E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
anthonyjrc

My Ride: 330 Ci
Xi retrofit to Ci

Hey guys,

Before I begin, I live in the UK so buying an Xi isnt an option. I have recently moved to a small country village and have run into an issue, the snow is causing a real issue, I have snow tires but it needs the extra grip. I understand the gravity of this and have plenty of experience rebuilding cars so i'm happy to have this as a project even if there isnt a massive gain.

so what i need to know is:
DSC is this going to be a real show stopper?
will a Ci rear diff be okay with the Xi drivetrain?
and finnaly what do I need and what can I keep?

X5 parts are easy to get hold so if there is anything interchangable it would be good, mainly thinking about gearbox and transfer box here.

Parts list i think is as follows:
Gearbox?
transfer box
shorter Xi rear propshaft
front propshaft
330Xi oil pan
330Xi engine mounts
both front driveshafts
front differential
font stuts
front hubs
front control arms

If anyone has any ideas or has attempted this before let me know. At this stage I am just working out is this is financially viable as all parts that cannot be sourced from the X5 (if any) will need to come from the other side of the pond! my budget is probably around 1-2K i think

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
MINIz guy

My Ride: bro truck
XI's have a different transmission tunnel and floorpan. Good luck trying to fit a transfercase into your coupe's layout.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
It's not going to happen for a couple thousand quid.

You'd need a whole front subframe and would have to modify the floor to get things to fit, for starters.

What kind of snow tires do you have? Are you sure they aren't all-season tires? Buy some studded Nokian Hakkapeliittas and I personally guarantee you will be able to drive anywhere in Buckinghamshire in your ci all winter.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
White_Knuckles

Don't know how or if they tax you for multiple vehicles but you could pick up a 4-wheel drive, beater with a heater for under 2K. Park that coupe for the season and hit the roads in your Mad Max snow shredder. If you crash and burn or she croaks, pull the plates and the VIN and leave her where she sits. That would be the yankee solution to this.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
anthonyjrc

Damn! didn't know the floor plans were different thats a real spanner in the works! knew about the subframe...just forgot it off the list. Not sure exactly about the tyres, there nankangs of some discription. unfortunaltely a second car is a no go as i have no where to store it.

Is the issue with the floor getting the transfer box to fit or more than that?

Cheers for the replies. Ant
Old 12-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #6
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyjrc View Post
nankangs
There's your problem right there.

End of story.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:44 AM   #7
GCoop

My Ride: '04 325xi
Chaeper to have one shipped to your door than trying to cobble one up.
GCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:39 AM   #8
anthonyjrc

Ok so i have been looking at the floor pan differences and i'm not sure its 100% ruled it out, either a big sledge hammer or a bit of a cut and weld may get it to fit, the subframe and transfer box mounting I dont think would be too bad to fabricate up. But, I just read that the x drive isnt static distribution, apparently its only 38-62 since that what the software defaults to and the DSC has the ability to then alter this from 50:50 to 0:100 this is now the biggest issue since electrics aren't a particular strength of mine! if it defaults to one of the extreems when unplugged i'm either going to render the whole process pointless and it still be RWD or ruin the handling with a 50:50 split. anybody able to shed any light on this?

Also, dont worry guys, I obviously wasn't clear, I love an interesting project, so this is more to do with doing something diffent to my car as it is a performance benefit. I will have a look into better snow tyres but the Nokians are coming in at £1000 a set!

As for importing a car that is definately not an option, saloon,LHD Tax insurance ect. plus I have done so much work to my car already I dont want to exchange it.

Ant
Old 12-22-2010, 11:15 AM   #9
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
You are confusing x drive with xi, the xi has no ability to alter torque/power split. It is ALWAYS 68 back 32 front no matter what. I really think you are under estimating the amount of work and fabrication is needed to make this happen especially in going from a RWD coupe, which was never offered in xi, to AWD. And "a big hammer" is not going to solve the problem. If you want an xi, buy a new car. It will be substantially cheaper than what you are looking to do. Heck, even new tires will be substantially cheaper than swapping an xi drive train into a coupe. Not to mention that, in USD, the parts you're looking at are WAY over $2000. Probably more in the $5k to $6k range. So with that said, I will leave you with this.

SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #10
colo330xi

My Ride: 01 330xi
I think you'll also run into issues as the DSC system is different on Xi models.

The engine carrier/front subframe is entirely different, I'm not sure it'll bolt up to a RWD body.

Also the Xi was never sold as a RHD model, again I'm going to assume there would be issues with the steering rack/suspension that precluded this.

All in all OP, it seems like a major hassle for pretty minimal gains. I've lived in a snowy part of the US my whole life, and the Xi is my first 4wd car. I managed just fine with RWD and snow tires for the better part of 10 years.

I'm not sure that they are sold branded as such in the UK, but I have a set of General Altimax arctic tires fitted. Loads cheaper than nokians, made in germany by continental, so definitely not junk. Their performance on hard packed snow/ice is better than any other tire I've used.
colo330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #11
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
You are confusing x drive with xi, the xi has no ability to alter torque/power split. It is ALWAYS 68 back 32 front no matter what.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that understands this anymore!

It's the best part about the xi AWD system.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:42 AM   #12
feddomw

My Ride: 325xi Touring
Why can't you get an xi?

They were available in mainland EU. I just bought a 325xi Touring. 2001, 100,000mi, sport seats, xenon, nav, the whole nine yards. Cost GBP4500.

You can drive it home yourself from anywhere in the EU, and there is no problem with VAT or the likes, as you do not need to pay that.

And the best part, you can have all the "fun" you are looking to have by switching the car from LHD to RHD! And it will be easier and cheaper than the Xi retrofit.

Last edited by feddomw; 12-23-2010 at 03:56 AM.
feddomw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:53 AM   #13
anthonyjrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
You are confusing x drive with xi, the xi has no ability to alter torque/power split. It is ALWAYS 68 back 32 front no matter what. I really think you are under estimating the amount of work and fabrication is needed to make this happen especially in going from a RWD coupe, which was never offered in xi, to AWD. And "a big hammer" is not going to solve the problem. If you want an xi, buy a new car. It will be substantially cheaper than what you are looking to do. Heck, even new tires will be substantially cheaper than swapping an xi drive train into a coupe. Not to mention that, in USD, the parts you're looking at are WAY over $2000. Probably more in the $5k to $6k range. So with that said, I will leave you with this.

Ok I thought the Xi used the X-Drive system thats good. as for underestimating the work i'm really not, i'm fully aware that fabrication will be needed and it will not simply 'bolt up'.

I'm not going to list what i've done but cutting stuff up, welding it and fabrication doesn't particularly worry me. If this does go ahead I will be buying a replacement car for probably 6 months while I work on it.

I have no intention of buying the parts new and have found someone selling for $1500 individually so should get a bit off if I buy everything so as long as shipping isn't too crazy it should be on my doorstep for under £2000

The DSC would be an issue I think but I normally turn it off when I drive so just as long as it doesn;t put me in limp home mode or something like that i'm not too bothered. the steering rack is the same casing from what I can tell its just got less travel due to the front CV joints so I dont think there will be any big issues with that.

Ant
Old 12-27-2010, 02:18 PM   #14
olinjohnston

My Ride: Dakar 330Xi + ESS TS
Send a message via AIM to olinjohnston
Nearly nothing from an X5's AWD system will work in an e46 coupe. The transfer case on an X5 is chain-driven, whereas an e46 uses a gear-driven one due to size constraints. Even still, it bulges through the floor as it is. You are totally wasting your time even considering this.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #15
Black Stig

My Ride: 325Xi
That is alot of work that might not even pay off. Go for a winter beater, old Audi or something. Or studded Nokians, those swedes can make some tires. OR build a sled and capture all of the neighborhood dogs.
Black Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:10 PM   #16
bigdog2003_99

My Ride: 2009 Audi B8
the actual transmission tunnel is noticeably wider on an xi also, already though of trying to swap an awd setup for a winter coupe

R.I.P. John Bryan
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/J...yan_186423.htm
bigdog2003_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:05 AM   #17
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
would be a fun project but not practical financially. you are way better off spending teh 1000 quid for snow tires

and wtf i thought snow tires were cheaper than all seasons?

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote