E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 07:37 PM   #61
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob1 View Post
What did you end up going with? I've been debating over getting smoked LED tails for a while but wondering how noticeable that missing LED in the turn signal is on the smoked version when the lights are off?
I ordered from khoalty hoping that I'd get the depo version, but I got the eagle eye lights instead. I was a bit disappoint before installing, but then I thought "what the heck, I'll just install them". They came with resistors and everything fit easily and plugged right in. So far, I love them and I think they are great. They are a big upgrade from my stock facelifted sedan lights. The missing LED does not bother me at all!! I don't even think about it anymore and I even forgot about it until you mentioned it. Only thing i wish is that the trunk lights would be LED as well, but that's ok. Ever since I got these, I'm seeing a whole lot more e46s in my area with these LED tails... lol. I'll try to upload a pic. I got the smoked version and it's not an aggressive tint, which is what I preferred anyway. It looks great on my black sedan. A few years back, i would have went for a total black out look, but I think because I am older now I go for more subtle mods. Also, even with the resistors, the "bulb out" warning comes when starting the car, but once the current builds up through the resistors or w/e, the light goes away. A quick way to make the warning go away is to turn on the parking lights after starting the car, and then turning them off once the warning disappears after 3 secs. My car looks so much different and so much newer now. I love it. Another thing i like about the lights is how the truck lights have a smoked reverse light, but it still lights up like normal and not dark. The reverse light bar also is "thinner" and a rectangle, and i like that look. Its like the E9x reverse light (LCI). This would be a great cosmetic upgrade for any preface sedans and coupes. So that's my review thus far, hahaha.

I hope the picture works.

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #62
StingLikeABimmer

My Ride: '02 325i Sd Facelift
I ended up going with the clear tails (on a white 325i). Honestly, I think that if you are really concerned about the "missing" led you may want to stick with the RCR tails to update your stock lights. But the "missing" led doesn't bother me, I am really happy with my EE. I have a buddy here on this site that I used to work with and he went with the smoke (Black M3), and the smoke is pretty light so it won't really hide the missing LED either.

When the lights are off, you have to be inched to a a foot or two away from tail lights to make out the "missing" LED even on the clear version (Maybe I can post a close up of it from my car to show you later this afternoon).

I say, if you want the LED EE tails, pick smoke/clear based on what you really want in terms of the overall look of the car. I wan't a Black and White look for my car and thought that if I bought the grey/smoke look it would throw off the overall look I was shooting for.

2002 325i Facelift Sedan in Alpine White in the Denver Metro Area
MODS --> USASpec iPod Interface /// Lighted Shift Knob with M Emblem /// Clear DEPO Corner Turn Signals with LED Bulbs /// Clear Side Markers with LED Bulbs /// Eagle Eye LED Tail Light Assembly /// Matte Black Grill
StingLikeABimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #63
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
I have EE's. Got them from a fellow fanatic about 1-1/2 yrs ago. No LED's have burnt out, Resistor packs are fine.

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #64
stevenxn

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
I am about to make the leap and buy some LED smoked tails for my 328i.

I figured I'd go with Khoalty because I've heard good things: http://www.khoalty.com/bmw-e46/lights.html?limit=all

I really can't decide between the Depo and EE. What exactly are the differences? besides EE missing a LED bulb. Any advice would be great.... I just don't want to run into any problems with LEDs going out.

328i
stevenxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:03 PM   #65
dtmpowerjc

My Ride: 2002 m3 silvergray
Eagle eyes on my 01. And they look great

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1315602086614.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	416214   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1315602158520.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	416215  
dtmpowerjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #66
stevenxn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmpowerjc View Post
Eagle eyes on my 01. And they look great

those look sick on your car! have you had any problems?

328i
Old 09-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #67
dtmpowerjc

My Ride: 2002 m3 silvergray
None whatsoever

dtmpowerjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #68
Apple4life

My Ride: 03 325i SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenxn View Post
I am about to make the leap and buy some LED smoked tails for my 328i.

I figured I'd go with Khoalty because I've heard good things: http://www.khoalty.com/bmw-e46/lights.html?limit=all

I really can't decide between the Depo and EE. What exactly are the differences? besides EE missing a LED bulb. Any advice would be great.... I just don't want to run into any problems with LEDs going out.
Since you have a sedan, you can only get EE.

My EE works fine, had it for almost 2 years
Apple4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #69
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple4life View Post
since you have a sedan, you can only get ee.

My ee works fine, had it for almost 2 years
^+1

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #70
stevenxn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple4life View Post
Since you have a sedan, you can only get EE.

My EE works fine, had it for almost 2 years
Yeah you're right the Depo is only for coupes. I hope EE turns out well, lights out really bother me haha.

edit: anyone else have new smoked EE tail pics on silver?

328i

Last edited by stevenxn; 09-09-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:26 PM   #71
izzypop

My Ride: 2001 330i
here you go
izzypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:36 PM   #72
stevenxn

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzypop View Post
here you go
that just sold me haha.

so are the 4 resistors hard to hook up?

328i
Old 09-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #73
izzypop

My Ride: 2001 330i
There were no resistors I had to hook up it was plug and play for me. It's all built in. Just took the stock lights out and put these in. no bulb out warnings.
izzypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:12 AM   #74
Apple4life

My Ride: 03 325i SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenxn View Post
that just sold me haha.

so are the 4 resistors hard to hook up?
It's all connected already. All you need to do to find a place to mount it with the pre-installed tape.
Apple4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #75
ArmyBimmer

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Got my EEs for my Coupe, going to install today after work. Was a little disappointed that the LEDs are ONLY for the body mounted lights, the trunk mounted ones are just covers. Anyone looking at these keep that in mind! Now I have to go look for LED bulbs for my reverse lights to make it look consistent. Wish that had been advertised upfront. If Khoalty takes suggestions, this would be one from me.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #76
Dean | KHOALTY, Inc
Sponsor

My Ride: BMWs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmer View Post
Got my EEs for my Coupe, going to install today after work. Was a little disappointed that the LEDs are ONLY for the body mounted lights, the trunk mounted ones are just covers. Anyone looking at these keep that in mind! Now I have to go look for LED bulbs for my reverse lights to make it look consistent. Wish that had been advertised upfront. If Khoalty takes suggestions, this would be one from me.
We're updating some things and will be sure to put a note of this. It's hard to write product descriptions sometimes because to us we've been around these parts for years, sometimes we leave out small details! Sorry for the confusion on that
Dean | KHOALTY, Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #77
ArmyBimmer

Where can I get LED reverse light BULBS? Im loath to install them without a uniform look... That and the reason I bought them was to replace a burnt out reverse light.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #78
Dean | KHOALTY, Inc
Sponsor

My Ride: BMWs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmer View Post
Where can I get LED reverse light BULBS? Im loath to install them without a uniform look... That and the reason I bought them was to replace a burnt out reverse light.
The CREE LED reverse lights would be your best bet!

http://www.khoalty.com/bmw-e46/led-b...rse-light.html
Dean | KHOALTY, Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #79
ArmyBimmer

Already ordered them: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-1156-Ba15...#ht_2571wt_369
Free shipping, same part, oh and another CC note, these dont require the resistors to work properly, not for the reverse lights. Even if you were to run your car without reverse lights at all it doesnt show up as a bulb out on the dash have been doing that for a while now, which is why I got the replacements!
Old 04-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #80
Goot

My Ride: 325ci
Just installed my Eagle Eye tail lights on my coupe over the weekend. Plug and play and all the led's work. I'm happy with my purchase. lol
Goot is offline   Reply With Quote