E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
Strut / shock / spring replacement, I give up...damn you!

[rant]

I tried replacing my springs and shocks today...and failed.

First

I took out the front strut, after I realized the sway bar end link was not OEM and I needed a wrench and a torx to remove it.

Then

The damn strut wouldn't come out of the brake/rotor assembly.

Then

The damn spring compressors weren't able to get all the coils.

Then

I couldn't get the top strut nut off trying to use a spark plug socket, wrench and a 6mm allen wrench.

Then

I broke the 6mm wrench I was using for leverage to hold the 6mm allen wrench.

Then

I went to Sears looking for a allen socket with a super long allen part

Then

The retard sales clerk convinced my a allen wrench with a big handle grip would work.

Then

It didnt work.

Then

I realized the BMW strut design is

Then

I put the original stuff back.

Now

I am complaining about it.

Tomorrow

I will pay a mechanic to do it for me.

And...

FML.

[/rant]

Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
tootall

My Ride: 2011 328iT 3 pedals
The shade tree mechanic must eventually know his/her limits.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:33 PM   #3
Dreamliner330

^I've done it in other cars without incident...It's not like I was out there with sticks and rocks...
Old 11-28-2010, 10:08 PM   #4
Recon2005

My Ride: VF-E 328Ci & 325 E90
Spring compressors are from Hell!!! Spent 3 hours wrestling with those pieces of garbage because I thought I was slick. I finished the driver side but gave up on the passenger side and let Pepboys take care of swapping the spring for me. I feel your pain.

Vortech // Magnaflow // Hotchkis // H&R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcefed M3 View Post
Could not agree more. I enjoyed my vf kit to the day I took it off. VF best s/c out there. Period
Recon2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
Dreamliner330

meh, $450 to have the work done for me...could have been worse.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
DangerousMind

My Ride: Sierra 1500 SLT
I just give myself a bunch of space and use an impact gun on the upper strut nut. Lay it on the ground with an unmounted tire at the bottom and let it rip. Lowering springs go on like butter compared to oe.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:27 PM   #7
h4nh

My Ride: 05' 325i
Its not so bad after you do it a few times. First time sucks because you're figuring it all out and just get the job done. But 2-3 times you will be able to get it done fast.
h4nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:54 PM   #8
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
I'e done it a few times. Did you mke sure to pull your xenon sensor out? It can prevent movement of the control arm. You didn't have the jackstand under the control arm, did you? It is a PITA

Tips:

1) Spray WD-40 on the clamp that the strut housing slides into on the control arm at least an hour before trying to pull the struts.

2) BMW springs are very difficult to compress with home compressors; replace rear shocks, but just remove the front struts. Take it to a shop to swap the springs on machine compressors, it doesn't cost much. Then, DIY reinstall.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:58 PM   #9
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousMind View Post
I just give myself a bunch of space and use an impact gun on the upper strut nut. Lay it on the ground with an unmounted tire at the bottom and let it rip. Lowering springs go on like butter compared to oe.
I was going to suggest this, I have done it but usually wrap it in a blanket first then stuff doesn't go flying everywhere.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:27 PM   #10
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
You just have to man up and twist that strut out of the front knuckle. Pull the wheels and the next thing you do is spray penetrating lube down the shaft (that's what she said) of the strut into the knuckle.

Wall mounted spring compressor FTW! It saves time over focking with the crap tool you get from auto zone.

I would have sawed that swaylink in half if I coudn't get it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nh View Post
Its not so bad after you do it a few times. First time sucks because you're figuring it all out and just get the job done. But 2-3 times you will be able to get it done fast.
I just tried your theory with my clutch replacement...and I hate your theory. Although it turned out to be true.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote