E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 02:21 PM   #1
rfier

My Ride: 99 BMW 323i E46
car feels like its sliding when i turn quick

So my 323i feels like its almost drifting when i turn quicker than normal BUT
my wheels are not sliding so i think something on my suspension is going / is bad ... what could that be?
What do i need to look into (and please don't say get an m3 because that seems to be everyone response to EVERYTHING!) car has 150k miles and was in a front end collision with minor cosmetic damage to the hood and drivers side fender but the sliding feels like its coming from the back

Not sure if this has anything to do with it but this is another problem i was having
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...8#post12597078

BMW 99 323i e46: EE Halo Lights, Custom Pipe Style CAI, White Corner & Side Lights, Flat Black Grilles, Short Shift Kit, Aluminum Pedals
Coming Soon: H&R Sport Cup Kit, M3 Front Bumper, MTech Rear Bumper, GTR Style Hood, E-bay Headers, Rear LEDs, 18s, Magnaflow Muffler, BMW E46 330i M54 3.0L Engine

Last edited by rfier; 12-21-2010 at 02:22 PM.
rfier is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
xavi330i

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
Toe may be off. May have worn trailing arm bushing.

Last edited by xavi330i; 12-21-2010 at 02:34 PM. Reason: spelled worn: warn
xavi330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
rowdy lee

My Ride: 2000 323ci
well...

Sometimes the rear coil springs will break. That would make it feel very weird.
Check them out.

Raise the front. Grab the tire at 12 and 6 0'clock and try to feel for play when trying to move it. Grab at 3 and 9 and do the same. Check the tie rod ends for looseness also.

The front end... accident. Who put it back together? There is a steering angle sensor which, (along with alignment done), needs to be set correctly so it isn't setting off the stability control and applying brakes when not supposed to.

Both front and rear suspensions have rubber bushings which need to be in good condition. You need to lift it and get under to inspect everything.

Have you looked at the rear floor ("subframe" problem) checking for cracks/tears in the floor sheet metal where the diff carrier bolts up?
Old 12-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
rfier

not sure i bought it after the accident it had a minor accident on the carfax with cosmetic damage when i went to buy it, it had a new bumper new headlights a new fender and a new hood all unpainted except the hood was painted black (im getting a carbon fiber hood soon http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT and getting it painted the same silver as the car except the vents) so i dont know about its history except what the carfax said and i got 2 mechanics take a look at it from top to bottom before i finalized the deal it needed a new differential mount, new motor mounts,
a new coolant hose, new fan shroud, and fan clutch, new breaks, roaters, and sensors and some little things here and there... got it all and all for 4k plus 1k in repairs and parts

BMW 99 323i e46: EE Halo Lights, Custom Pipe Style CAI, White Corner & Side Lights, Flat Black Grilles, Short Shift Kit, Aluminum Pedals
Coming Soon: H&R Sport Cup Kit, M3 Front Bumper, MTech Rear Bumper, GTR Style Hood, E-bay Headers, Rear LEDs, 18s, Magnaflow Muffler, BMW E46 330i M54 3.0L Engine

Last edited by rfier; 12-21-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
G-Hots

My Ride: ///M3 & 328ci & X3
Send a message via AIM to G-Hots Send a message via MSN to G-Hots
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfier View Post
not sure i bought it after the accident it had a minor accident on the carfax with cosmetic damage when i went to buy it, it had a new bumper new headlights a new fender and a new hood all unpainted except the hood was painted black
hmmm so it has a replaced front end and it shows up as cosmetic damage? sounds a little fishy but thats not the point. my car feels like it slides a little too. and i know for a fact my springs need to be replaced.(car sits low on right side about 2 inches and an inch on the left) so the ride is a little unstable. does your ride look a little uneven in the back?
G-Hots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:09 PM   #6
rfier

nope it looks about even on both sides in the front and in the back

Old 12-21-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
G-Hots

My Ride: ///M3 & 328ci & X3
Send a message via AIM to G-Hots Send a message via MSN to G-Hots
im thinking Rear trailing arm bushings then. I know i have to replace mine soon
G-Hots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:53 PM   #8
BeMyWhip

My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
Mine does that too and I have 265/35/zr18's... its the cold weather!
Old 12-21-2010, 07:46 PM   #9
andyman7931

My Ride: e39, e46, e83
with 150k on the clock, it's time for new suspension parts. I'd inspect and replace control arms & bushings, swaybar end links, shocks & springs.
andyman7931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #10
rfier

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman7931 View Post
with 150k on the clock, it's time for new suspension parts. I'd inspect and replace control arms & bushings, swaybar end links, shocks & springs.
Yeah well i already planned on doing the H&R Cup Kit... this just give me an excuse when my wife askes me why i bought parts for my car

Old 12-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #11
xavi330i

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfier View Post
Yeah well i already planned on doing the H&R Cup Kit... this just give me an excuse when my wife askes me why i bought parts for my car
My excuse would have been the Tim Allen grunt.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:39 PM   #12
rfier