E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
vPanya

My Ride: 01 325CI
Subframe Bushing DIY

I'm planning to get down there to remove differential bushing, while everything back theres dropped, i think its a good idea to drop to subframe too.. has anyone done it? do those bushings wear fast ? thansk

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
You basicly need to drop the subframe to get the bushing out/in.

Easiest way i did it was to use a blowtorch to get the rubber part of the bushing out and then heat along with a "splitter" to split the remaining metal ring into small chunks.
The ring comes out piece by piece that is.(time consuming as fawk)

Getting it in is as simple as using a vice or a bushing puller to get it in
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:53 PM   #3
fotsir

My Ride: 2004 Lexus IS300
I have a tool here that will make the job a lot easier. You won't need to drop the subframe at all.

Just remove the differential and then the tool makes it as easy as turning a wrench. I've got a set for the rear bushing and the front bushings where the diff bolts into the subframe.

PM me if you're interested in buying the tools.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
We have developed a rear subframe bushing refresh kit that will help aid in this repair...

Click HERE for more information.

Please let us know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.

Best,
Joe

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
So let me get this straight, you don't have to drop the subframe with these tools? Any pics on how this works?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:36 PM   #6
fotsir

My Ride: 2004 Lexus IS300
E46Mango: If you're talking to me, all you have to do is remove the rear differential and then use the tools to remove the bushings. Just to be clear, I am talking about the three mounting bushings of the differential and not the four subframe mounting bushings. The tools are actually in two different kits, one for the front and one for the rear.