E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
MindFK

My Ride: 330Ci
Exclamation Brake fluid on my clutch pedal...?!

Hello everyone

I searched the forums for that, could not really find anything. If I missed a topic, I apologize.

Now, I recently noticed that the rubber pad on my clutch would not stay on and sort of slipped off every now and then...Today I was soo pissed at the situation that I actually looked at clutch pedal more carefully and I noticed that it is covered in greasy, look-like brake fluid...?! Some of it dripped on my mats too....sh$$t....

Sometimes I had a difficulty getting into first gear, so I just pumped it few times and it was completely fine, now when its colder it becomes some major pita

There is bunch of plastics over there, I could not see where the leak is coming from...

ANY IDEAS?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
rowdy lee

My Ride: 2000 323ci
hmmm...

What does it smell like?

Just above and forward (other side of firewall), is the master cylinder and vacuum brake booster. How is the brake fluid level in the master cyl. reservoir? (brake pad wear will determine level, to an extent). If near empty... not good.

Crawl under the dash with a good light and look at it. Maybe the booster has some fluid in it and it's coming out the end where the pedal mechanism enters it... Can it be seen from there? IDK...

Also, look at clutch master cyl. Leak there, probly.

Last edited by rowdy lee; 12-14-2010 at 01:15 PM. Reason: add
rowdy lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:13 PM   #3
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
Clutch master cylinder.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
The clutch uses Brake Fluid. The clutch master cylinder is mounted inside the passenger compartment and is attached directly to the clutch pedal. If you have brake fluid on the pedal then the master cylinder is leaking. There is a hose from the Brake Master Cylinder to the Clutch Master Cyllinder (a soft line), and a pipe from the Clutch Master Cylinder to the Clutch Slave Cylinder (a hard line). Of these two, the hose is the more likely leaker, but the pipe has pressurized fluid in it.

When you depress the pedal, you push fluid from the master to the slave cylinder. A typical failure of the master is that the pedal can simply fall to the floor without activating the clutch. You recover from this by pulling the pedal up with your toe and trying again. Mine failed in such a way that if I simply rested my foot on the pedal, it would fall to the floor, but if I hit the pedal as if I actually wanted to use it, then it would operate the clutch properly. Another failure mode is that if you are in the habit of sitting at a traffic light with the clutch pedal depressed, the spring force against the fluid, and in turn the master cylinder, might cause the clutch to start to grab and the car can creep forward.

Normally, a master cylinder will leak internally between the chambers and result in poor operation of whatever system they are a part of. It is unusual for a master cylinder to leak to the outside. Slave cylinders will leak to the outside, but as a general rule, master cylinders will not. So, I suspect a leak from the supply hose or the pipe that goes to the slave cylinder.

You have to get in on your back with a flashlight to see where the fluid is coming from. There are 4 or 5 screws that hold the plastic panel in place.
jdstrickland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
MindFK

Thanks for the information jdstrickland - really appreciate it. I will look at it and give an update as soon as I can. Hopefully its just one of the lines...
Old 12-14-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
There's no lines down there. Its your clutch master cylinder. It sounds more major than it is. Its a $150 part.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:10 PM   #7
MindFK

Kudos to all you guys, the clutch master cylinder is all covered in brake fluid...

I looked it up on pelican parts:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...ch%20%20%20%20

Partsgeek
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200..._cylinder.html

FAP99
http://www.fap99.com/ShopByVehicle.e...Pedals&mode=PA

I'm thinking about getting the one from pelican, any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1305.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	386869   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1309.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	386870   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1310.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	386871  
Old 12-14-2010, 04:12 PM   #8
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Get it from getbmwparts.com. they're near you. Pelicans in socal, so you'll be waiting forever

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #9
Du411y

My Ride: 2002 Silver 330xi
Anyone have a DIY for the Clutch Master Cylinder replacement?
Du411y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
cposk

My Ride: 08' E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du411y View Post
Its 2 bolt(2 and 3), a plastic pin (5) and a hard(9) and soft line(8). Then bleed the system from the slave cylinder(16).

Photobucket
cposk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
Quote:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=e46+clutch+mast...er+replacement
Schlag96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #12
Du411y

My Ride: 2002 Silver 330xi
Thanks, I love the troll. I'm having trouble removing the plastic retainer pin ( #5 above.) Anyone have and technique to get at it better/remove it?
Du411y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #13
cposk

My Ride: 08' E90 M3
Quote:
Thanks, I love the troll. I'm having trouble removing the plastic retainer pin ( #5 above.) Anyone have and technique to get at it better/remove it?
I just added a peddle (auto to manual swap). I removed the entire assembly which made it really easy.
Photobucket

There is a bolt in the top and a couple nuts attached to the brake master cylinder studs. (2 and 3 I think) You also need to remove 6.
Photobucket
cposk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake fluid, clutch pedal, leak, problem