E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-19-2015, 03:25 AM   #1
mcr_driver
OEM ///Member

My Ride: my favorite two feet
Post ten days, my on going gun ownership story...

So I just purchased a new Glock 17 and it really was the ideal choice for me. As I wait the ten day period I am researching and wanted some input on a laser light combo.

I think there are three ideal choices that I've narrowed it down to and they are all within the 200.00-300.00 price point, just wanted to hear some insight one what works best for some and perhaps where to get a decent deal.

Option one is the factory combo but I've heard that the light output is rather poor, followed by the Streamlight TLR2 and lastly the Surefire.

Although in the link there are several more options one little nagging question popped up as to why green dotted sights are more expensive then the traditional red dot. I imagine this is because at night and or low light situations the green dot is easier to see and acclimate to was just wondering for a more intuitive answer.

http://www.glockstore.com/sights-lig.../weapon-lights

Can't wait the 10 days pics to come

Last edited by mcr_driver; 07-19-2015 at 03:49 AM.
mcr_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:55 AM   #2
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr_driver View Post
So I just purchased a new Glock 17 and it really was the ideal choice for me. As I wait the ten day period I am researching and wanted some input on a laser light combo.

I think there are three ideal choices that I've narrowed it down to and they are all within the 200.00-300.00 price point, just wanted to hear some insight one what works best for some and perhaps where to get a decent deal.

Option one is the factory combo but I've heard that the light output is rather poor, followed by the Streamlight TLR2 and lastly the Surefire.

Although in the link there are several more options one little nagging question popped up as to why green dotted sights are more expensive then the traditional red dot. I imagine this is because at night and or low light situations the green dot is easier to see and acclimate to was just wondering for a more intuitive answer.

http://www.glockstore.com/sights-lig.../weapon-lights

Can't wait the 10 days pics to come
Honestly, I did the same thing when I bought my first pistol. I researched a bit and ended up getting a Viridian green laser/light combo.

You know what? I never use the laser. Actually, that's not true. Sometimes, I used to take the combo off the gun and use the laser to play with the cat. But that's it.

IMO, lasers are fairly useless, at least the visual, non-IR ones. I sure a few others will drop in to offer their opinions on it. But honestly, I wouldn't bother.

Get yourself a good surefire or streamlight light and be done with it...skip the laser.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:03 PM   #3
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
honestly, i did the same thing when i bought my first pistol. I researched a bit and ended up getting a viridian green laser/light combo.

You know what? I never use the laser. Actually, that's not true. Sometimes, i used to take the combo off the gun and use the laser to play with the cat. But that's it.

Imo, lasers are fairly useless, at least the visual, non-ir ones. I sure a few others will drop in to offer their opinions on it. But honestly, i wouldn't bother.

Get yourself a good surefire or streamlight light and be done with it...skip the laser.
+1
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:47 PM   #4
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Don't buy the Glock factory light or laser. Even the Glock reps and trainers talk crap about the Glock lights and laser/lights. They all know it's junk.

I would buy a Streamlight or SureFire. Viridian also makes good lasers, but their lights are lacking.
Dinan Lowering Springs and Bumpstops
Dinan 20" Black Performance Wheels

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 04:16 PM   #5
mcr_driver
OEM ///Member

Yea leaning towards to streamlight tlr-2 at the moment, the viridian looked cool but a lot more pricey compared to the others.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:53 PM   #6
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
You can see the TLR2 in a comparison here. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...postcount=1087

Keep in mind that the actual brightness isn't represented here, but each photo was taken with the same camera settings. I like the TLR2 and it's super bright. You really have to tighten up the mount or the laser zero will move around on you from usage. And it doesn't always go back to true zero when you remove it and replace it on the pistol. Figure you have to readjust every time you remove and replace it.

Though it's an easy adjustment and doesn't require any shooting to do so. Just need to pick a distance and co-witness with the factory sights. So just stand or sit about 15ft away from a wall (if this is a home defense weapon) and make the laser dot be just barely visible above the front sight when you're front and rear sights are lined up. Not perfect for a marksmanship competition, but at half or even twice the distance it'll put the bullet within an inch or two of the laser dot.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:47 PM   #7
mcr_driver
OEM ///Member

Great advice thanks

Question on some good range ammo, getting a box of hornady critical defense for the home and i keep reading 135gr is better then 115gr, but I wanted to know what would be more affordable to run when i go to an indoor range.

Last edited by mcr_driver; 07-19-2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:01 PM   #8
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E46 ZHP TS2+ Coupe
I use Speer Gold Dot for defense rounds and PMC or Winchester white box for range ammo. My M&P doesn't complain about any of it.

When it's time to replace my defense rounds, I'll throw the old ones down range.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:11 PM   #9
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: 2013 Infiniti G37S
I find my Viridian CL5 to be amazing, even in the daytime. I'll admit that the light is not surface of the sun, but at night it is still 2-3x brighter than my cell phone.
ryanwhite74115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:04 PM   #10
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
I use Speer Gold Dot for defense rounds and PMC or Winchester white box for range ammo. My M&P doesn't complain about any of it.

When it's time to replace my defense rounds, I'll throw the old ones down range.
I use the same defense rounds. For the range, I find the cheapest brass cased newly manufactured 115g that is available online and order it.

Whatever defensive rounds you choose, make sure that you put a couple hundred through your pistol at the range before you decide that you can trust your life to them. You want to make sure that your particular gun likes them.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:44 PM   #11
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
While you're waiting - research the Surefire XC1. Super compact, bright as f*ck, surefire quality.

I'll be buying one for my G19, and new holsters to go with it once I get my gun back from Agency ARms.
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:16 AM   #12
mcr_driver
OEM ///Member

Thanks for the recommendation, definitely looking to try speerdot and horandy to see which feels better, although for lights i think i am set on the streamlight, saw it in store today and was pleased with how it felt.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:52 PM   #13
Reedo302

Hornady Critical Defense is designed for short barrel carry pistols. Shooting them in a full size pistol like the Glock 17 will increase the velocity, which will cause reduced penetration. Critical Defense already has limited/shallow penetration that is really not ideal, so reducing that penetration depth moreso is problematic. It also has a conventional bullet jacketing that is not locked or bonded to the core, which means that you may have separation, fragmentation and inconsistent and inadequate performance.

Hornady Critical Duty is designed for full size pistols, has a locked-base jacket design for constent expansion and mass retention, and penetrates deep enough to meet FBI protocols. The 135gr and 135gr +P options are both good load options.

I made a list previously about good pistol loads in a different thread. There are a lot of good loads, but there are some crap loads as well. A couple cases for example:
Federal HST and Bonded JHP are phenomenal. Federal Hydra-Shok sucks.
Speer Gold Dot is excellent and has been a solid performer for a long time. Speer Gold Dot G2 is their variant of the Hornady FTX bullet, and the G2 has inconsistent and poor performance and Speer is redesigning it.
Etc...

Glock Armorer

Old 07-24-2015, 01:25 AM   #14
mcr_driver
OEM ///Member

Another question but what is the real benefit if any comparing the infrared light to the standard LED lighting? Leaning towards the standard LED for the 720 lumens but was curious if there was a reason to consider the IRW.

http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/pro...t.html?pid=318

http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/pro...l?pid=295#tabs
Old 07-24-2015, 11:46 AM   #15
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Well of the two you posted, neither has an IFR illuminator on it. The second has an IFR laser, but that's only useful if you're running night vision. IFR stuff is for use with night vision...your eyes can't see it otherwise

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:37 PM   #16
Reedo302

^what he said.
NV works by amplifying ambient light. It doesn't turn absolute darkness into daylight. NV doesn't work in no-light situations like deep caves or basements or lower levels of buildings completely cut off from visible light and with no artifical ambient light.

IR emitters come in two forms: illuminators and lasers/target designators. Lasers or target designators are just like a visible laser for marking a target. Illuminators are like flood lamps in the infrared light spectrum. The Illuminators are designed to work with NV for close-range areas that have little or no amplifiable light.

Glock Armorer

Old 07-24-2015, 01:57 PM   #17
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E46 ZHP TS2+ Coupe
1) Get an IR laser.
2) Get a good pair of NVG.
3) ????
4) Protect your house like a goddamn boss.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:24 PM   #18
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: E60M
Just get yourself a solid thermal optic, make your house zero light.

Own the darkness.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:00 PM   #19
mcr_driver
OEM ///Member

thanks for the answer and for the

I wasn't sure what they really meant by IR but thanks for clearing that up

FYI ordered the TLR2HL
Old 07-24-2015, 09:14 PM   #20
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr_driver View Post
thanks for the answer and for the

I wasn't sure what they really meant by IR but thanks for clearing that up

FYI ordered the TLR2HL
You won't regret it.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat

Last edited by MP0WER; 07-24-2015 at 09:15 PM.
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote