E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 04:26 PM   #81
BeMyWhip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Big Apple USA
Posts: 3,528
My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrown View Post
I created this thread because I wanted to see if anyone had any complaints about k & n filters and I haven't heard any. Anyone who has a k & n filter loves it and has no problems. This whole thread is full of arguments about statistics that someone else has claimed. According to that logic then you all should be driving the most fuel efficient, safest, comfortable, highest rated car, therefore with that logic, you should all be driving a Toyota camry (I highly doubt you are!). I was already leaning towards a k & n filter because I loved it in my truck and it didn't screw up the MAF until 60 000 km later. I have cleaned my motorcycle air filters for years without any affect on the engine, a properly cleaned filter is just as good. My usual oil place wants 50$ for every new filter and it's 75$ for a k & n I think I'm going to go with the k & n filter.
Good for you, and the sound of the K&N is AWESOME on my 330Ci with headers; even at idle you can hear the rumble. Just ingnore the trolls here; obviously they provide no prove against the K&N other than their word of month, and we all know trolls words are meaning and hold no value. I, along with others here have had the K&N for years on many different cars, including 6 years on my current 2004 MDX and about 2 years on my 330Ci.. it was one of my first mods and I love it. you can check my profile album for pics.
__________________
Always Mod!!!
Founder: 330Ci The 3 litre coupe
BeMyWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #82
BeMyWhip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Big Apple USA
Posts: 3,528
My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
I deduce all I need to know from psycho-analysis. Basically you are too defensive, to the point of very quickly resorting to personal attacks and calling names, any 'fact' you claim cannot be reliable. In any case, why are you so desperate for people to go for UOA's ? Are you on commission or something ?

Another thing that puzzles me. I pressume you are in Australia, and you are not an american ? So what are all these plugs for american products for ? You keep implying somehow american made goods are better. Perhaps they are, perhaps they are not, why do you seem to have a vested interest in them ? If american goods are so great, why then the contradiction of driving a german car ?
+1 ... I was thinking that but didnt want to waste my time on this loser anymore. Its obvious he has a vested interest, and that he is
__________________
Always Mod!!!
Founder: 330Ci The 3 litre coupe
BeMyWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:06 PM   #83
BeMyWhip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Big Apple USA
Posts: 3,528
My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMyWhip View Post
Good for you, and the sound of the K&N is AWESOME on my 330Ci with headers; even at idle you can hear the rumble. Just ingnore the trolls here; obviously they provide no prove against the K&N other than their word of month, and we all know trolls words are meaning and hold no value. I, along with others here have had the K&N for years on many different cars, including 6 years on my current 2004 MDX and about 2 years on my 330Ci.. it was one of my first mods and I love it. you can check my profile album for pics.
Here I got the pic for you, its my homemade CAI, but im about to do something diff, but still use this K&N filter:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K&N CAI.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	387986  
__________________
Always Mod!!!
Founder: 330Ci The 3 litre coupe
BeMyWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:06 PM   #84
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.
 
Solidjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 21,831
My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMyWhip View Post
Here I got the pic for you, its my homemade CAI, but im about to do something diff, but still use this K&N filter:
So what's with that dirt at the top of the filter?
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:45 PM   #85
welcher330xi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 95
My Ride: 2001 330xi
Looks like a burn.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODEHBOY View Post
why are u holding ur camera like a douche?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attaus View Post
Twice as much profit? Yeah, maybe in Canadian dollars.
welcher330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #86
Penguin Koolaid
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chitown
Posts: 6,701
My Ride: Inline Six
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
So what's with that dirt at the top of the filter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by welcher330xi View Post
Looks like a burn.
Hard to tell from the angle, but it might simply be the filter rubbing against the lining of the hood, which is black. That might explain it.
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:52 PM   #87
djlinux64
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bethesda
Posts: 281
My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i 5sp
Wix and Purolator have excellent Beta ratios; I highly suggest looking at those if you actually care about filtration over bulk airflow.

Before you complain, here is the tek

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...er-beta-ratios

Also I don't give a flying fuQ about people that use K&N filters and you shouldn't either. It's always going to be a trade-off. With low betas you are going to get a few horsepower now and more internal engine scuffing as time progresses. Most people could not care less, as they sell, trash, or crash the car in the time that is required to notice the additional wear. Hell, I knew a guy with a '62 Chevy pick up and he didn't use ANY air filter for the last 10 years but the damn thing somehow still runs.

Use whatever, and have fun. You all have brain cells; you all can decide whether the trade-off is worth it.

PEACE.
__________________

Last edited by djlinux64; 12-28-2010 at 03:58 PM.
djlinux64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:05 PM   #88
sprintman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Posts: 3,845
My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
"most people could not care less". Correct and Krap & Nasty successfully empty another persons wallet. Obviously some people have more money than sense. I work hard for my money, and spend it a little more wisely, as do the rest of the people in our BMW club..
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #89
jeffro3000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 2,812
My Ride: 2000 328i
This thread...
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:21 PM   #90
dmax
Registered User
 
dmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 22,657
My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by djlinux64 View Post
Wix and Purolator have excellent Beta ratios; I highly suggest looking at those if you actually care about filtration over bulk airflow.

Before you complain, here is the tek

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...er-beta-ratios

Also I don't give a flying fuQ about people that use K&N filters and you shouldn't either. It's always going to be a trade-off. With low betas you are going to get a few horsepower now and more internal engine scuffing as time progresses. Most people could not care less, as they sell, trash, or crash the car in the time that is required to notice the additional wear. Hell, I knew a guy with a '62 Chevy pick up and he didn't use ANY air filter for the last 10 years but the damn thing somehow still runs.

Use whatever, and have fun. You all have brain cells; you all can decide whether the trade-off is worth it.

PEACE.
So, that was the point of all Sprint had been saying all along...people need to be informed is all...and not just rely on the "I had one for 5 years and all's good" type of 'proof.'

Agreed, some don't care whether the car last 10 or 30 years, coz it'll be gone in 5 anyway. Me? I always just naturally assume that since our cars are so great, that anyone with one would just want to keep it forever...and I think much of the advice offered here is based on the assumption that an owner would want to always do the best by their car.

When PK and Whip's cars are 20 years old and burning oil like no tomorrow...but suspect they'll be in different 3's by then.
__________________


dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:38 PM   #91
sprintman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Posts: 3,845
My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
It appears not many think like we do. Marketing wins again, as it always does.
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:28 PM   #92
BeMyWhip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Big Apple USA
Posts: 3,528
My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
So, that was the point of all Sprint had been saying all along...people need to be informed is all...and not just rely on the "I had one for 5 years and all's good" type of 'proof.'

Agreed, some don't care whether the car last 10 or 30 years, coz it'll be gone in 5 anyway. Me? I always just naturally assume that since our cars are so great, that anyone with one would just want to keep it forever...and I think much of the advice offered here is based on the assumption that an owner would want to always do the best by their car.

When PK and Whip's cars are 20 years old and burning oil like no tomorrow...but suspect they'll be in different 3's by then.
I do love my E46, but never really think about if I will keep it very long term or not. Preferably I will, but in life there are always variables. But in anycase, I still fail to see any proof presented here which show a direct link to K&N causing engine damage or worse engine failure. UOA's may have merit, BUT ONLY if you test 2 similarly equiped cars (example two 2005 330ci's), with everything being equal driving style, climate, milage, octane used, maintenance, etc. And you ONLY change ONE variable... the airfilter, then you can attribute the UOA readings to the filter! This is in a perfect world, otherwise, your just guessing what the "higher causes of silicone" in the oil really are attributed to. In short, produce the evidence, or state your posts as opinions as penquin koolaid, going nuts, or myself have; not unprovable "facts"
__________________
Always Mod!!!
Founder: 330Ci The 3 litre coupe
BeMyWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:37 PM   #93
sprintman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Posts: 3,845
My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
High SI readings are a failure of the filtration system in any UOA. 9 times out of 10, if you see high SI, you can almost guarantee they are using a Krap & Nasty. Add in the initial expense and the ongoing maintenance and the technically aware know there are far better solutions. It's like putting M1
5W30 in your non-M E46, most owners know it doesn't come close to meeting spec (to thin and HTHS way to low), but some are just oblivious. Takes all kinds I guess?
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:43 PM   #94
BeMyWhip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Big Apple USA
Posts: 3,528
My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
I can appreciate your "opinion", but I really value facts backed by studies. Still none, but I didnt really expect one to be produced.
__________________
Always Mod!!!
Founder: 330Ci The 3 litre coupe
BeMyWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:44 PM   #95
BeMyWhip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Big Apple USA
Posts: 3,528
My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
Is proof too much to ask for ???
__________________
Always Mod!!!
Founder: 330Ci The 3 litre coupe
BeMyWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:48 PM   #96
sprintman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Posts: 3,845
My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
I can post as many UOA's as you want, will you know how to read them? Krap & Nasty 'filters', and I use the term loosely, have had a poor reputation for many years on most technically aware automotive forums. Have a think about what they were designed for?
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:59 PM   #97
BeMyWhip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Big Apple USA
Posts: 3,528
My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
post 'em up, Im a middle school grad I bet I can do something with them.
__________________
Always Mod!!!
Founder: 330Ci The 3 litre coupe
BeMyWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:07 PM   #98
MntnTwisties
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: S.Central PA
Posts: 207
My Ride: 04 325i
If bmw oem intake is the best it can be why did they come out wit the bmw performance intake? Just a real question is it different in some other way. Do you all think it is a valid upgrade or just a audible upgrade? Ive been considering one but if its just a noise maker i think ill put my 300 into the headers instead. Thnx.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
MntnTwisties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:13 PM   #99
sprintman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Posts: 3,845
My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Here's a link to a few. othersw here can also provide links i'm sure? I'm at work and they monitor i'net so this is it for a while.

There are a lot, if you don't understand the results there are many here who can help like ShortyB etc. Look at SI levels for a start.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Board=3&page=1
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:13 PM   #100
BeMyWhip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Big Apple USA
Posts: 3,528
My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by MntnTwisties View Post
If bmw oem intake is the best it can be why did they come out wit the bmw performance intake? Just a real question is it different in some other way. Do you all think it is a valid upgrade or just a audible upgrade? Ive been considering one but if its just a noise maker i think ill put my 300 into the headers instead. Thnx.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
I believe the Aftermarket filter work much better in conjunction with headers. If I had to pick one mod it would be the headers hands down; also, the reason BMW make the stock filter the way it is, is because they have satisfy other criteria such as low decibal, economical, keep cost down, etc. so yeas, an aftermarket performance minded filter is "worth" it!
__________________
Always Mod!!!
Founder: 330Ci The 3 litre coupe
BeMyWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
air, filter, intake, k & n, mass air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use