E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 06:51 PM   #21
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
$8500 is an amazing price if everything checks out.

But don't you really want a manual trans?
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:46 PM   #22
jerflash

My Ride: 2002 Pontiac WS6
i dont need a manual trans. im using this as my every day driver. i have a Red 2002 pontiac trans am WS6 with a 6 speed and 525 hp so if i get a second car i would like the auto. thats also the reason why i want the xi so badly...i already have a rear wheel drive car and cant drive in the snow...dont need another lol
jerflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:05 PM   #23
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerflash View Post
i dont need a manual trans. im using this as my every day driver. i have a Red 2002 pontiac trans am WS6 with a 6 speed and 525 hp so if i get a second car i would like the auto. thats also the reason why i want the xi so badly...i already have a rear wheel drive car and cant drive in the snow...dont need another lol
What if I burn your trans am? Will you get a manual tranny then?

Are you sure you even want a BMW?
Old 12-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #24
jerflash

nope not going to burn the WS6. yes i am sure...have wanted one since i was 15 but my love for Pontiac runs a bit deeper then for BMW. I was thinking about selling the WS6 and getting a 07-08 335xi but unsure. i am the first owner and spent so much money on the car it does not real pay to sell it. i love to car and will beat the **** out of pretty much anything it comes across and even handle pretty well lol.

like i said it will be my daily driver...all be it an awesome one
Old 12-20-2010, 10:18 PM   #25
Sheisty

My Ride: '00 323i & 02 330xi
I purchased my 2002 330xi for about 10,500 give or take w/ 110,000 last thanks giving. Near mint condition, new tires, new front-back exhaust, new brakes/rotors front & back and a couple other things. Excellent car out the box and will perform extremely well in the snow.
Sheisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:06 AM   #26
eschantra

My Ride: 2008 X5, 2001 Z06
Send a message via Yahoo to eschantra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
$8500 is an amazing price if everything checks out.

But don't you really want a manual trans?
I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting a daily driver with an automatic and a track car with a manual Price seems reasonable to boot.

2008 X5 4.8i - H&R, Rotiform, Dunlop, Umnitza, BMW Performance
2001 Z06 - Pfadt, Hawk, CCW or OEM, Hoosier or Nitto
1996 328is - super cheap street and track project
2012 328i Sport (wifemobile) - it's here!

Contributing blogger at RacingReady.com......wannabe to real racer!
Read my latest Corvette Forum article here
eschantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:14 AM   #27
chaso

My Ride: 2001 330xi
8500 for a car you have this many questions about?

i picked my car up for 7900 and it runs fine. 01 with 102k miles, manual, with cold/premium/sport packages. keep looking.
chaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:06 AM   #28
pjo33us

My Ride: 03 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheisty View Post
XI = all wheel drive I thought that was part of the cold weather package. Do the rear seats fold down, ski bag pass through and are the seats heated? My 2002 330xi does all of the above except the headlight washers.

At any rate make sure that vibration isn't your front axles. Most folks don't know those front axles can easily go bad especially in our cold area. All it takes is a few u-turns and tight parallel parking jobs to bust the boot. And they are damn expesive around 650 per axel.

In the cold its very easy to damage those front axles on the xi's.
This is not altogether true... BMW rebulid axles are expensive. I have been fine with FEQ or A1 Cardones which are around $80... This should not deter you from this car. Pretty easy to change them out as well, although it is a dirty job.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:13 AM   #29
pjo33us

My Ride: 03 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaso View Post
8500 for a car you have this many questions about?

i picked my car up for 7900 and it runs fine. 01 with 102k miles, manual, with cold/premium/sport packages. keep looking.
Where are you guys getting these cars this cheap? Is this a function of you being in Florida and probably the only guy that wants an xi? Not a big believer in global warming are you?

I am in Colorado (where it snows and the roads get crappy) and I paid 11k for mine at auction... Car is in great shape but I still had to do a fair amount of maintenece on it as it had just about 75k on it. If I were going to do it again I would have bought something with higher miles that has had a lot of this stuff done already.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #30
SWFan

My Ride: 2011 335is
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjo33us View Post
Where are you guys getting these cars this cheap? Is this a function of you being in Florida and probably the only guy that wants an xi? Not a big believer in global warming are you?
I think its more supply and demand. If you look at the for sale ads there always seems to be a higher percentage of BMW's for sale in the following states, CA, NY, NJ and FL. I think there is just enough of these on the market in those states that prices tend to go lower due to higher competition compared to states like ours, CO and MO.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #31
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschantra View Post
I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting a daily driver with an automatic and a track car with a manual Price seems reasonable to boot.
The only problem is that the xi is going to be faster at the track than the trans am.

A true, deep down, for life, death-do-us-part BMW guy would never buy an automatic BMW. It may still get you some badge bunnies- but people like me will always look down on men who drive auto E46's.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #32
eschantra

My Ride: 2008 X5, 2001 Z06
Send a message via Yahoo to eschantra
Quote:
The only problem is that the xi is going to be faster at the track than the trans am.
Depending on how it's set up, that's a good possibility.

Quote:
A true, deep down, for life, death-do-us-part BMW guy would never buy an automatic BMW. It may still get you some badge bunnies- but people like me will always look down on men who drive auto E46's.
Looking down on might be a little strong, but if my wife knew how to drive a manual and I didn't have a clutzy 16 year old at home just now learning to drive, my E46 would be a manual too. Of course, if my wife knew how to drive a manual and I didn't have a clutzy 16 year old at home, my DD would be an E63 and my track car would be a C6 Z06

2008 X5 4.8i - H&R, Rotiform, Dunlop, Umnitza, BMW Performance
2001 Z06 - Pfadt, Hawk, CCW or OEM, Hoosier or Nitto
1996 328is - super cheap street and track project
2012 328i Sport (wifemobile) - it's here!

Contributing blogger at RacingReady.com......wannabe to real racer!
Read my latest Corvette Forum article here
eschantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:46 AM   #33
Beamerfan4life

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330XI
2005 330xi - 34,000 miles

I have a 2005 330xi if you are interested.

2005 BMW 330XI - 34,500 miles. CPO warranty expired 2 months ago.

2 month old MIchellin pilot sport plus tires with tire rack ext warranty.

Premium package, cold weather package, rear park sensors, wood trim, all leather inside, auto trans, Harmon kardon music sytem, ipod aux connection,

all rotors and brakes changed a month ago. service records available.

oil change a month ago - all service at prestige bmw.

Red color , scratchless condition.
Beamerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:48 AM   #34
chaso

That is EXACTLY why you shouldn't look in a Northern state, for an AWD car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFan View Post
I think its more supply and demand. If you look at the for sale ads there always seems to be a higher percentage of BMW's for sale in the following states, CA, NY, NJ and FL. I think there is just enough of these on the market in those states that prices tend to go lower due to higher competition compared to states like ours, CO and MO.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:09 AM   #35
Sheisty

My Ride: '00 323i & 02 330xi
Supply & Demand is about right. All those states you mention you see a zillion BMW's so of course the used car market will be better there. Where as if your where BMW's are not as possibly people are generally going to ask for more money unless you get lucky and find somebody that wants to get rid of the car badly.
Sheisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #36
jerflash

Quote:

Well when it comes to people like you i would just go home and grab my trans am and bust that ass lol.

Besides that is just plain untrue about the xi being faster around the track then my car. Plus my car is more of a drag car then a track car...pulls the front wheels without giggle juice. With my adjustable shocks and fully adjustable suspension and my power all i need is a tire change then im good for the track. seems to me that your just a hater...i look down on people with my car if they dont have a manual cause its a real sports car...but really this is a 4 door sedan that is AWD that i plan to daily drive and use in the snowy salty winter. I want the car cause its beautiful, drives awesome, and they are reliable if maintained.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:10 AM   #37
jerflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamerfan4life View Post
I have a 2005 330xi if you are interested.

2005 BMW 330XI - 34,500 miles. CPO warranty expired 2 months ago.

2 month old MIchellin pilot sport plus tires with tire rack ext warranty.

Premium package, cold weather package, rear park sensors, wood trim, all leather inside, auto trans, Harmon kardon music sytem, ipod aux connection,

all rotors and brakes changed a month ago. service records available.

oil change a month ago - all service at prestige bmw.

Red color , scratchless condition.
sounds like an awesome car and if you wanna give it to me for under 10000 then i will take it but i know you want more...just out of my price range
Old 12-24-2010, 01:11 PM   #38
White_Knuckles

Quote:
... but people like me will always look down on men who drive auto E46's.
See, people like me, always look down on men who post narrow-minded and insulting opinions of no value. I lost most use of my right leg due to stroke and enjoy every rolling moment in my Steptronic XI. The shifting points and intelligent programing where it downshifts, when it should, is amazing. I would recommend the GM made Step to anyone and would definitely own one injury or not.

CV Boots fail from age and repeated stress not tight turns as one poster suggests. These are great cars especially for someone who enjoys wrenching. As far as being a second class citizen 'cause you roll in an auto, that's just absurd.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:05 PM   #39
jerflash

OP here and i just found another interesting car. It is a 2003 325xi private sale by me. Car looks great but has 150K on the clock. One owner car and says to have all service records and has always been serviced by BMW dealer. Listed for 6500 but probably can knock a grand off that if i go there with cash easy...maybe more if im lucky. even has new tires. Other then the fact its missing almost 40hp compared to the 330xi...do you guys think i should consider it? You guys have been a big help so far and thanks.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:41 PM   #40
chaso

Well said. Enjoy a BMW any way you can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckles View Post
See, people like me, always look down on men who post narrow-minded and insulting opinions of no value. I lost most use of my right leg due to stroke and enjoy every rolling moment in my Steptronic XI. The shifting points and intelligent programing where it downshifts, when it should, is amazing. I would recommend the GM made Step to anyone and would definitely own one injury or not.

CV Boots fail from age and repeated stress not tight turns as one poster suggests. These are great cars especially for someone who enjoys wrenching. As far as being a second class citizen 'cause you roll in an auto, that's just absurd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Bimmer App

OEM+ 2001 330xi | Steel Gray | Black | FK Highsports