E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #21
Starless

My Ride: 02' 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterjcx View Post
got the parts today installed in 5 minutes now my lock works lock unlock open and close windows
joy
Scooterjcx, thank you for posting the video. It helped a lot. I rebuilt my lock using the repair kit from the ebay seller in Turkey and I'm back in business.

Took me may be 30 minutes and cost $41 (including super fast shipping from Turkey). The hardest part was to bring the spring to tension and when I did and thought I was all done I found out that I used the part for the right door lock instead of the left door lock part that was also included in the kit. Had to redo it, but by that time I got the hang of how to assemble it and it took less time to put it together the right way.
Starless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:08 PM   #22
JCJR

My Ride: 2003 325i
Hey guys,

I have the same problem. I removed the key and saw that one of the inner rings broke off. I am ordering the part today.

I do have a couple of questions:

1. My whole assembly including the cylinder, spring etc are all dirty. How do I clean this?

2. Do I oil the cylinder, use WD-40 or do I need to put grease anywhere?

Thanks in advance.
JCJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #23
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
For most of the mechanism you can use white lithium grease. For the cylinder (especially where the key goes) use graphite powder.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:06 PM   #24
natepad

My Ride: 2003 330xi
Awesome video. But, getting that spring set is a pain in the a$$. Don't know how you made it look so easy.

A small minor detail that may save you some future fanatics some time: You may need to turn the key in the lock COUNTERCLOCKWISE when installing it back in the door in order to line up the "teeth" of the rod with the door.
natepad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #25
DDP

My Ride: 323i
Scooter,
Thank you so much for that valuable info and video. With two small kids who love to slam doors, I've learned to replace door regulators and a bunch of other wear and tear items because of the invaluable posts from generous people such as yourself. Thank you again!
Just ordered my part from Turkey for $41.00 US with expedited delivery 3-6 days. Pal, you just saved me a boatload!
My Dad once said to me, "Son, when I was a boy in the depression, some kids had a couple of bucks in their back pockets and I always had my ingenuity." He taught me how to be resourceful and to work with my hands. And it is this ethic that rings true here in this site. Here's to all you guys out there with ingenuity and determination. Us: 1 Them (BMW Stealership): 0
DDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:21 PM   #26
DDP

My Ride: 323i
E46 door locks came in from Turkey...and the winner is...

ME!!!!!!!!!!!
So. here is the straight skinny:

The video provided earlier by Scooter was a huge help. The very nimble fingers of the individual in the video make it look easier then it actually is. After 45 minutes of trying to get that spring to wind and stay seated in position I started having visions of me in the BMW dealership with a box of parts.
As a side note, you will find two couplings, one for the left door(USA driver) side and a second coupling machined presumably for the right, which my 2000 323i does not have. It is important you choose the correct one and follow the video very closely.
During the course of watching the video and numerous attempts, I decided to put the key in to help manipulate that bloody spring into place. Bad idea. The cylinder came out along with the tumbler plates and springs. Fortunately, I was able to get the configuration right, reassembled and functioning again. Needle nose pliers helped a lot and I came close to calling my wife, but all came together in the end and I am now fully functional. Saved a boatload and avoided a pantload in the process. Good times...

Last edited by DDP; 09-22-2011 at 01:24 PM.
DDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #27
timalex1

My Ride: 2002 330i
So, how do you get the driver's door open when the key spins the lock, and the door handle from the inside won't work either? I'm sending my GM5 for repairs, know I need to replace the broken lock cylinder part, but can't get the door open in the first place! Help!
timalex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #28
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
Used door actuators go for $50-75 shipped on the forums. Don't go and waste your money at dealerships
zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:12 PM   #29
Fajitas

My Ride: 04 E46
Just completed this fix, though it was a little tricky, the video helped tremendously. Thank's to all of you that have contributed to this DIY. Saved me some money and wasn't that difficult at all. For those of you undertaking this fix, use the brass colored ring if your car is a U.S. car.

Last edited by Fajitas; 11-25-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Fajitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:05 PM   #30
goodtohave

My Ride: 325iT
Just did it too....

Looks weird in the video, never thought I would get it but I did!

Just line everything up like the video, my only problem was I lost the little pin but I just hammered a drill bit in and cut it off.

Perfect....thanks to everyone for the info.
goodtohave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #31
Fajitas

Yeah, I couldn't locate the pin either. I discovered it by trying to install the lock without it installed. Needless to say the whole assembly fell into the door and I had to go fishing and then located the pin. Relatively easy fix...
Old 03-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #32
BMW2003325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
I have the same problem where my car will not unlock with the fob and I cannot unlock it with my key manually. I have order the replacement parts for the lock and I've noticed that the plastic piece inside the door and the the cross at the end of the lock assembly will not align. Has anyone had a problem with the plastic piece not aligning properly? The lock assembly can only go together one way so I do not believe that this is put together incorrectly. Does anyone know how to adjust the plastic piece so they will align? Any help would be appreciated...
BMW2003325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #33
timalex1

My Ride: 2002 330i
Lock cylinder

If your key spins in the lock and the fob won't unlock the doors, it could be the key. But, in my case, it was the central locking system switch, located on the console by the hazard lights. I found a YouTube video after 4 1/2 months of searching for answers. I sent the GM5 for repairs, etc. (My doors wouldn't open from the inside either). The switch was broken on the bottom of the case, so the switch, when depressed, wouldn't contact on the little motherboard inside the case. New switch from junkyard $25. Check and see if your hazards work, if they don't, replace the switch.
timalex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #34
epenbecks

My Ride: 325ci '01
i just got mine today from ebay. but when i try to install the new one i got stuck, it was really difficult. and now i found this thread. i'll try later. i wish it works.

325 | coupe | 2001 | 5MT | BLACKonBLACK
www.bucksintl.com
epenbecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #35
epenbecks

that video really helpfull. i just did for my car and its work. thanx for the video

www.bucksintl.com
Old 04-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #36
TynWarrior

My Ride: '95 M3, '00 323i
So my lock has been broke since bought car, it was just spinning in circles, and when finally decided to fix it, had an issue.

I used one of those ebay repair kits, and I'm almost positive fixed it as was supposed to. But key doesn't turn at all. Key goes in, but I can't turn it at all when all parts are on.

Anyone ever come across this? Could it seriously be key doesn't match cylinder?
TynWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #37
epenbecks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TynWarrior View Post
So my lock has been broke since bought car, it was just spinning in circles, and when finally decided to fix it, had an issue.

I used one of those ebay repair kits, and I'm almost positive fixed it as was supposed to. But key doesn't turn at all. Key goes in, but I can't turn it at all when all parts are on.

Anyone ever come across this? Could it seriously be key doesn't match cylinder?
make sure all the parts match each other. it happened to me when i try to fix mine because the cylinder i pout didnt match. try to remove it.

www.bucksintl.com
Old 04-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #38
base1er

My Ride: 1999 328i
guys

How do you get the old pieces out though?
base1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #39
epenbecks

put in your key so the whole cylinder can go through

www.bucksintl.com
Old 04-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #40
Fajitas

Just an FYI.... I had to replace the part's for a second time today. I have been trying to avoid paying $160 for a new FOB and had been just using the key to lock and unlock my car. Well, the locking mechanism broke once again and had to replace a second time. Seem's these cars are not meant to be locked and unlocked without the FOB. Looks like I have to go and spend the money to get a replacement key because it looks like the replacement kit is made out of the same crappy materials as the original.