E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2003, 11:41 AM   #1
zameus

My Ride: 2000 328i
Sunglasses Compartment

Can anyone tell me if there's anything behind the sunglasses compartment. I'd like to mount an EQ in there but I'd need a couple inches of extra depth. Is it a pain to remove?
zameus is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:50 AM   #2
zameus

nevermind. Just found a thread referring to it as a "cubby" and my question is answered. It's a big old "no can do" by the way.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:52 AM   #3
Delirium
yo mama

My Ride: -
zameus: did you get a HU yet? get a HU with a built in EQ if you havent yet.
Delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 01:54 PM   #4
zameus

Nah, I'm still holding off. I can't bring myself to do it.

I reinstalled my Diamond 6" drivers and they sound really good now. Midbass is hitting hard. I sound deadened the inner door panel. Then I ground down the lip on the stock mount down to almost nothing. Then I had to cut out the tabs for the grills because the drivers were hitting them when the excursion got close to max. I just superglued them from the outside and they're holding tight. Front mounted the drivers to baffles attached at the stock bolt locations and whammo- instant midbass bliss.

Got some new door clips to replace the ones I broke after taking the door panels off 73 times. It's all sealed up nice now- no gaps- no magnet hitting- tight as a drum.

I just need the EQ to make adjustments for some CD's that sound a little flat to me. Most sound killer so I don't think it has anything to do with the speakers or install. Also to boost a couple frequencies for when I'm listening to it at the lower volumes (girlfriend or daughter is in the car).

I think it's a HU thing and I think the EQ will work.

I just have no idea where to put it. I don't want to put it in the glove compartment because I want to adjust it on the fly and reaching into your glovebox at 80 mph on the highway during the commute can be a little bit dangerous. Especially since the traffic around here can go from 85 to 0 without much warning. If only there was a unit with a remote faceplate or something. If there is it's probably pretty high end and cost $$$.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:03 PM   #5
Delirium
yo mama

yeah its probably the HU, you might as well save yourself the money & get a HU with everything in it. That cost will be about the same as buying a good EQ which wont even work as well.

And the install is completely reversable.
Old 04-30-2003, 03:06 PM   #6
zameus

Ah, but the fit? It seems like every aftermarket HU I've see doesn't fit flush (bottom lip extending) or it just doesn't fit the BMW aesthetic. The only exceptions being the LCD screens people make custom faceplates for. Do you have any picts of yours? I think you have the HU I would get if I got one.

A decent used eclipse EQ is only about $150. Much cheaper than a new HU. Not that it's about the $.

A lanzar EQ is around $60.

I do have my doubts about how effective it would be. Either no one seems willing to share their experiences with an EQ and stock HU or no one has done it.
Old 04-30-2003, 03:45 PM   #7
Delirium
yo mama

Well, I dont have any pics, but I think the Alpine cda-7897 fits great, but the buttons are green, who cares.

Sure an eclipse EQ is $150, but my HU with MP3 capability 3 sets of 4v preouts, hi/low/pass corssovers, 5 band EQ, 50x4 max watts of power, time correction, bass focus, and CLEAN SOUND, is only $450 online. I think that would put the built in EQ well below $150.

I urge your to get a HU because I know you like SQ sound & you can tell the difference. Some people cant tell the difference, so they think the stock HK system is the best thing since sliced bread. You have the M6's why muffle them at the SOURCE? They are called source units because your system is only as good as its source. I can buy CDT eurosports or dynaudio speakers for close to $1000, but it isnt a damn thing with the stock HU which sucks.

maybe no one has an EQ with the stock Hu becuse IMO, there is no point. Its like putting $5000 lightweight racing wheels on a 100 hp civic dx. You might as well get a better engine (source).

BUT, thats just my opinion.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:06 PM   #8
zameus

No, even worse, I spent more $ and have the Diamond HEX comps with the stock HU (not the m6's).

The sad part is I know you're right. I will not deny that replacing the stock HU is the optimum solution. It's just that, for me, it's the last resort. I love how the stock HU fits the contours of the dash and is pretty seemless design wise in regards to finish and look.
I'm so pathetic in this respect I've tossed the idea around of keeping the disconnected stock HU in the dash and hiding an Alpine HU elsewhere. It it wasn't for ergonomic concearns I'd probably do it too.

Maybe I could probably make a faceplate to attach to the front of an alpine to better integrate it with the dash. I was an Industrial Design major so I know a little bit about model making. Not that my skills compare to some people on this forum (like Rich) but it might be possible. If someone did make one and made a mold so a bunch could be easily reproduced I think there would be some $ to be made.

I don't know. I think I'll poke around on sounddomain and see take another look at how the aftermarket stuff looks in a 3 series. Maybe it's not as bad as I remember.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:35 PM   #9
Pmmeke
modder fokker

My Ride: E46/E92M3/E60 525d
Send a message via ICQ to Pmmeke
if you get the alpine then you might conside the eq 11 band pxa 510. It has a remote face plate and i have it in my sun glass compartment. You also get time correction withs is pretty cool.

It also has some pre dolby surround effekts like dance, life, stadium, ext but that sucks. Its just a distorted sound and it only add echo to the sound witch doesnt sound good but the eq if cool.
Pmmeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 05:01 PM   #10
Delirium
yo mama

Personally, I like the way my ampine looks, its sunken in when in & is pretty much flush when its out. Only thing is that the lights are green, but I dont really mind that much...

remember, stock in also boring...j/k

damn you have hex's off your stock HU? wanna trade? Ill put them to good use.
Old 04-30-2003, 06:57 PM   #11
zameus

Well, I'd believe your alpine looks good Delirium if you would maybe SHOW SOME PICTS!

If the Alpine deck has an built in EQ, why get the add on? Isn't that for models without?
Old 04-30-2003, 06:58 PM   #12
zameus

Oh, and you can have my HEX's when you pry them from my cold ,dead, fingers.

Or is that my rifle?

Never mind.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:13 PM   #13
Delirium
yo mama

Quote:
Originally posted by zameus
Well, I'd believe your alpine looks good Delirium if you would maybe SHOW SOME PICTS!

If the Alpine deck has an built in EQ, why get the add on? Isn't that for models without?
ok, ok, ill get some pics up.. but dont the attachments look crappy now?
Old 06-09-2003, 11:53 AM   #14
ken330i
E46 Fever God

My Ride: F2 dumped
Send a message via AIM to ken330i
I want the same setup like Zameus mentioned. I love how the oem HU looks. I just want an eq to fine tune some music that needed. If aftermarket HU makes so much difference, then I need to reconsider.
Old 06-09-2003, 01:41 PM   #15
zameus

For what it's worth, I ended up installing an in-dash sized EQ in the trunk. I used long enough connections that they allow me to pull it through the ski-pass to the drivers seat and make adjustments. I found that once I got the EQ set a happy medium for most CD's I can just tweak it a bit at the HU using the bass and treble settings. I'm very happy with the results.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:58 PM   #16
ken330i
E46 Fever God

zameus, i want to install an alpine eq right in the glasses compartment where the flap/lid closes to hide the eq. the eq has about 4.5" in depth. you think this is possible?

how do you connect the eq wires to the oem HU? how many wires? is it hard? i dont like the fact that the eq is in the trunk. i need to be able to change the freq. on the fly while driving. btw, does your eq make a big difference? thanks.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:11 PM   #17
zameus

No can do. There is minimal space behind that compartment. The vent tubes run right behind it from what I've seen. To modify it would be a ridiculous undertaking. I think the closest you can get is mounting it in the glove compartment.

As far as connections go it's: HU-VEN4-EQ-AMP-Speakers
You need rca's,power, and ground.

For me, it made a big difference. I felt that the HU was a little thin in the lower frequencies and too strong in the 3-5khz area.
So I used the EQ to warm the sound a bit and even out some harsness.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:20 PM   #18
Delirium
yo mama

the Alpine EQ has a seperate face & brain, so it will probably fit in a very shallow area.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:26 PM   #19
Pmmeke
modder fokker

My Ride: E46/E92M3/E60 525d
Send a message via ICQ to Pmmeke
still

i love my eq remote in there douh
Pmmeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 03:00 AM   #20
ken330i
E46 Fever God

Quote:
Originally posted by zameus
No can do. There is minimal space behind that compartment. The vent tubes run right behind it from what I've seen. To modify it would be a ridiculous undertaking. I think the closest you can get is mounting it in the glove compartment.

As far as connections go it's: HU-VEN4-EQ-AMP-Speakers
You need rca's,power, and ground.

For me, it made a big difference. I felt that the HU was a little thin in the lower frequencies and too strong in the 3-5khz area.
So I used the EQ to warm the sound a bit and even out some harsness.
Thanks for sharing Zameus. I think I will go with something like what Pmmeke did. It's the most convenient place to put the eq. i will have to find an eq that fits in there.