrote to the guy saying that i want to see the video before i get the kit to see if i can do it myself or have the stealership do it so he sent me the link i hope this helps answer all of your questions.

e46fanatics is the bomb!
YOU ARE AWESOME!!!

Who did you buy the kit from? Are you still waiting?

I need to fix mine.
anhtu402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #8
scooterjcx

this is the part i got and yes i"m waiting for its arrival

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...Q5fAccessories
Old 02-22-2011, 05:43 PM   #9
TruongCT

My Ride: 2003 330CI
Does anyone have diy instructions how on to get that out of your door to replace the kit? thanks
TruongCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:47 PM   #10
anhtu402

I have not done it yet nor seen any pictures on here. However, I have read that it's pretty easy to get the cylinder out. Read here (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ght=key+unlock) , I'm planning to do this soon as my key does not open the front door, it just turns to the right/left without any spring action to bring it back to up/down position.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:04 AM   #11
anhtu402

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...+lock+cylinder

Found it, how to remove the cylinder..
Old 02-23-2011, 12:46 AM   #12
dr2

My Ride: Black 325i 2003
thank you for this thread, mine just broke today
Old 02-23-2011, 10:23 AM   #13
anhtu402

I am having trouble taking this cylinder out. Is this the hole that I can for find the hex screw to release the cylinder?

I can see the cylinder has been broken, but just cant seem to see the hex screw to unscrew it to take it out.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	door.jpg
Views:	1071
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	394165  

Last edited by anhtu402; 02-23-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:39 AM   #14
anhtu402

Okay .. I finnally found the.hex screw to the far left of the hole.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
Old 03-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #15
scooterjcx

got the parts today installed in 5 minutes now my lock works lock unlock open and close windows
joy
Old 04-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #16
junkiekommando

My Ride: 02 330i, 91 318is
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterjcx View Post

e46fanatics is the bomb!

Thanks! im gonna replace mine in a few days. just waiting for the repair kit.

junkiekommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:17 PM   #17
KnightroExpress

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Aww, man! I wish I had seen this thread a few days ago! Ordered a whole new cylinder from my indy. Ah well, at least I'll know for next time.
KnightroExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #18
p19blo

My Ride: 318i
Hey guys, new here, i read this thread when redoing my lock cylinder, took apart fine, put back together fine, but now when key is left in lock ( i havent put back in my car yet, its stationary position is that if you were locking the door, and if i turn it to go to the position of unlocking the door, it does not get that far, it just goes to the position it would if you were taking the key out or putting the key in.... any ideas why its stationary position is the locking position and why it wont let me go to the unlocking position... any help would be appreciated

So im not double posting

*EDIT*

The reason for my above problem is the kit i bought came with 2 parts and i have to pick one or the other, the different between these 2 were the inner slots the key cylinder were in were different to the other spare, so i swapped them round and voila problem solved.

Last edited by p19blo; 05-10-2011 at 12:30 PM.
p19blo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:20 PM   #19
Shanealan

My Ride: 325i No heatbeat yet
Thank you sooo much for the info. Mine was broke when I bought the car.

Shanealan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:55 PM   #20
DBMW

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
Lightbulb Cylinder lock

I just want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. Ever since I bought my 2000 BMW 323i a few weeks ago, I had not been able to lock the car. The key did not work on the driver's side and it also did not lock the car electronically. I was driving to work and the mall and leaving it unlocked to make it easy for a car thief to have his way. Thanks to your post, I can happily say that I was able to repair the lock myself.

I had called the dealer and they said the lock would be $111.00 + $200 for labor So I decided to go to a nearby junkyard. They removed the lock cylinder from a BMW in their yard. Unfortunately, or fortunately for me, the long rod that connects to the lock was broken and it was the only one they had. The guy at the place said that it was probably the same rod that was broken on mine and since I had not taken mine apart to check, I took it as fact. While at the yard, I dismantled the part to see how it was put together. They were impressed that I knew how to take it apart (I only knew thanks to the video of how to put it back together on this thread ) I was disappointed and asked the guy if I could take the part home and he agreed since he would not be able to sell it broken.

I got home and began to remove the one on my door. I was scared at first, because I could tell that the previous owner had attempted this already. I found this out when I realized he had replaced the allen screw holding the cylinder with a basic phillips screw. I looked inside with a flashlight and saw that the rod was intact. I removed the lock cylinder and compared it to the one I had brought home. It turned out that the part that was broken on mine, was intact on the junkyard one. I switched the parts and very carefully reassembled. The spring was the hardest part, but a pair of small pliers did the trick. When I was done the lock looked new. I put it back in and now it works fine

I can finally sleep knowing my car is locked.

THANKS, BIG THANKS

Last edited by DBMW; 06-04-2011 at 05:56 PM.
DBMW is offline   Reply With Quote