E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 10:52 PM   #1
mripke

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Cxi
Excessive Steering Pull Left/Right at high speeds

Excessive pull in steering

I've recently had some issues while traveling at high speeds on the freeway. I've heard somewhat of a clicking or knocking sound coming from what sounds like the front right side, especially while driving. I've also had horrible steering jerk while breaking.

At around 60 mph the steering wheel will begin to vibrate and as I go faster it tends to stop but if I hit 80 mph it gets worse and will go from right to left and pull the car to the right. The first time this happened I was 20 miles from home and would do this on/off during the ride. I found out as I slowed to 40 mph it got excessively worse to the point where I couldn't hold the steering wheel.

To remedy the steering wheel jerk while breaking I installed the polyurethane CAB (just to the right side as that's all the time I had, plan on doing the other at some point in the future) After doing so I took it out for a test run and the breaking was greatly improved. Since we're in Michigan, there's snow on the roads so I tested it around the neighborhood with some power slides and heaving breaking. It seemed as though it was fixed.

I then took it to the freeway where the high speed routine happened again. This time it was worse as it was making a rubbing sound (fuha, fuha, fuha) and I also smelled burnt rubber. I'm assuming something was hitting the tire, but I can't be sure what side. I'm assuming the right since it pulled that way. I stopped on the side of the road and then tried going again. It eventually would straighten out and then I could go again but only slower. Once I got off the freeway I had it happen 2 or 3 more times within 1 mile of my house.

Before the driveI had the car up and inspected the front end and everything "looked" worn but there were no major flaws that I could see (excessive bending of tie rod or loose bolts). I'm going to check the tire to see what happened. I also have had new tires recently put on and the steering seemed fine up until recently. I do hit major pot holes as anyone in MI can attest to missing one only to hit another (I'm talking massive, I've gone through 3 or 4 rims so far). I'm going to check it out tomorrow in better light as I couldn't see anything tonight, plus I'm tired and just can't make sense of anything when I looked.

Any insight is appreciated. I tried scouring the threads but could only find the jerking steering issue which I resolved with the CABs. BMW gave me a list during one of their "free" inspections that totaled up to a new car. Thus far I've replaced the PS pump (4 months ago) and I'm looking to replace the worn CV boot on that same right side (2nd one). I thought that clicking sound could have been the CV bearings but I don't see how it could affect steering. I've had the original boots torn before (and much longer than these have been) and I've never had this issue.

Sorry if there's any grammatical errors, I'm tired. Let me know if you need clarification on any symptom.

Thanks,
Mike
mripke is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:20 AM   #2
TX_Bullet

My Ride: 2001 325Xi
Sounds like a ball joint. Jack the car and check for play
Number of Destroyed Newb Destroyers- 1
The Mods

Power Flex FCAB
Much more coming.....
TX_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:33 AM   #3
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
I'm going to ask the obvious. Time for an alignment? If not, I'd put my money on tie rods or ball joints.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:36 AM   #4
Capt1014

My Ride: 2002 325xi
The pulling under braking sounds like the tie rods are shot and may lead to the shaking.

Overkill is an often underrated state of achivement!
Capt1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
mripke

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Cxi
It's definitely time for an alignment, I believe it probably is the ball joint. I'm going to find out shortly as I'm at my local garage and it's up in the air right now.

Any ideas of a fair price on a tie rod repair? I know I could probably do it myself but it's 20 degrees out and I need the car sooner than later.
mripke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #6
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Tie-rods assemblies at a shop are $167 a piece and between 1 and 2 hours of labor for both.

The only time I take my car to a shop-they end up ruining my tie-rods in the process of giving me the worst alignment of all time. I had to get three quotes for the shop to reimburse me: Turner Motorsports: $558, Bavarian Performance Group: $610, Stealer: $1020. TMS doesn't do their alignment in-house, so they are a few bucks cheaper.

Pick your alignment technician (not just the shop) very carefully.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:52 AM   #7
lotar_6

My Ride: '01 xi, '94 Rado
left to right pulls might indicate an issue with the steering rack itself. I've read of them failing on the xi's... how many miles on the car?

also, did you notice any wear marks on the tires from your burning rubber smell? look closely for indications of what might be rubbing to point you where to look further.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:08 AM   #8
Capt1014

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Tie-rods assemblies at a shop are $167 a piece and between 1 and 2 hours of labor for both.

The only time I take my car to a shop-they end up ruining my tie-rods in the process of giving me the worst alignment of all time. I had to get three quotes for the shop to reimburse me: Turner Motorsports: $558, Bavarian Performance Group: $610, Stealer: $1020. TMS doesn't do their alignment in-house, so they are a few bucks cheaper.

Pick your alignment technician (not just the shop) very carefully.

Overkill is an often underrated state of achivement!
Capt1014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burning rubber, left/right, pull, steering