E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-25-2010, 11:49 PM   #1
TimeFor

Location: I'm in One Place and One Place Only. At The End of The World Where The Lions Weep. Here is The Place Where Dreams Are Born.
My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP (SOLD)
Do any BMW's have Wipers that return Home?

My e46 doesn't do this and its so annoying. When the auto wipers are on and I shut off the car. The wipers stop exactly where they are. Usually this is half way up the windshield. When I come back to my car when its dry and turn it on, the wipers return home but scrape across the windshield in the process. Do any BMW's have wipers that return home when I shut the car off?

I can't believe my 330 doesn't have this apart of the auto wipers feature.

- Jayson
TimeFor is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:20 AM   #2
Dan Rodriguez

My Ride: 02 SMG M3 Vert
I just turn my wipers off when I park. Have we really gotten so lazy that this is an inconvenience worth complaining about?

Sent from my XT720 using Bimmer App
Dan Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:28 AM   #3
Bezor

My Ride: E46 325i/A3 S 2.0T
Yeah it sucks.

My other German car will park the blades, then tweek them about a quarter inch while in the parked spot to keep them from freezing to the glass.
Bezor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:32 AM   #4
TimeFor

Location: I'm in One Place and One Place Only. At The End of The World Where The Lions Weep. Here is The Place Where Dreams Are Born.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rodriguez View Post
I just turn my wipers off when I park. Have we really gotten so lazy that this is an inconvenience worth complaining about?

Sent from my XT720 using Bimmer App
Yes, Its a BMW. I shouldn't have to think about these things. It should just do it. The 7's have the wipers that lift up so not to collect dust, does anyone know if they have this feature?
Old 12-26-2010, 03:41 AM   #5
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
You car is 5 years old, the e46 platform is a decade old...deal with it.
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:47 AM   #6
Gheybe

My Ride: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
+1.

you have an old BMW.
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:04 AM   #7
lejeunebimmer

My Ride: 02' M3 SMG, 02' 330i
DUDE YOU ARE A LOSER!!!! YOU SERIOUSLY POSTED THIS ON BMW NA's FACEBOOK?????
330i - AA Tuned, Headers, UUC Stage I LW FW, e36 M3 Clutch, UUC SS Clutch line, BMW Performance Intake, Evo Sport Pulleys, BMW Performance Cross-Drilled Rotors, Hawk HPS, BW SS Brake Lines, BW Solid Guide Bushings, BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, H&R Sways, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Powerflex Bushings, LED Tails, Clear Sides/Turns, Black Grill, Mtech 2, CF Splitters

M3 - Not enough room to list
lejeunebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:43 AM   #8
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
i guess the e90 sort of does this. the wipers will stop if you are stopped for an extended period of time. i hate that when you're at a long stop light, i would still like to see even if i'm stopped lol

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #9
Dan Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFor View Post
Yes, Its a BMW. I shouldn't have to think about these things. It should just do it. The 7's have the wipers that lift up so not to collect dust, does anyone know if they have this feature?
It's an ENTRY LEVEL BMW. 3 series BMWs start in the mid $30s. 7 series BMWs start in the low $70s. They have to save some features for their higher end cars to justify that price. Go buy a 7 series if it's that important to you. I'm happy just turning off my wipers when it's not raining or when I turn off the car.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #10
easyman

My Ride: MKV GTI 4 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
i guess the e90 sort of does this. the wipers will stop if you are stopped for an extended period of time. i hate that when you're at a long stop light, i would still like to see even if i'm stopped lol
our cars do this as well to an extent... They will wipe with a much lesser frequency.... Something I miss on my new Acura... at a light the wipers just keep on going.. i find myself constantly adjusting the intermittent settings...

2007 GTI 4 Door (MKV)- Current
2010 Acura TSX (cu2) - Retired
1987 BMW 325i (e30) Vert - Burned Down
2002 330i (e46) - Retired
ZPP - ZCW - ZSP - Nav - Bi-Xenon/85122+ - Mtech - 18" CSL - FSD's - 4300k Fogs-
Sig courtesy of fskarboe
easyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:10 PM   #11
tootall

My Ride: 2011 328iT 3 pedals
Before I turn off the car, I push the stalk up to wipe the windshield clean before I turn off the car. As I usually park in a garage, the wipers are usually in the park position anyway, but this keeps the glass clean and eliminates the wipers parking in the wrong position anyway. I do it for the rear window as well.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #12
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman View Post
our cars do this as well to an extent... They will wipe with a much lesser frequency.... Something I miss on my new Acura... at a light the wipers just keep on going.. i find myself constantly adjusting the intermittent settings...
on mines it doesn't do that. it actually wipes based on the amount of rain on the sensor no matter what. on the e90, it just completely stops (after 30 seconds or so). then when you move like 1mph it starts again.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:38 PM   #13
TimeFor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
That's why I'm asking. This has annoyed me for years and I'm getting ready to buy a new car. I'm willing to go any class (3 / 5 / 7) I just want to make sure I'm not going to dealing with these problems for another 5 years. I called a dealer and they didn't know. Even though it seemed like a simple test. I didn't get an awnser from them so I figured i would see if anyone here knew. So far I haven't found any cars that do this. It's not my only issue I'm basin my new car on but it's pretty important to me.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:43 PM   #14
TimeFor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rodriguez View Post
It's an ENTRY LEVEL BMW. 3 series BMWs start in the mid $30s. 7 series BMWs start in the low $70s. They have to save some features for their higher end cars to justify that price. Go buy a 7 series if it's that important to you. I'm happy just turning off my wipers when it's not raining or when I turn off the car.
I guess this just seems so basic that it shouldnt mater the class. I would buy a 7 if they had this feature. However No one has been able to confirm this for me though.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:46 PM   #15
sharpx

My Ride: E60
Does anyone know of a BMW model that does not break? Cars that need preventative maintenance are so annoying.

sharpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:50 PM   #16
sillieidiot

lol that can be said for all cars.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:29 PM   #17
darkapollo

My Ride: 2000 328i ZSP
Seriously? Dont be lazy. Just turn them off. It is REALLY not that hard.
darkapollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:44 AM   #18
tifreak

My Ride: 04 325xi
I hate how my car requires me to steer and work the pedals, I mean it's a BMW, it should do that on it's own
tifreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:10 AM   #19
Dan Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifreak View Post
I hate how my car requires me to steer and work the pedals, I mean it's a BMW, it should do that on it's own
LOL is this the type of posts I'd see if I visited the 7 series forums?
Old 12-27-2010, 06:51 PM   #20
N89

My Ride: 330Ci
You drive an entry-level, generation old BMW like the rest of us, stop crying and just shut off the wipers, it takes all of a .04 second just like any other car that isn't almost $100,000.
N89 is offline   Reply With Quote