E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
Tdaz250

My Ride: 07' 328i
A good first gun? Shotgun maybe?

Well the bottom line is im 19 so i cant buy a pistol, considering something for when me and friends go offroading or camping just to have at least something(my dads always saying "you dont know what kinda people are out there")

I was thinking a mossburg 500 ? I like the tactical ones with a pistol grip but i'm just curious what your guy's opinions are. I've shot pistols and shotguns before, not rifles though, and i dont really see myself getting one unless I dont know what i'm missing
Old 12-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
For an inexpensive shotgun I'd go with a classic, the Remington 870.
Mossberg's never appealed to me, I see them as cheap Sat Night Special types of shotguns.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies

Last edited by Fisch330ciTopasBlau; 12-18-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:28 AM   #3
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisch330ciTopasBlau View Post
For an inexpensive shotgun I'd go with a classic, the Remington 870.
Mossberg's never appealed to me, I see them as cheap Sat Night Special types of shotguns.
Every Mossberg M590 I was issued to carry in the Army jammed up the instant it got even a slight bit dirty. I owned a 500 20ga as my first shotgun, and that thing made it about a year, and then began jamming up on a regular basis.

I've always experienced much better results with Remington 870s.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:35 AM   #4
itzdylan24

My Ride: Not a BMW
Send a message via AIM to itzdylan24
i just bought my first remington 870 shotty bombotty
itzdylan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:06 AM   #5
SD 328I

My Ride: S197, E90, and 1125R
I have a Remington 870 which I got on sale at my local San Diego Big 5 sporting goods. They have sales from time to time on either Remis or Mossbergs.

I paid around $300 for it. The Mossbergs are cheaper spec for spec, or come with more goodies for the same price. For the price I paid for my Remi, I could have gotten a Mossberg with two barrels. The thing is, I don't like the feel of the Mossbergs, they feel cheap, the finish isn't as good.

Get a Remi 870, put a Knoxx pistol grip stock and some sights, and you have a nice shotty.

BTW - I have a Glock 17, HK USP .45, Springfield 1911 Loaded, and Sig P226 9mm, and my favorite weapon to shoot at the range is the Remington.

Last edited by SD 328I; 12-19-2010 at 03:14 AM.
SD 328I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:01 AM   #6
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdaz250 View Post
Well the bottom line is im 19 so i cant buy a pistol
Not true, you can certainly buy/own a firearm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 12-19-2010 at 10:07 AM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:01 AM   #7
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
I have a pistol grip Mosberg 500 and have not had any issues with it.

It is a hand full though.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #8
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
OP - Do some research.

I found this...

To purchase a handgun from a licensed dealer, or from a venue at which 25 or more guns are available for sale, you must be 21+
To purchase handgun ammunition, you must be 21+
To get a CHL in Oregon, you must be 21+
To own a handgun in Oregon, you must be 18+
Private party sales are legal in Oregon, provided that both parties are legally able to purchase / posess the firearms in question (not a felon, above the legal age, etc.).
In theory, then, a person above the age of 18 could legally purchase a handgun as part of a private party sale. They just cannot carry it, or transport it loaded.
Referenced: http://www.oregonfirearms.org/faq/

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Legal_age_...#ixzz18Zu3tOFc

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post
OP - Do some research.

I found this...

To purchase a handgun from a licensed dealer, or from a venue at which 25 or more guns are available for sale, you must be 21+
To purchase handgun ammunition, you must be 21+
To get a CHL in Oregon, you must be 21+
To own a handgun in Oregon, you must be 18+
Private party sales are legal in Oregon, provided that both parties are legally able to purchase / posess the firearms in question (not a felon, above the legal age, etc.).
In theory, then, a person above the age of 18 could legally purchase a handgun as part of a private party sale. They just cannot carry it, or transport it loaded.
Referenced: http://www.oregonfirearms.org/faq/

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Legal_age_...#ixzz18Zu3tOFc
That FAQ is horrible. Jut skimming through it I saw several mistakes:

Anyways
Yes, OP, you can purchase a firearm at your age (18+) in a private sale, as allowed by state law. You can't purchase from a FFL until you are 21 per federal law.

You also can receive a firearm from family, more specifically like your father as a gift.
Technically, he could purchase a firearm from an FFL for himself and then gift it to you (Two COMPLETELY separate actions).
This is NOT a straw purchase no matter how many Law enforcement agencies, politicians and people like The Brandy campaigns and CeaseFire tell you it is...

As there is NO registration required in OR, it's no ones business that the firearm passes from him to you.
As a background check in OR (private sale) is completely voluntary, you would not need one to be performed to purchase a firearm.

Even if you are under the age of 18, you can possess and use firearms with certain exceptions, such as:

1. Engaging in practice in the use of a firearm or target shooting
2. Traveling to or from any activity described above, provided that firearm is carried in a unconcealed and unloaded fashion

I live in PA not OR. I am not a lawyer nor an expert in PA or especially OR firearm laws. (I ain't pass the bar but i know a little bit)
You are responsible for your own confirmation of the above.

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 12-19-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:22 PM   #10
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Everyone should own a shotgun. They're a versatile firearm. If you're not using it for HD, clay shooting/plinking is always a ton of fun! The mossberg/Remington is like ford/chevy argument. I have a remington 870 (as a lefty nonetheless) because I feel like the action is a lot smoother. I personally don't use it for HD, but if I needed to in a pinch, I have a hundred rounds of 00 buck sitting by. As to buying/owning in OR? I think JJ has nailed it down. Good luck, shotguns are fun!

Forgot to mention - skip the pistol grip. Personal preference, I feel they're unnecessary on shotguns. Your call.

Last edited by Rush4theYehO; 12-19-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:27 PM   #11
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

updated my post

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 12-19-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #12
BeRzErKaS

My Ride: 330ciC; Boosted E36
Send a message via ICQ to BeRzErKaS
I've fired several 870s. I own a Mossberg.

I like them both but the Mossberg is a better value and has proven extemely reliable for me thus far. I clean my M500 once every 4 or 5 range trips and haven't had a single problem. Also, the ergonomics are better and the safety is in a place that makes better sense than that of the 870.

Mine is currently setup with an Aimpoint T1, side saddle, and Knoxx folding/recoil reducing stock. The OEM pistol grip seemed too short for my hands to get a good grip on which made handling it tough on the wrists. I have no problems with the current setup.

Both the Remington and the Mossberg are in use by the military but Mossberg claims that the 500 is the only shotgun to pass the Army's Mil-Spec 3443E torture test.

Being a civilian I'm willing to bet that either gun will suit your purposes just fine. I will save you some time by telling you now that just about every internet debate you will run across basically boils down to personal preference in the end. My best advice would be to head to the gunstore and see which one fits your body and handles best in your own hands.

BMW 3 Series - "Welcome to the club."

Supercharged E-dIrTy-6 325is 5sp
Drop Top E-sPorTy-6 330cic Step
BeRzErKaS is offline   Reply With Quote