E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
jerflash

My Ride: 2002 Pontiac WS6
looking to pickup a 2002 330xi...have some questions

I found a red 2002 330xi for sale in my area. It has the sport package and the premium package on the car...sadly no cold weather package. It is at a dealer car that they took in on trade and im wondering if you guys here think its worth it. Car look pretty still but does have bumper scuffs and a few rock chips and scratches...blame the NYC driving. Car has 87K miles on it and im pretty sure i could get it for 8500 including taxes which sounds good but a few things are holding me back. the interior i would say is an 7 out of ten. Driver seat is clearly warn and the wood trim has some chips and the door arm rests have some slight tears in them. Valve cover gasket has a leak of course and i smell coolant when its running but its not a heavy smell. i know i will have to do a coolant system over haul on it. car vibrates a bit when in drive and on the brake. steering wheel shakes a bit at speed and the car needs brakes all around. carfax looks good except for one accident and i found where it was painted on the car but does not show signs of serious body work. do you guys think its worth it? i have included some pics so let me know and thanks in advance for your help

joe

jerflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
tnhl1989

My Ride: 02 330xi(RIP),03 ZHP
Send a message via Skype™ to tnhl1989
Bring it to a shop to get it fully checked out. Overall it doesn't seem like a bad deal.
tnhl1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
jerflash

well i am a mechanic and do all my own work its just im not so familiar with BMWs. Far as i can see it needs a tuneup, all fluids done, brake overhaul, coolant system at least checked out for now. I would want to change the rims cause the owner put style 68 staggered rims from the 330I sport and dont really want staggered on a AWD car. I do get 30 days of warranty on the car for motor and tranny here in NYS. So if anything major happens before a month im covered and if it does not then it probbaly wont for awhile.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #4
tnhl1989

My Ride: 02 330xi(RIP),03 ZHP
Send a message via Skype™ to tnhl1989
At 87k Miles wait till you hit the 100k...then you got a lot of other things to check for. Read up on everything you can about the car. It's a fun car to drive around.
tnhl1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
jerflash

ya im thinking hard today about buying it and im sure it would last though the winter as it is before i have to do anything to it.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:03 PM   #6
E-rock

My Ride: '01 330xi
I'd pass on the bimmer...
The truck in the background is taking off. A flying truck is totally sweet.

"So when you go for a drive, remember to leave your murderous anger where it belongs - at home."
E-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
jerflash

thats a fantastic post lol
Old 12-19-2010, 06:54 PM   #8
Gottalovethexi

My Ride: 03 xi & 72 Bav
Send a message via AIM to Gottalovethexi
if you wanna dish out a little more cash, im always looking to sell my car and im local-ish

03 w/ 61k

Last edited by Gottalovethexi; 12-19-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Gottalovethexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:58 PM   #9
SWFan

My Ride: 2011 335is
With the vibrations you mention, I'd get under that car and do a detailed inspection of the inner and outer CV joints. If any of them have gone bad then you could be looking at axle replacements.

You mention the staggered wheels, so are the tires different sizes front to back as well? If so, then I'd be concerned about damage to the AWD system, BMW's aren't designed for staggered on the AWD models. There are some that have done very small staggered setups with little problems, but overall its not a good idea.

A final thought, be aware that even though you can do most of the labor yourself, the parts are still expensive. So you could still invest significant $'s into this car even doing the labor yourself.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:32 PM   #10
jerflash

well it it is the axles i can do those easy enough and at about 100 a piece its not that bad. The tire sizes on the car are 225/45/17 front and 245/40/17 out back. i know the backs are slightly smaller in diameter then the fronts its within spec i do believe...only .20-.25 inch difference.
I dont mind doing work cause i know these cars require it but bottom of the line is the car worth the price?
Old 12-20-2010, 07:36 AM   #11
Pierce1

My Ride: 03 330xi
I'd buy it for 8.5k. Besides, it is very close to the car I'm driving. Same color and body(sport package). Only the wheels are different. I paid 18k for mine with 54k miles on it two years ago with sport and winter package. 6sp tranny.
Pierce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #12
dephantn

My Ride: 740iL-325xi
WHen you enter the Bimmer world, you have to expect & will pay some more to exchange the " Bim logo title" . The best is you r mechanic, it will save you ton of $$. Do not worry much the parts, it not more expensive than other car as as people think.
I have very good experience 6 years with XI, 325-2002, (and 4 years with X5 -2003 ) both driving & cars, NO big/bad problem ( of course, I'm very good DIY ).
Bought 325xi 2002 at 42 Kmiles, auto, on 2005 ( $ US 24K) never regret.
dephantn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #13
pjo33us

$8500 is a great price. Are you sure there were no major accidents?

If you are mechanically inclined there is really nothing too major that you will/may have to do. These cars are ridiculously easy to work on. Parts are about the same price as a Honda or a Subaru. THat being said, there are a lot of things that may require attention over the next 30k and it will add up. I have not added it all up but I think I have probably put about $1500 into mine in the last 2 years (control arms, front cv halfshafts, VCG, plugs, cooling system, MAF sensor, xenon bulbs)...

That shimmy while driving is your biggest concern. It is most likely your control arms (look at the rubber parts and looseness in the ball) and/or cv joints (look for grease around the boots). The only thing that would really turn me off on that car is if the head was ever compromised with a major overheat. I have seen guys replace the head gasket but you have a 50/50 shot of the block being useless once you pull the head. Even then, you could find a replacement engine in a junk yard easy enough.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:52 AM   #14
jerflash

well i have the carfax and is perfect except for one accident back in 07. i can see where they painted the right rear quarter only because i know what to look for. does not seem like much body work was done...maybe a slight pull and paint. interior wise the 2 rear door panel arm rests have a some tears, drive seat has wear from a fat man, and wood trim on dash is slightly beat up...otherwise its nice just need a cleaning. the place im buying it from took it in on trade so they are making money at the lower price and and its 8500 including taxes so ya lol

Last edited by jerflash; 12-20-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:00 PM   #15
pjo33us

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerflash View Post
well i have the carfax and is perfect except for one accident back in 07. i can see where they painted the right rear quarter only because i know what to look for. does not seem like much body work was done...maybe a slight pull and paint. interior wise the 2 rear door panel arm rests have a some tears, drive seat has wear from a fat man, and wood trim on dash is slightly beat up...otherwise its nice just need a cleaning. the place im buying it from took it in on trade so they are making money at the lower price and and its 8500 including taxes so ya lol
Sounds really good... I like the color too. I wanted a red one when I bought mine. Interior parts are not that big a deal. Not to generalize but if the interior arm rests are worn, some hot mom was probably driving her rugrats around in it. Which most likely means the car was not driven all that hard. Do it.

Oh, and I left brakes (pads, rotors and fluid) off my earlier post. You will probably need them. About $250 stock.

One other thing you can do is take the VIN to your local BMW dealer and they will pull the service history for you. Be sure the coil pack recall was done.

Last edited by pjo33us; 12-20-2010 at 12:02 PM.
pjo33us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #16
jerflash

ya i was thinking about going and getting the service history. good call man. i will do that today and try and pick it up this week
Old 12-20-2010, 06:35 PM   #17
Sheisty

My Ride: '00 323i & 02 330xi
XI = all wheel drive I thought that was part of the cold weather package. Do the rear seats fold down, ski bag pass through and are the seats heated? My 2002 330xi does all of the above except the headlight washers.

At any rate make sure that vibration isn't your front axles. Most folks don't know those front axles can easily go bad especially in our cold area. All it takes is a few u-turns and tight parallel parking jobs to bust the boot. And they are damn expesive around 650 per axel.

In the cold its very easy to damage those front axles on the xi's.
Sheisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:38 PM   #18
Sheisty

My Ride: '00 323i & 02 330xi
PS I forgot how it goes but you can jack up the front of the car and wiggle the tire. It should be stiff with out much play. If there is a lot of play to the left/right or up/down then you have lower control arm & front axel issues (I forget which is what). Another way to check the axels is when driving does the vibrating go away for the most part when you take your foot off the gas.
Sheisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #19
ChipDouglas27

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipDouglas27 Send a message via Skype™ to ChipDouglas27
I just bought a '03 325xi with 65k miles for $14,500. It has one small tear in the driver's seat and one scratch on the bumper. I took it to an independent mechanic before I negotiated the price. They found several things wrong with the car. The dealer ended up fixing some of them and gave me some negotiating room on the price. Now it is just about perfect. Get a mechanic you can trust. It seems like most of the people on this post are pretty passionate about their cars and are not looking to dump it for something new. I know I am looking to keep My Car for years and am willing to spend the money to keep it running. But make sure you have something worth investing your time and money to begin with.
ChipDouglas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #20
brandonwish

My Ride: 02 325i 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheisty View Post
XI = all wheel drive I thought that was part of the cold weather package. Do the rear seats fold down, ski bag pass through and are the seats heated? My 2002 330xi does all of the above except the headlight washers.
Not all XI's have CWP. I can tell from the pictures his does not because no heated seat buttons = no CWP
brandonwish is offline   Reply With Quote