E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
328iKid

My Ride: 2013 Ford Mustang GT
My CD changer is jammed, how do I fix it?

When I switch to CD mode with my stereo it says "NO MAGAZINE", but it's in there. I can see that CD #5 in the magazine is stuck. I've tried ejecting it but it just struggles for 1-2 mins then gives up. Will i have to rip appart that whole side of my trunk to get at it or is it simpler than this?
328iKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:52 AM   #2
mango64

My Ride: 318i se 2002
Bump...I'm suffering from the same issue, any help would be graetfully recieved.
mango64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
328iKid

Bump, I'm getting rather frustrated since they only play garbage on the radio hahah. Anyone know how to fix this issue?
Old 01-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Surely you're not going to just wait for someone to figure it out for you??
Why don't yoy take the initiative and take a look yourself and work it out
Old 01-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
328iKid

Lol I'm actually a bit scared of that stuff. I don't want to ruin anything and this being my first car I don't have much experience. I will attempt once the temp warms up outside though, I just thought maybe someone had some advice.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:14 PM   #6
Scotty_89

My Ride: 2007 335i Coupe
You will need to take it out and remove the casing and see what's jamming it.

My cd changer was not working when I bought my car - the little magazine catch wouldn't hold the magazine in. When I opened it, it turns out that the little spring that applies tension to the magazine catch had somehow come off and slingshot itself around the inside of the cd changer. When I found the little spring, it was stuck to a magnetic piece right against the lens of the CD laser... and it had been there for a while, chafing the crap out of the laser (probably from vibration, as the glass piece had crumbly powder all around it).

When I replaced the spring back in its proper position, and then tried playing a CD again, the laser then could no longer read properly. I hope your situation turns out better than mine, as I spent hours playing around inside the fiddly changer and even gashed open my finger (the sheet metal pieces inside are SHARP!!). There are dozens of those little springs in the changer though, and none of them seem to be mounted very securely (I'm going to blame poor design on BMW/Alpine's behalf).

If I were you, I'd either take it out (since it isn't working anyway), and try to fix it, or put it aside until you can get around to fixing it. If you just leave it, or keep trying to get it to play cd's it is likely you might end up in my situation.

Good luck!
Scotty_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:22 PM   #7
328iKid

Thanks for the tip, i'll open it up once i can find a warm place to do it. Winters are cold here in canada lol and I don't have a heated garage would you happen to have any advice on getting the changer removed from my trunk? If you do it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 01-17-2011, 03:30 AM   #8
Scotty_89

My Ride: 2007 335i Coupe
Unfortunately the only way I could remove mine was to pull the carpet back to get to the bolts on the bracket that mount the cd changer.

Removing and reinstalling the carpet without removing everything else first is a pain in the ass.
Scotty_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #9
eml

My Ride: E46 M3
as a first (and easy) step, just try removing the connections to the CD changer. then, plug them back in. see if that "resets" the thing and gets the problem fixed.

this happened to me once and i was ready to rip the box apart. however, after removing the connections, i just thought of plugging it back in and it worked.

if that does not, then i guess you have to go with what the others have said and rip the box apart and see what's happening inside. good luck!
eml is offline   Reply With Quote