E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
Spatola

My Ride: None
Will the M3 loose power with more miles put in?

I know, it's a dumb question. I'm looking to buy one, brand new to these. I found 2 M3's, one (2002) with 47k miles, for $21,900. Then, a 2003.5 with 72,000 miles for $19,900. We've taken a look at the 2002, which was immaculate. We're going to take a look at the 2003.5 in a couple of days.

Anyway, for some reason, I get this feeling that with more miles, the car will not run as well, and not have as much power. I know, it's stupid.

Which one is the better option? (Assuming that they've both been well taken care of.)

UPDATE: I e-mailed about the 2002 price: He said if I was still interested, he'd bring it down to $19.950.

Thanks

Last edited by Spatola; 07-23-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Spatola is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
04cbM3

My Ride: M3
As long as the maintenance is done there won't be a noticeable difference in power.
04cbM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:04 AM   #3
j_block

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatola View Post
I know, it's a dumb question. I'm looking to buy one, brand new to these. I found 2 M3's, one (2002) with 47k miles, for $21,900. Then, a 2003.5 with 72,000 miles for $19,900. We've taken a look at the 2002, which was immaculate. We're going to take a look at the 2003.5 in a couple of days.

Anyway, for some reason, I get this feeling that with more miles, the car will not run as well, and not have as much power. I know, it's stupid.

Which one is the better option? (Assuming that they've both been well taken care of.)

Thanks
Which is a better option? Don't know. Depends on other things they have. Mileage really doesn't matter as long as PM is done

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer App
Old 07-22-2012, 01:27 AM   #4
Spatola

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_block View Post
Which is a better option? Don't know. Depends on other things they have. Mileage really doesn't matter as long as PM is done

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer App
I'm pretty sure the only thing the 2003.5 doesn't have is NAV. (I don't NEED NAVV, however, it's a plus,) Then again, the 3.5 had the LED's, (which are a nice addition,) and, the car is just newer, however, MORE MILES is my concern. I guess I'll really see how this person has taken care of it after a test drive and a look.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:27 AM   #5
intelone

My Ride: e46 M3
The thing with the 2003.5 is that you can have it coded so it have the M-track mode like the ZCPs because of their dsc modules are the same. Way more fun when the dsc doesn't kick in sooner. The LED tails is also a plus. Nav, I can care less driving around town. Out of town, that's what smart phones are for. Plus the stereo is the first things I gut first when I get a car. Get a ppi done and a compression check. Split the cost between you and the seller and call it a day. It use to be that older cars have more power because of carbon build up, which increases the compression ratio, in turns made more power. My M is at 170k and I don't feel any loss of power, if there were like you suggested, then I'd have the same hp as a civic.

intelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
Spatola

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by intelone View Post
The thing with the 2003.5 is that you can have it coded so it have the M-track mode like the ZCPs because of their dsc modules are the same. Way more fun when the dsc doesn't kick in sooner. The LED tails is also a plus. Nav, I can care less driving around town. Out of town, that's what smart phones are for. Plus the stereo is the first things I gut first when I get a car. Get a ppi done and a compression check. Split the cost between you and the seller and call it a day. It use to be that older cars have more power because of carbon build up, which increases the compression ratio, in turns made more power. My M is at 170k and I don't feel any loss of power, if there were like you suggested, then I'd have the same hp as a civic.
Ok. Thanks man.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Just browsing new posts...just wanted to make sure that pricing is right...as it seems to me that the car costs more than half of what it did 10 years ago. I know bmws hold their value, but I think you might also look around at prices. This sounds like it's a used M from a bmw dealer, not a private seller. The mileage is low on one of them, but at 10 years old, no matter what the mileage, there will be things that age based on age and not mileage. You shouldn't be paying a huge premium for such low miles, I don't think, some, but not huge...and remember that when negotiating too...cabs, cooling system hoses, vac lines, every fluid...etc. Such low mileage bespeaks 'garage queen' obviously, but not being driven enough can lead to issues also.

Make sure PPI includes proper code reading and inspection below (subframe too!).

Okay, I'll leave and go back to my lowly General forum now!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
46smg

My Ride: 2003 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by intelone View Post
Wow, your at 170k miles? That's awesome...I'm at 86k miles. I plan on keeping mine for as long as possible. I don't want no car payment at this time. Like they say...maintenance! As for the power, it feels pretty much the same as it did when I bought it with 30k miles.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
Showtime_M3

My Ride: 03.5 Carbon M3
Both those prices seem high to me as well even with the low miles. I looked for 10 months before purchasing my M so I feel comfortable I have a handle on pricing. From a private seller those cars should be about $3-4k lower in price. As for power if my car had more power when it was new compared to now I can't even imagine the trouble it could cause. In a fun way!
Showtime_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
Look at the important 1,200 mile service for both - and note what the actual mileage was. That is a good engine break-in indicator.

Then check maintenance records for regular, proper maintenance.

Do this BEFORE you buy.

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #11
Spatola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Look at the important 1,200 mile service for both - and note what the actual mileage was. That is a good engine break-in indicator.

Then check maintenance records for regular, proper maintenance.

Do this BEFORE you buy.
What would be the appropriate mileage to look at for the 1,200 service? Obviously close to 1,200 miles, correct?
Old 07-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #12
Active 2

My Ride: 02 E46 m3
As long as the engine was properly maintained you will be fine. I have a 2002 M3 with 243,000 miles and my engine is solid with a compression of about 160 across all cylinders. I just made 289rwhp on a mustang dyno with only headers and a tune. So anything is possible

AA Headers | AA Exhaust | AA tune | Ground Control | AFE scoops | Apex EC-7
Active 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #13
Spatola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active 2 View Post
As long as the engine was properly maintained you will be fine. I have a 2002 M3 with 243,000 miles and my engine is solid with a compression of about 160 across all cylinders. I just made 289rwhp on a mustang dyno with only headers and a tune. So anything is possible
Wow! Makes 70,000 seem like nothing! Nice man.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #14
carbon_schwarz

My Ride: 2002 M3 convertible
That's crazy dude, up here in Canada that would be 391,000km. Didnt think that would be possible without a rebuild
carbon_schwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #15
phrozen06

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06

phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #16
Alan

Quote:
What would be the appropriate mileage to look at for the 1,200 service? Obviously close to 1,200 miles, correct?

Very close to 1,200 miles.

2,000 is not close.

Some cars never had it done - or just blew it off until 10,000 miles or more.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #17
Active 2

My Ride: 02 E46 m3
Quote:
Wow! Makes 70,000 seem like nothing! Nice man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_schwarz View Post
That's crazy dude, up here in Canada that would be 391,000km. Didnt think that would be possible without a rebuild
Yea i know, the motor was never opened except for a head gasket and it has all the original internals

AA Headers | AA Exhaust | AA tune | Ground Control | AFE scoops | Apex EC-7

Last edited by Active 2; 07-22-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Active 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #18
Spatola

Quote:
Very close to 1,200 miles.

2,000 is not close.

Some cars never had it done - or just blew it off until 10,000 miles or more.
Thanks for the heads up. Here's a question - Let's say the 1,200 service was done at 3,000 miles. (Just throwing that out there), however, all maintenance was done on time (as well as inspection I and inspection II), however, do those matter as much?
Old 07-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #19
Alan

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. Here's a question - Let's say the 1,200 service was done at 3,000 miles. (Just throwing that out there), however, all maintenance was done on time (as well as inspection I and inspection II), however, do those matter as much?

They all matter. But the purpose of the 1,200 mile service was to flush metal particulate from the engine and transmission break in. The engine had a specific break-in procedure. Some people followed it - some ignored it... most people leasing who just said it would become someone else's problem.

The 1,200 mile service and engine break-in (related) were strongly emphasized by the sales staff. If someone blew it off to 3,000 miles - its a decent guess that they didn't break-in the engine either.

Will that come back to lower compression? Who knows?

Old 07-23-2012, 12:35 AM   #20
Spatola

Quote:
They all matter. But the purpose of the 1,200 mile service was to flush metal particulate from the engine and transmission break in. The engine had a specific break-in procedure. Some people followed it - some ignored it... most people leasing who just said it would become someone else's problem.

The 1,200 mile service and engine break-in (related) were strongly emphasized by the sales staff. If someone blew it off to 3,000 miles - its a decent guess that they didn't break-in the engine either.

Will that come back to lower compression? Who knows?
Alright. Thanks for the info.