E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2014, 08:33 PM   #1
chris10492

My Ride: 14 Camaro 06 R1
Talking Just purchased my first firearm

Hello everyone, from my last post, I made myself sound like a moron, I apologize

But here is the good news I just bought a Smith and Wesson M&P Shield .40 I love how small it is. It's easy to carry and I haven't had anyone notice(even close friends) while wearing T shirts.

Anyone else ride motorcycles while they carry? Tips welcomed
chris10492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:42 PM   #2
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Honestly, I don't even remember your last post. I went searching for it, but on a brief scan, I didn't see anything too out of the ordinary.

So congrats on the purchase. Reading your January thread briefly, it seemed as though you were going to go with either a .22 or a 9mm for your first gun. Why the switch to .40?

You will appreciate the shield more and more as you carry it. Everything I've heard indicates they are fantastic and for that reason I might pick one up down the line (currently carry glocks and sigs).

As for the motorcycle stuff, I can't help you at all. I would kill myself on one of those, no question.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:51 PM   #3
CRZY BMW

My Ride: has wings & a prop
It's my primary ccw carry. Love the size. Easily concealable even in California's hot weather in a PJ holster under a plain T-shirt.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=309167&stc=1&d=1238667257

Last edited by CRZY BMW; 07-03-2014 at 11:52 PM.
CRZY BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:34 AM   #4
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRZY BMW View Post
It's my primary ccw carry. Love the size. Easily concealable even in California's hot weather in a PJ holster under a plain T-shirt.
Nice choice, I carry a Glock 27 in 40 cal....have you shot it yet and felt how it runs? For a first gun I would have suggested a 9mm in the same size but if you can handle it, that is all that matters.

Now....if you do not shoot it, just bought it as an accessory for your bike.....and feels nice to wear....you might have an issue if God forbid, you ever have to use it. But, I am giving you the benefit of the doubt.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
chris10492

Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Honestly, I don't even remember your last post. I went searching for it, but on a brief scan, I didn't see anything too out of the ordinary.

So congrats on the purchase. Reading your January thread briefly, it seemed as though you were going to go with either a .22 or a 9mm for your first gun. Why the switch to .40?

You will appreciate the shield more and more as you carry it. Everything I've heard indicates they are fantastic and for that reason I might pick one up down the line (currently carry glocks and sigs).

As for the motorcycle stuff, I can't help you at all. I would kill myself on one of those, no question.
I was going for one of those two before, but the more I shot my friends .40 the more I liked It over the 9.

Quote:
Is that a style of holster or a brand? Sorry still new at this

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcus View Post
Nice choice, I carry a Glock 27 in 40 cal....have you shot it yet and felt how it runs? For a first gun I would have suggested a 9mm in the same size but if you can handle it, that is all that matters.

Now....if you do not shoot it, just bought it as an accessory for your bike.....and feels nice to wear....you might have an issue if God forbid, you ever have to use it. But, I am giving you the benefit of the doubt.
I just bought it two days ago and have not been able to shoot it(i just bought a house yesterday so I'm looking at ranges in that town) but I have been to the range multiple times and im planning on going regularly. Also I just happen to have a bike, and since I will be carrying daily, I would be carrying in the bike as well.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:28 AM   #6
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Congrats on the purchase. What do you ride? How do you want to carry?

If I'm carrying while riding (I've got a cruiser and a sportbike), I usually carry the 1911 in my shoulder rig, under my jacket. It's a lot more convenient that way than trying to comfortably carry on the waist on either bike.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-04-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
train, train, and then train some more.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post
This.

Congratulations! I have a 9mm shield and find it very comfortable to carry all the time. I use a Crossbread IWB holster, the Super Tuck.

Also, on a bike, like Nova, get something with a thumb break so that it's secure. Gun safety is no joke and whether or not you're bouncing around on the bike or if you're kartwheeling through the air; you should have your weapon secured so it doesn't go flying off to somewhere it shouldn't. With your pistol secured in your holster and your holster secured to your body, (not a clip) you won't have to worry about it. This is also why i think getting in a habit of leaving your pistol in your car is a bad idea.

When you go to the range, be sure to practice doing something other than throwing lead down range. I'm sure you've seen the negligent discharge thread. Took a lot of balls to post the details of his mishap, but it should serve as a reminder that safe gun handling is paramount. So practice good safe handling all the time and make it a habit.

Drastic times call for drastic measures.
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:26 PM   #9
chris10492

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Congrats on the purchase. What do you ride? How do you want to carry?

If I'm carrying while riding (I've got a cruiser and a sportbike), I usually carry the 1911 in my shoulder rig, under my jacket. It's a lot more convenient that way than trying to comfortably carry on the waist on either bike.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I ride an 06 R1, and today was the first time I rode the bike while carrying and I was just paranoid. I will do some research on those shoulder rigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post
On my to-do list Glockman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
This.

Congratulations! I have a 9mm shield and find it very comfortable to carry all the time. I use a Crossbread IWB holster, the Super Tuck.

Also, on a bike, like Nova, get something with a thumb break so that it's secure. Gun safety is no joke and whether or not you're bouncing around on the bike or if you're kartwheeling through the air; you should have your weapon secured so it doesn't go flying off to somewhere it shouldn't. With your pistol secured in your holster and your holster secured to your body, (not a clip) you won't have to worry about it. This is also why i think getting in a habit of leaving your pistol in your car is a bad idea.

When you go to the range, be sure to practice doing something other than throwing lead down range. I'm sure you've seen the negligent discharge thread. Took a lot of balls to post the details of his mishap, but it should serve as a reminder that safe gun handling is paramount. So practice good safe handling all the time and make it a habit.
I do agree with you, I need a holster with a thumb break for when I'm riding(or the shoulder rig) the first day I took it to work I left it in the car locked up and I was paranoid. After that day I was like screw it and brought it inside and into my locker(right thing to do?)
Old 07-08-2014, 05:16 PM   #10
MP0WER

i think it is. (as long as it doesn't violate any employer rules) Should your car get broken into, a pistol is a high value, easy to sell item and will be stolen if able. Not only are you out $400, but you also become part of the gun violence problem. On the flip side, you run the risk of someone knowing you keep it in your car and that leaking to the wrong person who breaks into your car because of the pistol.

Last edited by MP0WER; 07-08-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #11
chris10492

Quote:
i think it is. (as long as it doesn't violate any employer rules) Should your car get broken into, a pistol is a high value, easy to sell item and will be stolen if able. Not only are you out $400, but you also become part of the gun violence problem. On the flip side, you run the risk of someone knowing you keep it in your car and that leaking to the wrong person who breaks into your car because of the pistol.
Unfortunately it is company policy to not bring it inside but I don't trust it in my car. No one at work knows so I'm not sure if it makes it any better. Any suggestions?
Old 07-09-2014, 08:10 AM   #12
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris10492 View Post
I ride an 06 R1, and today was the first time I rode the bike while carrying and I was just paranoid. I will do some research on those shoulder rigs
I've tried a couple different ones, IMO Galco is by far the best for a shoulder.

I just re-read your OP, and saw you're carrying a Shield. I'm not sure they make a shoulder holster for anything that small.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:36 PM   #13
MP0WER

Quote:
Unfortunately it is company policy to not bring it inside but I don't trust it in my car. No one at work knows so I'm not sure if it makes it any better. Any suggestions?
If you have to leave it in your car, put it a lockable glove box or center console.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:01 AM   #14
CRZY BMW

My Ride: has wings & a prop
Quote:
Console Vault

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=309167&stc=1&d=1238667257

CRZY BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:18 PM   #15
chris10492

Quote:
If you have to leave it in your car, put it a lockable glove box or center console.
I did leave it locked in the glove box the first day, but ill give it another try.

Quote:
Console Vault

That looks pretty damn sweet CRZY BMW!
Old 07-10-2014, 03:19 PM   #16
chris10492

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
I've tried a couple different ones, IMO Galco is by far the best for a shoulder.

I just re-read your OP, and saw you're carrying a Shield. I'm not sure they make a shoulder holster for anything that small.
I found a shoulder set up at the local gun shop and the smallest they had was for a 4" barrel (too big for mine) so you are probably right
Old 07-10-2014, 06:16 PM   #17
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Have you taken it out to the range and put a lot of rounds through it yet? Your earlier post said that you had yet to shoot it. I'm concerned that you are trusting your life to a firearm that may not be reliable, or may not be compatible with your chosen defensive round.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:27 PM   #18
chris10492

I have not been to the range yet. I just bought a house, so I'm trying to fix up what I need to move in, then I can go to the range. I wish there were more hours in a day.

I am going to the range today to apply for a membership though, I should be able to stop by here and there until I'm settled into the new home
Old 07-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #19
MP0WER

What Serbonze is saying is that it's not wise to depend on or trust your life to an untested weapon. Granted the odds of that particular pistol not going bang every time you pull the trigger are slim, but it's not outside of the realm of possibility.

In fact, i bought a $950 Sig and the first 300 rounds would have at least 1 if not 2 failure to feeds in EVERY magazine i put through the pistol. Had to send it back to Sig to get it worked on. It's much better (only about 1 FTF in every 100 rds) now, and i love shooting it, but it will be the last weapon in my safe that i reach for when things go bump in the night. And i'll never carry it.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #20
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
I have a Kahr CM9 as my primary carry. Several years ago I had a Kahr PM9 that was my primary carry, but I sold it. Both had significant problems for the first ~200rds due to the gun needing to be broken in per factory design. If I had carried either right away, I was only guaranteed 1 or 2 rounds to feed reliably. Once break-in was done, they have been exceptionally reliable. The above information is good advice: always test and retest your gear, then train with it before you carry it. Make sure you are intimately familiar with your gun and how it handles, so you know what you can expect and you can use it without conscious thought.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote