E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #41
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mth33 View Post
2003 330ci 103k miles zf5hp19 tranny. I have replaced my alternator, battery, and starter (in that order) since I purchased my car in oct 2011. Since 2011, my car has seen the "Cog" give or take 5 times. All at a stop signs. I have always turned off my car and back on, and it goes away. one day this happened and my car goes into "limp mode" The only lights on my dash are the service engine light, and the "Cog"

after research I find that I should replace my speed sensor, and turbine sensor, along with changing the ATF fluid.

After these procedures I Have my car re-flashed at Kuni BMW, portland OR.

Car runs So nice! brand new feeling!

(now I tell you I am running aftermarket angle eyes, Aftermarket speakers front only, and a aftermarket subwoofer with amp)

After my car is running so nicely, I decide to hook up my sub. drive for about 10 mins With OUT the music on, and I come to a stop. at the stop I turn on my music, and immediately after I play a song I hear a knock under the car, and my service engine light, and Cog lights come back on.''

this is my story, im still looking for a cause and a cure. I will update here the second I figure it out. Tho I am thinking of just doing a manual swap.
There was an SIB (technical service bulletin) from BMW that warns that aftermarket audio system can cause the transmission to go haywire. I saw this SIB a few years ago but i think it has to do with inproper grounding or installation that interfere with the dme/egs signals.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

sent from my HTC EVO+ using Bimmer App
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #42
ruracing1

My Ride: 330xi
My red battery lite came on and the car didn't want to pull from a stop light, abs and brake lite also came on and it showed 2 tail lites out. Driving to Autozone a parking lite also showed out. Autozone test showed bad battery though fully charged which would indicate alternator ok. Replaced battery and 2 tail lights but they still wouldn't work. Red battery light still on too. Car went into 3rd & 4th gear only mode again. When I'm on the gas the battery light goes off till I let off the gas, same with the brake & abs light, they go off when I use the brakes and come back on when I let off the brake, I could have that part backwards.
ruracing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #43
Rezist09

My Ride: 325i sedan
I just got incorrect gear ratio 3 on my rebuild trans zf
Any clue what to do?
Rezist09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #44
CTID1987

My Ride: 320td compact.
Hi,
First post so be nice haha.

I've got a 2003 320td compact. Same engine as 320d and the GM 360/390r box.
161k miles!

Only owned the car two weeks. A few days back the Mrs complained that the car had no power and a light come on the dash.
Long story short, every time car is started in the morning, and is stone cold the gearbox goes into limp mode and gets stuck in 3rd gear. After a couple of minutes if you switch off and take key out and restart it is fine for rest of day. We did 50+ miles without a hiccup. No knocks bangs nothing, just smooth shifting!

Same thing happens every morning unless you let the car idle for a few minutes.

Anyway yesterday, full service including dropping the pan and changing tranny filter. Nothing untoward in there. Only what I would have thought was normal amount of material on magnet.
Oil was obviously black and smelly too.

Shifts Alot better straight after, very smooth aswell, however this morning Still the same!! Although only took maybe 2-3 minutes to clear and was fine again!
CTID1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #45
CTID1987

My Ride: 320td compact.
Anyway....

Gt1 shows 35 gear monitoring...

Also battery is original (10yr old) showing green indicator meaning it needs replacing...

What do you reckon?
CTID1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #46
nateo

My Ride: 2002 330ci
I am having same issue. Throwing a P0600 and operating in limp mode. Voltage checks out, Excellent battery, pretty much new. I went down to salvage yard today, picked up what appears to be a exact replacement (they both have same part number). Slapped it in, still having same issue. Guy had counter said that they have to be reprogrammed for a specific vin number.

I called my local steeler today (this time I got someone that knew what I was talking about). They claim hour and a half and they want $210 to program. I'm wondering if I should put the old one back in and have them try to reprogram that one.
nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #47
coolmellowdude

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i
Have similar issue with orange gearbox warning light comes on while idle for a period of time. NO CODES.
coolmellowdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #48
RICKDAGER

My Ride: BMW
325i 2002 4door 85000 miles
Need help.. A light vibration at 60mph .... After three months the trans gear light and went into limp mode. .. I kept driving like this for a month n then lost reverse. Got tired of driving without reverse so I purchase a use transmission and install it. I have reverse now but the gear light is still on. I'm thinking of swapping the trans module ...
RICKDAGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #49
RICKDAGER

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateo View Post
I am having same issue. Throwing a P0600 and operating in limp mode. Voltage checks out, Excellent battery, pretty much new. I went down to salvage yard today, picked up what appears to be a exact replacement (they both have same part number). Slapped it in, still having same issue. Guy had counter said that they have to be reprogrammed for a specific vin number.

I called my local steeler today (this time I got someone that knew what I was talking about). They claim hour and a half and they want $210 to program. I'm wondering if I should put the old one back in and have them try to reprogram that one.
Dude if u need a trans let me know.. My friend just total his 325i 2000.
I'm pulling out his trans module. Because I have a gear light
RICKDAGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #50
nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKDAGER View Post
325i 2002 4door 85000 miles
Need help.. A light vibration at 60mph .... After three months the trans gear light and went into limp mode. .. I kept driving like this for a month n then lost reverse. Got tired of driving without reverse so I purchase a use transmission and install it. I have reverse now but the gear light is still on. I'm thinking of swapping the trans module ...
I have one that I will sell you for very cheap if you want it. $40 or something. However, here's a tip. Check your fuse pack in engine bay first (the box were all wires goes into). Make sure none are blown. If you so you likely have a bad transmission wiring harness.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #51
coolmellowdude

I experienced the problem with my transmission going into safe mode and needing to stop and reset. The reason, I was not pressing on the break while shifting from park to drive. Following the manual - press on break then shift from park to drive, I never had another problem. I guess the computer just doesn't like it and gets confused.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #52
markwainwright3

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330 M Sport
Hello, sorry to revive an old thread but I was just wondering if you were ever able to figure out what was causing your problems? I'm in the same position right now and feeling very anxious awaiting an answer.
markwainwright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #53
coolmellowdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwainwright3 View Post
Hello, sorry to revive an old thread but I was just wondering if you were ever able to figure out what was causing your problems? I'm in the same position right now and feeling very anxious awaiting an answer.
The problem never returned. I just serviced my transmission on my 2004 325i sedan, because it had over 100K miles. I have the GM transmission, purchased Dexron 6 from Walmart, and flush and filled the transmission, replacing the filter and gasket, and make sure you clean the pan and magnet. Used about 14 quarts following a youtube video on E46 transmission service.
I also updated my DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) code with BMW updated software I purchased on ebay. This fixed the slight sputter I experienced going over 85 mph and above 2800 rpms, and sometimes created a O2 sensor code P0174. The car shifts smoothly and has nice acceleration. I get up to 100 mph very quickly.

Last edited by coolmellowdude; 11-09-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #54
markwainwright3

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330 M Sport
Thanks so much for the quick reply!
markwainwright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #55
Dave1027

My Ride: '06 IR 330ci zhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmellowdude View Post
I have the GM transmission, purchased Dexron 6 from Walmart, and flush and filled the transmission, replacing the filter and gasket, and make sure you clean the pan and magnet. Used about 14 quarts following a youtube video on E46 transmission service.
14 quarts? What was the method for flushing. Rinse and repeat?
Dave1027 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #56
nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwainwright3 View Post
limp mode often caused by a bad tranmission wiring harness. Check your fuses in the fuse pack under the hood!
Old 11-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #57
HLG600

My Ride: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post
14 quarts? What was the method for flushing. Rinse and repeat?
Cold drain, cold fill, hot fill and then drive a few thousand miles.

Afterwards, repeat with a filter change.
HLG600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #58
coolmellowdude

Drained fluid, removed filter, and let it sit and drain over night in garage. Next day, cleaned pan, installed new filter and new gasket with pan. Filled until fluid started to flow out, then turned on engine and let run for few minutes. Pumped more fluid in until it comes out. Then, while pressing break pedal, shift to neutral, drive, and then reverse. Let sit in each position for 10 seconds. Then turn off engine. Drain fluid, refill, start engine, add more fluid until it comes out. Done. You can repeat another flush (drain and fill) if you desire. I didn't need, because I let car sit and drain fluid overnight. This procedure can be found on You tube, good luck.

Last edited by coolmellowdude; 11-10-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #59
Quest12334

Ok a little help please, yesterday I disconnected the positive battery cable on my 02 330ci. Now, my transmission light is coming on. When I turn the car off and turn it back on all go back to normal. This happen twice today.

This also happen with my 06 and 00 both were 3 series. Once I shut the car off it resent and worked fine.

However, I'm concerned this might be a bigger issue.

Any thoughts?
Quest12334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #60
nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest12334 View Post
Ok a little help please, yesterday I disconnected the positive battery cable on my 02 330ci. Now, my transmission light is coming on. When I turn the car off and turn it back on all go back to normal. This happen twice today.

This also happen with my 06 and 00 both were 3 series. Once I shut the car off it resent and worked fine.

However, I'm concerned this might be a bigger issue.

Any thoughts?
First thought is still transmission wiring harness but when mine was bad it would blow the fuse. I found a used one (salvage) off ebay for cheap and haven't had a problem since (got lucky). You never know with used parts. I inspected the old harness once I had it out and I never did see any nicks or anything.

Tags
egs, limp, tcm, trans, transmission