E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2011, 08:35 PM   #41
Jsty

My Ride: 325xi
Very helpful thread, thanks a lot.
Jsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:05 PM   #42
Roberto328

My Ride: 2000 bmw 328i
I have the older version of EE, and right now I can say that after
three years of having them, I absolutely HATE them. Ive had problems
with them since about year 2 of having them on, so for at least a year now
Ive had problems with them.
No lie, first it was the entire driver side brake & running lights that did not turn on at all. Didnt work for a couple days, then all of a sudden started working again
Second, the driver side indicator doesn't work at all, hasn't worked for months now
Third, After months of having coped with the driver side not working properly, I just got to work about an hour ago and my coworker told me my entire PASSENGER side is not working now, brake, running lights, or blinker.
Roberto328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:14 PM   #43
Roberto328

My Ride: 2000 bmw 328i
Sorry OP, I don't mean to rain on your parade. I wouldnt worry about your set since you have the new generation, I am speaking about the older version EE.

Can someone point me in the direction of a more reliable set? I can't deal with my indicators not working properly anymore, Ive already been pulled over twice for it, both times by state cops. I still like the look of them, but they still do not look exactly like the oem led tails you would see on a stock 330ci or 04-05 m3.
I also read on page 2 of this thread someone mentioned having a reflash done to accomodate oem bmw leds? Can someone post more info about this or lead me in the right direction? This is a more appealing and ideal solution to have oem leds. Thanks guys!
Roberto328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:22 AM   #44
Little Dragon

My Ride: E46s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto328 View Post
Sorry OP, I don't mean to rain on your parade. I wouldnt worry about your set since you have the new generation, I am speaking about the older version EE.

Can someone point me in the direction of a more reliable set? I can't deal with my indicators not working properly anymore, Ive already been pulled over twice for it, both times by state cops. I still like the look of them, but they still do not look exactly like the oem led tails you would see on a stock 330ci or 04-05 m3.
I also read on page 2 of this thread someone mentioned having a reflash done to accomodate oem bmw leds? Can someone post more info about this or lead me in the right direction? This is a more appealing and ideal solution to have oem leds. Thanks guys!
If you have a sedan they never have, and probably never will, make OEM LED tails for sedan. So no luck there

Last edited by Little Dragon; 06-03-2011 at 12:25 AM.
Little Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #45
choleaoum
Ceiling missing!

My Ride: BMW 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to choleaoum
Quote:

Sell me your old ones if you find new ones bro!
choleaoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:55 AM   #46
certify

My Ride: 328i 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSTuningJoe View Post
We have both Smoked and White E46 LED tails below...

Click HERE for more information.

Please let us know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.

Best,
Joe
Honestly the sedan version LED light looks very bad.. IMHO fugly... it looks even worst then you hit the brakes and especially at night when the LED are turn on.. Those LED alignments just makes them looks cheap and "Made in China" all over. The turn signals LED alignment pretty awful as well.

If they want to make for sedan at least put in some R&D into the design alignments for the LED instead of just copy&paste from the coupe version.
certify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #47
TR4G-

My Ride: '01 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by certify View Post
Honestly the sedan version LED light looks very bad.. IMHO fugly... it looks even worst then you hit the brakes and especially at night when the LED are turn on.. Those LED alignments just makes them looks cheap and "Made in China" all over. The turn signals LED alignment pretty awful as well.

If they want to make for sedan at least put in some R&D into the design alignments for the LED instead of just copy&paste from the coupe version.
...wait I don't understand. They look pretty much identical don't they? Like the LEDs litup in a circle type manner with straight top and bottom? Why does it look ok on a coupe an apparently ugly beyond all reason on a sedan? Am I missing something?
Old 06-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #48
Roxlo

My Ride: e46 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4G- View Post
...wait I don't understand. They look pretty much identical don't they? Like the LEDs litup in a circle type manner with straight top and bottom? Why does it look ok on a coupe an apparently ugly beyond all reason on a sedan? Am I missing something?
I don't understand what he's talking about either, looks completely flush/perfect to me.
Roxlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #49
Apple4life

My Ride: 03 325i SULEV
If you guys compare the led tail lights for coupe and sedan, you'll see that the LEDs are not really aligned. To me it's not a big deal, I still like it.
Apple4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:24 AM   #50
Killemall

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
I have the older version of EE, and right now I can say that after
three years of having them, I absolutely HATE them. Ive had problems
with them since about year 2 of having them on, so for at least a year now
Ive had problems with them.
No lie, first it was the entire driver side brake & running lights that did not turn on at all. Didnt work for a couple days, then all of a sudden started working again
Second, the driver side indicator doesn't work at all, hasn't worked for months now
Third, After months of having coped with the driver side not working properly, I just got to work about an hour ago and my coworker told me my entire PASSENGER side is not working now, brake, running lights, or blinker.
Same type of issues here with EE 2 yrs old tail lights.

About 18 months after installation one raw of LEDs went out on the drive side turn indicator.
2 months later the whole indicator started working intermittently. I took the whole light apart but I couldn't deebug the issue and kept driving on it. 1 month later the same problem appeared on the right side indicator as well.

The issue persisted for a few weeks and then both indicators went completely out a couple of days apart.

I'm still wondering if the DEPO have longer longevity.
Killemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:54 AM   #51
Apple4life

Here is a comparison of the Sedan version and Coupe.

Sedan:

Coupe:

Screenshot this picture from eBay. I hope they don't mind.

Notice how the Sedan version is missing an LED in the top middle. Also the middle LEDs of the red part are not straight like the coupe one.

Last edited by Apple4life; 06-15-2011 at 01:56 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:55 AM   #52
Apple4life

The Eagle Eyes that I got from Khoalty still works fine after two years. I just checked today. No complaint there.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:32 AM   #53
TR4G-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple4life View Post
Here is a comparison of the Sedan version and Coupe.

Sedan:

Coupe:

Screenshot this picture from eBay. I hope they don't mind.

Notice how the Sedan version is missing an LED in the top middle. Also the middle LEDs of the red part are not straight like the coupe one.
Ah kinda see. What do you guys feel are better looking? Smoked led tails or smoked red/clear/red halogen tails
Old 06-15-2011, 10:08 AM   #54
spig

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP 6spd
I have had EE sedan tails for over a year and no problems.

The missing LED in turn signals are annoying, but I don't see how they are a deal breaker. The Sedan ones just look more curved for the brake lights. If there were reasonably priced OEM LED tails for the Sedan, I probably would have gotten them, but this is a decent alternative.
There was a little bit more of a gap between the trunk lights and the outer lights. Not a big deal, but I noticed it when I put them on.
spig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #55
Andre328CI

My Ride: 2000 328 CI
Is there any difference in the intensity of light coming from EE vs DEPO LED tail lights? I have the EE's on my car but it is just a bit too bright for me. It looks like I'm driving with my brake lights on when the lights are turned on.
Andre328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #56
TR4G-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre328CI View Post
Is there any difference in the intensity of light coming from EE vs DEPO LED tail lights? I have the EE's on my car but it is just a bit too bright for me. It looks like I'm driving with my brake lights on when the lights are turned on.
So what exactly is the difference between depo and EE? also why are they called eagle eyes? Last time I checked, eagles eyes were made of not LEDs
Old 06-16-2011, 11:55 PM   #57
Killemall

My Ride: 325Ci
Since I was tired of driving with my EE tail lights indicators out, yesterday I bought a new set of DEPO lights from Khoalty. UPS delivered them today. 1 day free shipping. Nice.

I installed the new lights this evening and took a few pics with my phone. I was in a hurry so the pics are seriously crap but whatever, better than nothing.

On the left there is the smoked DEPO light and on the right the smoked EE lght. The DEPO has a darker tone.

Overall my quick impression is that the DEPO lights are better quality of my 2 yrs old EE (1st Edition I think). The set is truly plug and go. 1 connector versus 4 for the EE lights, which also require attach 3 resistor/inductance units to the inner side panel of the car. The DEPO lights come just with one inductance unit that is secured by one of the 3 bolts of the tail light.

As far as brightness, the DEPO look just a tiny bit brighter. Maybe it's just because they are new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110616_195733.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	406644   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110616_195830.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	406645   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110616_200815.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	406646   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110616_200821.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	406647  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110616_195716.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	406648  

Last edited by Killemall; 06-16-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Killemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:59 PM   #58
Apple4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killemall View Post
Since I was tired of driving with my EE tail lights indicators out, yesterday I bought a new set of DEPO lights from Khoalty. UPS delivered them today. 1 day free shipping. Nice.

I installed the new lights this evening and took a few pics with my phone. I was in a hurry so the pics are seriously crap but whatever, better than nothing.

On the left there is the smoked DEPO light and on the right the smoked EE lght. The DEPO has a darker tone.

Overall my quick impression is that the DEPO lights are better quality of my 2 yrs old EE (1st Edition I think). The set is truly plug and go. 1 connector versus 4 for the EE lights, which also require attach 3 resistor/inductance units to the inner side panel of the car. The DEPO lights come just with one inductance unit that is secured by one of the 3 bolts of the tail light.

As far as brightness, the DEPO look just a tiny bit brighter. Maybe it's just because they are new.
Looks good!
Old 06-17-2011, 11:30 AM   #59
TR4G-

ha ok cool. Ill probably go with the depo. I feel they will look better on my black sedan. thanks for the help! ordering today from khoalty most likely

EDIT

just looked at khoalty's site and apparently the depos are only for 00-03 coupes?

Last edited by TR4G-; 06-17-2011 at 11:32 AM.
TR4G- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #60
Jrob1

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
What did you end up going with? I've been debating over getting smoked LED tails for a while but wondering how noticeable that missing LED in the turn signal is on the smoked version when the lights are off?

2003 Jet Black 330i
- Headers; Rogue Ikon Exhaust; 3.46 Diff; UUC SwayBarbarians; StrutBarbarian; Evo III SSK w/DSSR and Weighted Knob; UUC Lightweight Flywheel and Performance Organic Clutch; AFE Intake; MTechII Bumper; Dinan Stage II Software; 8000k HID Fogs, Predator Orion; M3 Lip Spoiler; ACS Roof Spoiler; Beyern Mesh 19" Wheels w/Hankook V12 Tires; LED smoked lights; Tri Stitch M3 Wheel; LED Interior Lighting; DICE
Jrob1 is offline   Reply With Quote