E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2003, 12:20 PM   #1
s4play
Banned

My Ride: ML320, 02 M3, 01 S2K
Send a message via AIM to s4play Send a message via Yahoo to s4play
Wanted to know just how difficult it is to separate a flip out LCD from chassis?

I was thinking I already have a Clarion 925 Flip out unit and someone suggested I just remove the LCD portion, flush that and then hide the chassis somewhere.

The way he was talking it sounded like it was EASY or something and I can't imagine it being that easy...haha

Anyone with experience want to comment? What would I be looking at as far as parts go?

Is this a permanent mod once done, it is all or nothing?

thanks,

rick
s4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:34 PM   #2
Ron@Streeteffectz

Yup, that's one way to do it......it would more or less be a permanent mod however as you have to take the gearing and all apart and getting that back together....forget it
Ron@Streeteffectz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 01:26 PM   #3
s4play
Banned

hey ron, so how much would u guys charge to do something like that since I will need to get that screen fiberglassed anyways...

Just thinking of ways to keep my deck up front so I have buttons to control my unit. Not sure if I want to rely on a remote for all my controls like we discussed on the phone.

I was thinking to fiberglass the clarion screen along with a Zapco Pre-amp unit underneath it so I will have full volume and track control from the deck along with on screen graphics.

Still debating this idea or the 8" screen we talked about.

thanks,
rick
Old 04-30-2003, 01:35 PM   #4
drgalleg

My Ride: '02 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to drgalleg Send a message via Yahoo to drgalleg
Re: Wanted to know just how difficult it is to separate a flip out LCD from chassis?

I'm still trying to understand what this would look like, or what its getting you. Isn't the whole idea of paying more for a retractable flipout screen the ability to close it when its not in use? If you're going to remove the LCD, wouldn't it have been easier/cheaper to just buy a separate LCD and DVD unit and mount the LCD somewhere in the dash? (Like some have done w/ that Pioneer)

Could someone post pics of this?

Quote:
Originally posted by s4play
I was thinking I already have a Clarion 925 Flip out unit and someone suggested I just remove the LCD portion, flush that and then hide the chassis somewhere.

The way he was talking it sounded like it was EASY or something and I can't imagine it being that easy...haha

Anyone with experience want to comment? What would I be looking at as far as parts go?

Is this a permanent mod once done, it is all or nothing?

thanks,

rick
drgalleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 02:37 PM   #5
s4play
Banned

okay guys...here is a few drawbacks to flip out units:

1) no matter where you want to put it, it can only fit in one realistic place (stock radio location due to depth concerns) thus it will block the vents when opened.

2) Motors may breakdown over time....

I want to use the clarion and disassemble it because it has touchscreen 7" capability and can be a source unit. It also has track control on the screen.

With the Pioneer system which I'm also considering, there is no track control thus I have to rely on my remote to do all the controls. Also there is no in-dash CD slot thus only the changer is useable as a source input.

late,
rik
Old 04-30-2003, 02:54 PM   #6
advan24r
Banned

My Ride: 2002 LSB M3 6-spd
Send a message via ICQ to advan24r Send a message via AIM to advan24r
thought u sold the deck and everything with it?
advan24r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 03:41 PM   #7
s4play
Banned

Deck is gone....

would basically buy another one buy if I go this route Q

rk
Old 04-30-2003, 04:30 PM   #8
advan24r
Banned

My Ride: 2002 LSB M3 6-spd
Send a message via ICQ to advan24r Send a message via AIM to advan24r
You know pioneer now makes a new touch screen one. The down fall is it's 6.5 inches. You should do what shawn kemp did in his suv...put a 10" in. I think it's in the CAR AUDIO mag.
advan24r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 04:03 AM   #9
s4play
Banned

nah Clarion is PERFECT!

7" touchscreen with mp3 and DVD capability plus it has on-screen track control.

will let you know how this experiment goes...

I know once the deck is opened, there goes the warranty

rk
Old 05-01-2003, 05:07 PM   #10
Delirium
yo mama

My Ride: -
If you like it so much, why not just keep it as is until it breaks & then deal with it.
Delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 07:01 PM   #11
DaveM3Blue

My Ride: 02 M3
You should take a look at the new Pioneer touch screen. That is what I am going to get, and Ron is going to take it apart and fiberglass it.

See
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...threadid=80267

DaveM3Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 12:41 AM   #12
s4play
Banned

yo Dave....I see what you are saying...

You are doing exactly what I was dreaming too but I highly recommend you go with the Clarion to take apart instead.

The pioneer 6.5" is too small for a flip out unit. Plus that is not their top of the line deck.

The clarion starts out with a 7" unit, has convenient track fucntions built into the monitor plus an excellent touch screen display.

Only downfall you will find with this system as in any is that ONCE you take the screen and deck apart, all warranty is void, thus if the unit ever fails down the road, you will be screwed!

That is why I have decided against this method...

late
rick
Old 05-06-2003, 12:36 PM   #13
amitv85
ROI-ndian

My Ride: is oOoOoUT
Send a message via AIM to amitv85
the 2 shops i go to for sound stuff cna do this, but this is in NY...one i wont suggest bc they are effin me around to finish my work

those interested in ny area hit me pm...but otherwise hit up street effectz they do sick work

Dave Moss: What's your name?
Blake: F**k you. That's my name.
Blake: You know why, mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight, I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. *That's* my name
amitv85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 02:21 PM   #14
John from jersey
Creation awaits

My Ride: Gallardo, CLS55
there is an easier approach to this Rick...hit me up
John from jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 12:37 AM   #15
ludicraze330

My Ride: '02 Steel Grey 330Ci
I'm interested in taking the Pioneer touchscreen apart and custom mounting it also, but have been unable to find anywhere in Houston willing to do it. Anyone got any suggestions?
ludicraze330 is offline   Reply With Quote