E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #61
BeMyWhip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Big Apple USA
Posts: 3,542
My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpass View Post
This thread, while highly amusing, does bring up an interesting point. No one seems to argue that K&N let in more particulate matter, but there seems to be no evidence that the increased dirt effects engine life. This is what I would be interested in knowing.
Lets talk filters. Thank you dead pass for getting the thread back where it should be; The K&N will NOT prematurely kill or damage your engine! period! All the opposition was without merit or more importantly... proof. The proof is in the everyday use amoung millions of users with no ill effects. The "real" world is where you make decisions. you can argue anything in the lab or on paper... even broccoli can be shown to be a carcinogenic, but do we stop eating it? no, because we weigh the pro and cons and go forward. K&N much better than stock.
__________________
Always Mod!!!
Founder: 330Ci The 3 litre coupe
BeMyWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 05:23 PM   #62
sharpx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 542
My Ride: E60
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMyWhip View Post
... K&N much better than stock.
Considering what factors, ie. extra cost vs added hp? Please elaborate.
sharpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:26 PM   #63
sprintman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Posts: 3,947
My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
And now I know why Krap & Nasty are so successful, there are mywhippingboys everywhere. Your the kind of BMW owner that uses M1 5W30 and doesn't understand why it doesn't meet spec. Some people just
shouldn't be allowed out, let alone drive a BMW.
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:47 PM   #64
mjdx88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 21
My Ride: 2001 330ci
Great post guys! Keep up the great work fighting over nothing. OP, stick with OEM the appeal of using a filter that can be reused is nice but like another poster stated you will never get it as clean as it was new. Also that includes the time you need to remove, clean, dry and replace the filter.

If you are looking for a performance increase well, none of these will do anything....the performance intakes give you at best 5-10 added hp, with the upgraded air filter gives you 1hp if your lucky and its a cold day.
mjdx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:51 PM   #65
TrickTizzle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Minneapolis/Milwaukee
Posts: 3,111
My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman View Post
And now I know why Krap & Nasty are so successful, there are mywhippingboys everywhere. Your the kind of BMW owner that uses M1 5W30 and doesn't understand why it doesn't meet spec. Some people just
shouldn't be allowed out, let alone drive a BMW.
Why is Mobil1 bad for the car?
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:54 PM   #66
GoingNuts
Just Nuts
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London
Posts: 7,253
My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTizzle View Post
Why is Mobil1 bad for the car?
BMW doesn't recommend it.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:58 PM   #67
deadpass
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: phoenix, az
Posts: 1,650
My Ride: 01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTizzle View Post
Why is Mobil1 bad for the car?
not all M1, but the 5w30 doesn't meet BMW's oil standards. I believe the M1 0w40 euro blend is the only mobil 1 that does.
__________________
deadpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:00 PM   #68
TrickTizzle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Minneapolis/Milwaukee
Posts: 3,111
My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
BMW doesn't recommend it.
BMW also doesn't recommend K&N filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpass View Post
not all M1, but the 5w30 doesn't meet BMW's oil standards. I believe the M1 0w40 euro blend is the only mobil 1 that does.
Alright thanks!
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:09 PM   #69
pez319
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 83
My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i TiAg
If reusable filters are so much better don't you think car companies would include them as a factory option. Yes theoretically it should provide more air flow at high rpm, but most peoples driving is below 5k rpm where a reusable filter would provide no real difference. CAIs are a joke unless you wrap the entire tube with heat reflective tape.
pez319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:17 PM   #70
Penguin Koolaid
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chitown
Posts: 6,701
My Ride: Inline Six
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman View Post
mywhippingboy Krap & Nasty specifically target the dumb like you, as we can see thay have been very successful. And as you missed it the first time here it is again. There are filters available that filter better, flow more air, better built, look better, use no oil, U.S made, and cheaper. Please show us any data you have on why we should select the Krap & Nasty?
You're the person claiming K&N is crap... and you want us to do the research to prove you're right? Get off your lazy ass, and put your money where your mouth is.

As I said before... 7+ years on the same K&N filter with ZERO problems. What experience do you have with their filters?
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:19 PM   #71
Penguin Koolaid
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chitown
Posts: 6,701
My Ride: Inline Six
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTizzle View Post
Why is Mobil1 bad for the car?
People assume that since BMW recommends European Castrol Synthetic 5w30 that Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w30 is a suitable substitute. Unfortunately, the latter does not meet the same spec requirements, and therefore is not a good choice.

Mobil 1 0w40 on the other hand meets all spec requirements. I've used it for years on my 330i and love it.
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:23 PM   #72
GoingNuts
Just Nuts
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London
Posts: 7,253
My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
7+ years on the same K&N filter with ZERO problems.
Thanks for the testimony. We can now safely declare internet bob and his little circus are wrong.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:39 AM   #73
GoingNuts
Just Nuts
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London
Posts: 7,253
My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Out of hundred or thousands of UOA's, not a single engine was blown. I don't think they are worth bothering with.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:37 AM   #74
GoingNuts
Just Nuts
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London
Posts: 7,253
My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman View Post
Haven't read them how would you know.
I deduce all I need to know from psycho-analysis. Basically you are too defensive, to the point of very quickly resorting to personal attacks and calling names, any 'fact' you claim cannot be reliable. In any case, why are you so desperate for people to go for UOA's ? Are you on commission or something ?

Another thing that puzzles me. I pressume you are in Australia, and you are not an american ? So what are all these plugs for american products for ? You keep implying somehow american made goods are better. Perhaps they are, perhaps they are not, why do you seem to have a vested interest in them ? If american goods are so great, why then the contradiction of driving a german car ?

Last edited by GoingNuts; 12-27-2010 at 04:14 AM.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:04 AM   #75
dmax
Registered User
 
dmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 22,855
My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Oh, boy.

Not one engine blown up from using KnN...so that's 'proof' they're fine? Sprint's evidence was a higher level of silicon in used oil...so an increased abrasive added to clean things up inside, like scrubbing with Comet cleanser. Although on the one hand, I like the thought of it being scrubbed clean, I don't like the thought of metal parts being sanded down--literally and literally.

I'm sure it's a very slight difference in wear, but I'm sure it's a difference in wear nonetheless...sorry KnN users...especially those of you that I've always liked!

Me? I want to use methods and materials that give me the best chance of keeping engine as long as I possibly can.

OP, aren't you glad you asked?

Doug
__________________


Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:13 AM   #76
shortyb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Now in beautiful Simpsonville SC
Posts: 1,659
My Ride: Has blue lights
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Oh, boy.

Not one engine blown up from using KnN...so that's 'proof' they're fine? Sprint's evidence was a higher level of silicon in used oil...so an increased abrasive added to clean things up inside, like scrubbing with Comet cleanser. Although on the one hand, I like the thought of it being scrubbed clean, I don't like the thought of metal parts being sanded down--literally and literally.

I'm sure it's a very slight difference in wear, but I'm sure it's a difference in wear nonetheless...sorry KnN users...especially those of you that I've always liked!

Me? I want to use methods and materials that give me the best chance of keeping engine as long as I possibly can.

OP, aren't you glad you asked?

Doug

Doug gets the point as most reading this thread probably have too. Sadly, GN's only qualitative standard that something is "bad" is the engine blows up. I guess that would certainly make things black and white, but most of the discussions like this one revolve around nuances. Someone mentioned the weighing of pros and cons, this is what it will boil down to. I personally don't like the fact that "performance" filters let in more dirt along with the increased airflow. I know this causes wear (however slight) and again, I don't like it. But.......if someone else likes the sound/(perceived)performance/reuse capability/name brand/color/shape of the box it came in, and doesn't mind, or is not concerned with, the disadvantages, then have at it.

This, like any of the other topics of "discussion" (like oil) are best resolved by education. I for one don't believe everything I read/hear in one place so I look around and ask people and read reasearch papers and books. Lots of information out there besides here at E46.

Last edited by shortyb; 12-27-2010 at 09:17 AM.
shortyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:52 AM   #77
DBrown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 245
My Ride: BMW 325 Ci
I created this thread because I wanted to see if anyone had any complaints about k & n filters and I haven't heard any. Anyone who has a k & n filter loves it and has no problems. This whole thread is full of arguments about statistics that someone else has claimed. According to that logic then you all should be driving the most fuel efficient, safest, comfortable, highest rated car, therefore with that logic, you should all be driving a Toyota camry (I highly doubt you are!). I was already leaning towards a k & n filter because I loved it in my truck and it didn't screw up the MAF until 60 000 km later. I have cleaned my motorcycle air filters for years without any affect on the engine, a properly cleaned filter is just as good. My usual oil place wants 50$ for every new filter and it's 75$ for a k & n I think I'm going to go with the k & n filter.
DBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #78
Levim9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central PA
Posts: 2,034
My Ride: S54 325i
What kind of air filter was the oil place going to provide? I really hope they weren't charging $50 for a stock filter. Those are like $15-20 shipped. The K&N is good though. I've had one on my car before and plenty of friends cars and no problems.
__________________
Levim9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:05 PM   #79
sprintman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Posts: 3,947
My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
dbrown UOA's are not statistics they are tests that dirt (SI) levels in oil amongst many other things and Krap & Nasty 'filtered' engines are always the worst. You can buy much better filters for less money, seriously what part of that don't you understand?
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #80
GoingNuts
Just Nuts
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London
Posts: 7,253
My Ride: 2004 330Ci
There is no evidence dirt is bad for the engine. I think we have now established a base line that dirt does not cause the engine to blow up. Nor is there evidence dirt causes oil consumption. So the next question is: does dirt causes anything at all ? My guess is that no it doesn't. Engine oils are specifically designed to absorb dirt and then be carried to the filter to be cleansed. So even though k&n might let in more dirt, the effect on the engine is neglegible.

Dirt mongering by internet bob and his clowns are unjustified.

Last edited by GoingNuts; 12-27-2010 at 04:24 PM.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
air, filter, intake, k & n, mass air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use