E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 01:02 AM   #1
Mikeyjakus

My Ride: 95'M3,00'323CI,02'X5
Subframe Reinforcement Template

Does anyone have a subframe reinforcement kit that they bought that they could trace and scan in order to provide a template to make your own? Maybe include the gauge or thickness of the metal and dimensions. I can't understand why $10 of steel costs $150. Or if anyone in Wisconsin bought a kit and would let me trace it that would be great. Or does anyone know where a kit could be bought for a reasonable price. Thanks
Mikeyjakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:43 AM   #2
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyjakus View Post
I can't understand why $10 of steel costs $150. Thanks
The cost to build a Die in relation to the production run determines the cost of produced parts.

Ask me how I know.
How many do you think they sold/made?

Or did you think they had people cut out every plate by hand.

No need to make templates, just fab the plates yourself(when the car is up in the air and the subframe off, bend the plates with a hammer around the area needed) if you dont want to spend the money, BUT I assure you, you'll regret it and wish you'd buy a kit. Thats why I bought a kit.

I cant remember the thickness of the plates, but they are not thick at all.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:15 AM   #3
MrMotorwerk
Der Meisterstück

My Ride: '02 330Ci
Just buy the kit. It's wrong to say someone else's product is not worth what they're charging. Did ever account for the R&D that they put into it? Sometimes something that looks simple might not have been so simple to create.

If $150 is beyond your budget, then rather than reverse engineering someone else's product, make your own.
MrMotorwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
Levi@AvTechParts
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: e46 sedan
I hope you're cutting and bending everything yourself or having a friend do it for a low cost. If not, you might want to just buy the $150 kit.

*And don't blatantly copy someone elses work. Look at some pictures to understand the design/placement and get under your car and make your own measurements.

Last edited by Levi@AvTechParts; 12-21-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Levi@AvTechParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:29 AM   #5
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyjakus View Post
I can't understand why $10 of steel costs $150.
The same reason why an "improved" dip stick guide tube (p/n: 11437565437 from SIB 110803: http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B110803g.htm) costs $150 (or more) versus the old style dip stick guide tube (p/n: 11437531258) at $40.

genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
Mikeyjakus

Quote:
Originally Posted by genuity View Post
The same reason why an "improved" dip stick guide tube (p/n: 11437565437 from SIB 110803: http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B110803g.htm) costs $150 (or more) versus the old style dip stick guide tube (p/n: 11437531258) at $40.

Oh my that's not right.

I've only seen Turner's kit. Does anyone else sell these, are some better than others? I think I'll probably end up buying a kit.

Last edited by Mikeyjakus; 12-21-2010 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Bav auto doesn't sell a kit
Old 12-21-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
rowdy lee

My Ride: 2000 323ci
mad-city?

If you're anywhere near Madison, take it to KellyMoss Motorsports. That's where I had my Turner kits installed. They did a great job and even without a kit, they are master fabricators and could easily do the work.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:21 AM   #8
Mikeyjakus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy lee View Post
If you're anywhere near Madison, take it to KellyMoss Motorsports. That's where I had my Turner kits installed. They did a great job and even without a kit, they are master fabricators and could easily do the work.
Thanks, it's nice to know where good independent shops are!

Active Autowerke says their kit is made of 16 gauge steel, TMS is made of 14 gauge steel. Does anyone know the gauge steel that the body work is? I want to brush up on my welding skills on some appropriate scrap before I do this.

Tags
reinforcement, subframe, template