E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
cardsfan007

My Ride: 2002 330xi
need help

Ok, so im having a couple problems with my car. First, when im driving there is sometimes a kinda high pitch whistling type noise when i put my foot on the accelerator, and when i bring it off. it doesnt happen all the time but its concerning me. im hoping that its just from the cold since i live in stl and its been freezing here and the sound only started when it got really cold. Second problem is the black rubber liner on my driver door is starting to fall off on the bottom, is there anyway that i can put this back on without going to the stealership? third very small problem is my driver seatbelt is going back very very slow now, can this also be fixed somehow without going to the stealership? tia for the info
cardsfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #2
dpgrand

My Ride: 2005 330xi
seatbelt - you need a new belt retractor - its a common e46 problem
Old 12-14-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
colo330xi

My Ride: 01 330xi
The whistling is probably one of your intake boots. The lower is the more likely due to its weird shape. Cheap fix, less than $20, kind of a pain to remove if you haven't done it before. Check the boots for cracks before ripping anything apart.
colo330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:53 PM   #4
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan007 View Post
Ok, so im having a couple problems with my car. First, when im driving there is sometimes a kinda high pitch whistling type noise when i put my foot on the accelerator, and when i bring it off. it doesnt happen all the time but its concerning me. im hoping that its just from the cold since i live in stl and its been freezing here and the sound only started when it got really cold. Second problem is the black rubber liner on my driver door is starting to fall off on the bottom, is there anyway that i can put this back on without going to the stealership? third very small problem is my driver seatbelt is going back very very slow now, can this also be fixed somehow without going to the stealership? tia for the info
I get the high pitched whistle when its chilly out too. It usually goes away after the car is warmed up. All of my intake boots are good.

Let me know what you find out.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:45 AM   #5
cardsfan007

thanks, i will check in the morning. any ideas how to take apart the column to replace the seatbelt retractor? and also any ideas about the rubber molding? oh, and one other problem i remembered, i have a bubble on my right rear wheel. can i wait another 2k miles until i get new tires or should it be addressed right away along with rotating and balancing? thanks again for all the info
Old 12-16-2010, 12:35 AM   #6
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
I get the high pitched whistle when its chilly out too. It usually goes away after the car is warmed up. All of my intake boots are good.

Let me know what you find out.
same thing here... it JUST started happening. i have a "lean bank 1" code too but car drives normal otherwise

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #7
White_Knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan007 View Post
i have a bubble on my right rear wheel. can i wait another 2k miles until i get new tires or should it be addressed right away along with rotating and balancing? thanks again for all the info
The bubble indicates the tire's belt has breached or torn forming the lump. This is dangerous and should be addressed quickly. The XI requires all four tires to be within specified diameter. Some tire stores will not mount a single replacement tire unless the other three are fairly new and within spec. This is due to 4-wheel drive where different sizes may damage drive components.

You can always try and match up a used tire of proper diameter.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:05 AM   #8
cardsfan007

i believe i have a full size spare, should i just swap it for the spare?
Old 12-17-2010, 08:35 PM   #9
White_Knuckles

How new is the spare? If it's new and your remaining three are worn you may introduce problems. My son works at a tire shop and the delta is 3/32" tread depth max. Meaning, if ANY tire(s) differ by 3/32" tread depth they will not mount them. He adds the tires must be the identical make and model. Tire makers differ with total tread depth and overall circumference. Rolling circumference is the issue, matching dissimilar tires side by side by eye is tricky.

Of course the spare may work for a short time but driving at high speed with a bubble is just plain dangerous.