E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2014, 09:41 PM   #1
Ceric

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325i
Let's hear some ideas for least intrusive immobilizers.

The issue at hand here is that people like to sneak out an joyride my E46. To solve this I plan on installing a very simple immobilizer. However, at the same time, I hate the idea of having to slice up cables in my car (I am OEM obsessed ).

Are there non intrusive ways to immobilize a car other than unhooking the battery every time I park it? Or is this just a pipe dream?

Because I hate getting in the car the next day and finding out someone clocked in 80 km on it. Well actually thats not as bad as finding damn shue prints on the DASHBOARD !

Now I don't like cock-blocking as much as the next guy but this has crossed the line.
Ceric is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:57 PM   #2
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
If your fingerprint doesn't match the door handle, a random selection from the middle of one of Ron Jeremy's ball-slappy classics starts blaring from under the hood.

No one will ever drive that car.

Last edited by Zell; 06-23-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Zell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:02 PM   #3
johngreaver

My Ride: 02 325i
get a bedside safe keep your fcking keys in it. Problem solved.

Pre 03 AUX IN DIY

"Also I seen a honda with an intercooler on the front that i wanted on my car. I know i dont have a turbo or supercharger ,but can I still but one on my car , I think it would atleast get me 10 or so hp."

Last edited by johngreaver; 06-23-2014 at 10:02 PM.
johngreaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:18 PM   #4
Ceric

Keeping my kees safe is easy, but I made a 2nd pair so that he can use the car for work, and approved leisure time.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:21 PM   #5
Ceric

John, in your signature picture, are the corner signal indicators smoked, or just the regular clear and black? The grille chrome looks like it is painted, do you have a bigger picture?
Old 06-24-2014, 12:52 AM   #6
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Get better friends? The ones that don't jack your sh!t.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:13 AM   #7
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceric View Post
Keeping my kees safe is easy, but I made a 2nd pair so that he can use the car for work, and approved leisure time.

So it's a shared car? Then get over it. Either lock ALL of the keys in a safe, or get over it. What's the difference of immobilizing the car or locking all the keys away?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-24-2014, 01:53 AM   #8
speedspeedspeed

My Ride: Nimbus 2000
There's this thing called T-splicer. I forgot what it was called, but you're not really cutting the wires. You're just cutting out the rubber protector and keeping the wires in tact at the same time. That T-splicer snaps into place in between the cut rubber protector of the wire.

Fuel cut off switch?

There's also another way with the battery. You take out the positive wire from the battery and hook it onto a lever switch (I forgot what they were called). That lever switch is connected to the battery. You would have to switch the lever so it would make contact with the other side of the lever (on) to make a complete circuit. You would have to get in the engine bay every time before you turn on your car though. This method, you don't need to splice any wires. I've seen this done on cars with the battery in the engine bay.

With our cars, you can just connect that lever switch onto the positive terminal in the engine bay. No need to hook it up to the battery since there wouldn't be space anyway.
speedspeedspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:59 AM   #9
SilberVogel
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 330Ci Conv.
Quote:
The issue at hand here is that people like to sneak out an joyride my E46. To solve this I plan on installing a very simple immobilizer. However, at the same time, I hate the idea of having to slice up cables in my car (I am OEM obsessed ).

Are there non intrusive ways to immobilize a car other than unhooking the battery every time I park it?
Or is this just a pipe dream?

Because I hate getting in the car the next day and finding out someone clocked in 80 km on it. Well actually thats not as bad as finding damn shue prints on the DASHBOARD !

Now I don't like cock-blocking as much as the next guy but this has crossed the line.
Quote:
If you were considering disconnecting the battery, and if the other person has a duplicate key, what's to stop them from reconnecting it? Don't understand your full situation, but a less intrusive and easier method could be to simply pull the fuel pump fuse (or any other crucial one)?
Old 06-24-2014, 02:23 AM   #10
peytonracer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedspeedspeed View Post
There's this thing called T-splicer. I forgot what it was called, but you're not really cutting the wires. You're just cutting out the rubber protector and keeping the wires in tact at the same time. That T-splicer snaps into place in between the cut rubber protector of the wire.

Fuel cut off switch?

There's also another way with the battery. You take out the positive wire from the battery and hook it onto a lever switch (I forgot what they were called). That lever switch is connected to the battery. You would have to switch the lever so it would make contact with the other side of the lever (on) to make a complete circuit. You would have to get in the engine bay every time before you turn on your car though. This method, you don't need to splice any wires. I've seen this done on cars with the battery in the engine bay.

With our cars, you can just connect that lever switch onto the positive terminal in the engine bay. No need to hook it up to the battery since there wouldn't be space anyway.
yeah... that's going to accomplish absolutely nothing. a switch needs to be in line before the accessory.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:22 AM   #11
speedspeedspeed

My Ride: Nimbus 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
yeah... that's going to accomplish absolutely nothing. a switch needs to be in line before the accessory.
The positive wire from the battery to the engine bay, is that just one straight wire (no splice done to it)? I thought it was.

I thought that all the other accessories were getting power from the terminal in the engine bay, not from the actual wire that goes FROM THE BATTERY TO THE ENGINE BAY?
speedspeedspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:35 AM   #12
rbalazsi

My Ride: 323iT, 330Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngreaver View Post
get a bedside safe keep your fcking keys in it. Problem solved.
This. You're trying to solve with tech or mechnical means a social problem.

Really, you should just have a conversation with him and advise him if he keeps taking your car without approval, then you simply won't lend him the car any longer.

But if you absolutely have to lend him the car for work, then as suggested above, just keep both sets of keys in a bedside safe and you can give him the keys for work or approved time.

Last edited by rbalazsi; 06-24-2014 at 11:36 AM.
rbalazsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:33 PM   #13
peytonracer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedspeedspeed View Post
The positive wire from the battery to the engine bay, is that just one straight wire (no splice done to it)? I thought it was.

I thought that all the other accessories were getting power from the terminal in the engine bay, not from the actual wire that goes FROM THE BATTERY TO THE ENGINE BAY?
i don't think everything is getting power from the terminal in the engine bay. look at it. there's like nothing really attached to it. as far as i know, it's really just a jumper terminal and nothing more.