E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2016, 11:19 AM   #1
E46Rey

My Ride: e46 325xi 5sp
is it the clutch?

hey guys, im going to apologize in advance for how long this post is going to be, gotta take my anger out somewhere. So ever since my e46 hit 100k ive been on this forum nonstop 24/7 bought it at 86k(now at 110k) i loved my xi NEVER had a problem the whole ride up untill 99,999 literally. so the problem/s(04 e46xi MT)

PROBLEM#1 im going to start with this because i feel as if this contributes to all/ most of the other problems.. The clutch, today i get on the freeway on my way to work as usual, Shifting through every gear like butter for the first time in a while (no slipps at all).im in 5th @ 3k rpm and i decided i wanted a little pull since it had been a while, gradually step on the gas, i hear my engine rev , i see the rpm needle going up , The car doesnt go any faster. my rpms jumped from 3k to about 3800 and then back to 3500 and thats when my car decided to take off.i pulled off to the right and went full throttle from first gear to 4th no slipps, rpm and mph in sync and every single time i get to 5th i always get a slip.

PROBLEM#2 ever since last month ive had shifting issues. at first i thought it was all in my head, but ive been driving stick all my life, i know i cant miss 3rd gear so much. about 50% of the time i go from 2nd to 3rd, the car just goes straight into 5th. any time i go from 2nd to 3rd to 4th, 5th is a pita, its as if theres a wall blocking 5th & i have to double clutch to get it in. There are times where i cant even get into first smoothly & i have to clutch in/out 2-3 times.
PROBLEM#2.5 when i do manage to get into first smoothly, every once in a while i get a slight jerk motion/ thump noise. the only thing i found in other post that this could be because of a worn diff bushing.

FINAL PROBLEM: this is the first time this happens since ive owned the car. this morning when i started my car for its routine 10min warm up, just before im about to take off(car in neutral) i reach in the back seat for my phone which fell out of my pocket. as im reaching back my foot slightly tapped the gas & tada just like magic, my car stalls. i tried reenacting the scenario but never happened again. read somewhere that this could be due to a vacuum leak. Which might be true because sometimes when i step on the gas i hear a little whistle, kind of like a blow off valve.

At this point im ready to throw in the towel as im very close to 2k in repairs already ,which amazes me with all of the maintenance record this car has & me being the second owner. i feel as if i should just drive into a ditch and light it on fire. im spending way too much time & the money i had to mod her

i had big plans on modds and looks & of course for a little winter fun every once in a while but all these problems are just encouraging me to get rid of her faster than i intended. Give me some input people!
E46Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:21 PM   #2
mpvue

My Ride: '04 325xi stick
why do you warm up your car for 10 minutes?
Old 05-06-2016, 01:28 PM   #3
Pole position

My Ride: E46 330ci
Definitely clutch of its slipping. Maybe the slave cylinder as well. Detent pins and a bronze pivot pin while your in there.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:37 PM   #4
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 Orient 330i/5
Problem #2 sounds an awful lot like shift bushings. I have similar issues on my 330. Have a bushing refresh kit on the workbench but have yet to install.

Current: '02 330i/5 '06 XC90 '72 240Z
Past: '85 RX-7 GSL-SE '95 540i/6 '95 525i/5 '86 635CSi/5 '88 JZA70 '86 4K quattro '85 RX-7 S
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:49 PM   #5
E46Rey

is it the clutch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpvue View Post
why do you warm up your car for 10 minutes?

It's just a habit I've always had. To let the oil flow through good. Since the car sits over night if I just take off I don't believe the oil would be at operating specs since most of it sits at the bottom and of course to warm up the car past blue

Last edited by E46Rey; 05-06-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:52 PM   #6
E46Rey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pole position View Post
Definitely clutch of its slipping. Maybe the slave cylinder as well. Detent pins and a bronze pivot pin while your in there.

How long do you think till I get worst clutch symptoms. Im trying to atleast milk atleast a month out of it, which I think might be possible since I only get little slip in 5th & will definitely have to look into those
Old 05-06-2016, 02:52 PM   #7
Spannerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Rey View Post
It's just a habit I've always had. To let the oil flow through good. Since the car sits over night if I just take off I don't believe the oil would be at operating specs since most of it sits at the bottom and of course to warm up the car past blue
You're probably doing more harm than good. Oil pressure is established within the first few seconds after starting the car, and the oil temp doesn't come up until you actually drive the car and put a load on the engine.

Sorry, but the best case scenario is that you're just burning a bunch of gas...

Past: '85 RX-7 GSL-SE '95 540i/6 '95 525i/5 '86 635CSi/5 '88 JZA70 '86 4K quattro '85 RX-7 S
Old 05-06-2016, 02:56 PM   #8
E46Rey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
Problem #2 sounds an awful lot like shift bushings. I have similar issues on my 330. Have a bushing refresh kit on the workbench but have yet to install.

Is reverse sometimes hard to get into for you? Because there are random days that I literally need to smack my reverse in . Where did you get your kit from? I was looking into the ecs kit
Old 05-06-2016, 03:01 PM   #9
E46Rey

Quote:
You're probably doing more harm than good. Oil pressure is established within the first few seconds after starting the car, and the oil temp doesn't come up until you actually drive the car and put a load on the engine.

It's just a habit I was born into I guess lol, runs in the family to warm your car up a little. Specially in the winter
Old 05-06-2016, 03:11 PM   #10
E46Rey

Quote:

I also noticed that my car never smokes on short trips as to every e46 I've seen has smoke coming regardless of the weather. I doubt that other than waisting a little gas id be doing harsh damage. Correct me if I'm wrong
Old 05-06-2016, 03:15 PM   #11
Spannerhead

Quote:
Is reverse sometimes hard to get into for you? Because there are random days that I literally need to smack my reverse in . Where did you get your kit from? I was looking into the ecs kit
Reverse is supposed to be a little hard to get into, but not as hard as you're describing.

Got my kit from Pelican. $75 or so IIRC.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:42 PM   #12
mpvue

My Ride: '04 325xi stick
Quote:
I also noticed that my car never smokes on short trips as to every e46 I've seen has smoke coming regardless of the weather. I doubt that other than waisting a little gas id be doing harsh damage. Correct me if I'm wrong
http://www.businessinsider.com/heres...ot-good-2016-1
Old 05-07-2016, 03:54 PM   #13
E46Rey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpvue View Post

Wel, I guess you learn something new every day. As I was starting my car this morning, almost stuck to the routine 10min . But I remembered & took off; everything felt the same, just had a little bit of smoke for the first few min.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:10 PM   #14
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Wel, I guess you learn something new every day. As I was starting my car this morning, almost stuck to the routine 10min . But I remembered & took off; everything felt the same, just had a little bit of smoke for the first few min.
the smoke has nothing to do with you oil temps. it is because your cats aren't warmed up yet. this doesn't do any harm to the car whatsoever. and you're actually polluting less by driving instead of warming up because the car warms up faster if you drive it right away.
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote