E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 05:41 AM   #141
ManofAction

My Ride: 2001 325i
For dwass325, the under armpit holster is called a shoulder holster. Concealing it will require you to wear your suit jacket. A small frame semi auto, with single stack magazine, might work for you using an Inside the waistband holster fitted at the small of your back. Most of these can be adjusted to cant toward your drawing hand so that small of back placement still affords a reasonably facile draw. Also just because you don't need a belt doesn't mean you can't use one, if loops are present. Briefcase holsters and "man purse" holsters, fanny packs, etc. are an option, but there is added concern for retention of the firearm. Those separated accessories are more vulnearble to snatch and grab. If you use a back pack, there's a great option available that has a built in protective panel. the pack rips open and the panel holding the pistol comes over your head. the pistol can be drawn and the hanging panel is a ballistic barrier that gives you some cover. Finally, there are several very small pistols on the market that might even fit in a side pocket of your pants. they don't use much more room than a wallet. Check out Kel Tec, and the new small frame Rugers, Beretta mini, Kahr and others.
ManofAction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #142
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
In light of IL's new carry law, I am looking into holster options. Here's the issue...I have a number of suits that are tailored such that I can wear the pants without a belt, so IWB is out. The legs are not baggy so ankle is out. Is my last option either in my briefcase or under my armpit like in stereotypical cop shows/movies? (Not sure what those are called.)

Any options I'm missing?
http://www.511tactical.com/All-Produ...ter-Shirt.html
Old 07-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #143
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
We have a couple guys in the department that are using those for UC work.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #144
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Personally, I'd look at getting the waist let out slightly to allow for IWB carry, but obviously that cost will add up when you have a lot of pants to alter.

Second choice would be a shoulder holster or even something like a Smart Carry (think Jock Strap style). It is a little unnerving at first, but you can literally have that thing on you at all times provided you have the right size pistol for use with it. It is a fantastic option when you'll have your jacket on/off throughout the day. After all, who is going to ask you about an extra bit of bulge in your pants?

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #145
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
We have a couple guys in the department that are using those for UC work.
I wear mine when I fly.. Its the most comfortable way I have found to conceal it and still have access if needed.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #146
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
just got my CHL and Im small guy, my G23 so big to carry, any recommendation of what gun to get?
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #147
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbmr3 View Post
just got my CHL and Im small guy, my G23 so big to carry, any recommendation of what gun to get?
there are a ton of options. Ruger LCP/LC9, Beretta Nano, SA XD-S, Sig 93x, any compact/sub-compact size 1911, M&P Shield, G42, etc etc etc. I'm sure I'm leaving off several.

Your best bet is to go to your LGS and try the feel of a few, rent them locally if possible and shoot them to figure out which you like best. IMO, the most important factors in concealability are width, and having the right holster. I can pretty easily conceal my government size 1911, but not so much my G21.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:26 PM   #148
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Define small guy? I appendix carry my 19 and a normal (non gun) person would never be able to tell.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #149
Riverbmr3

i was lookng into Ruger LCP or S&W bodyguard .380
Old 04-10-2014, 02:34 PM   #150
NOVAbimmer

Reedo will suggest a Kahr, he likes them.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:57 PM   #151
Riverbmr3

kAHR PM9 OR CM9
Old 04-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #152
NOVAbimmer

he just got a CM9, check the other gun talk threads for details
Old 04-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #153
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Quote:
i was lookng into Ruger LCP or S&W bodyguard .380
I had a Ruger LCP....you can't beat it in terms of size.

I got rid of it for 2 reasons though:
-.380 just isn't a caliber that I was comfortable carrying. For a slight size trade off you can get into a 9mm which is what I'm personally comfortable carrying from a ballistics standpoint.

-Reliability: It was pretty good, but didn't always return to 100% battery (maybe once every 40-50 rounds). Not a problem at the range, but could be a problem if you ever needed to use it. The slide just never felt like it wanted to "go home" all of the way. That was too big of a liability in my mind.

I ended up replacing it with a Kahr CM9. Admittedly I don't carry it as faithfully as I did my LCP, but when I do, I feel it is much more reliable than the Ruger. I haven't had a hiccup yet with it.

I'd also consider simething like a Ruger LCR or S&W Airweight J frame. I'd like to get back to a pocket gun and the CM9 definitely doesn't fit that criteria. They all have their place in the lineup though.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:04 PM   #154
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
I know 3 guys with LCPs and all are less than 100% reliable. 2/3 have been back to Ruger for repairs. One of the guys is one of my work partners and his only runs reliably on Hornady Critical Defense. Nothing else, not even FMJ. I am less than impressed with the quality of that gun. That said, micro compact pocket .380s are not known to be the most reliable pistols as a whole.

I can't speak to the reliability of the Kahr .380s, but the P380 and CW380 are very small and lightweight. I have previously owned a Kahr PM9 and was very happy with it, but never used it so I traded it. Once they are broken in, Kahrs are very reliable and they are smooth shooting. I'm happy to get a CM9 back into my inventory.

I debated picking up a CW380, as it's only $329 for my price. I may still pick one up as a quick pocket gun for when I have to just run up to the gas station quick or whatever in the summer. I wanted to get it for the size, but the fact is that the ballistics of the .380 are marginal and often times unsatisfactory. A GUN is better than NO GUN, so there's that...but if I have a choice between .380 and 9mm, it's a no-brainer for the 9mm in terms of capability and known reliability.
The issue with .380 is that most companies test the cartridge out of longer 3.5-4.5" barrels, and the velocity and energy are produced from that test. This includes companies like Federal, Speer and Hornady. With those tests, the .380 is not penetrating deep enough in ballistic gel to meet what are considered to be sufficient penetration depths. Now put those rounds into a 2.5" or 2.75" barrel and you have a lot less velocity, which means less energy, and thus less penetration. I haven't extensively searched, but to my knowledge as of right now with me being somewhat lazy, CorBon is the only company that tests their .380 ammunition out of a pocket pistol barrel. I think they do a 2.5" barrel for testing. If I were to carry a .380 and use JHP, I'd use CorBon DPX. That said, FMJ is actually more sufficient in the .380 because it will actually penetrate deep enough, unlike the defense loads with expanding bullets.

Something to think about. Like I said, having something is better than having nothing.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #155
Riverbmr3

i was thinking another Glock 26 or SA XDs, opinions on these?
Old 07-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #156
Devious21

My Ride: is topless
Quote:
i was thinking another Glock 26 or SA XDs, opinions on these?
Both solid choices. I just picked up an XDS.

Did you end up buying one of the two?

Devious21 is offline   Reply With Quote