E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #61
DontWriteGraff

My Ride: E36///M.TchnoHrdtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMyWhip View Post
BeMyWhips 5 commandments for the Pro's of E46Fanatics:
1. When you were new you asked stupid questions too. Remember that!
2. New members of E46 Fanatics are not as familiar with the E46 as you.
3. New guys are eager to learn and like to toss questions around because new products or ways of doing things surface.
4. Not everyone can read and do, some like advice to just to converse with other members.
5. When your feel above everyone one else on this forum, refer to commandment #1.

This.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Old 01-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #62
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng View Post
Welcome, Class of 2011...in an effort to combat the complete utter...lack of sense...that is going to inevitably ensue...please follow Kpeng's Five 2011 Commandments.

1. If you're thinking of a question, it's already been answered. Click the search button.

2. If you stumble on something you consider to be "super cool" or "hella tight", it's already been posted on the forum and you don't need to waste everyone's time again.

3. 24"s are not ok, neon lights are stupid, all angel eyes are the same, if you want to learn about oil then search, ebay headers are fine, ebay turbochargers are not fine, best place to purchase something is in the sponsors' section, Raceland is synonymous with garbage, preventative maintenance is key.

4. Use proper grammar. Speak like a normal person, not some thug.

5. Respect your elders.
Rule #5.

Cheat Sheet:

GT1/ISIS/MoDiC = Factory authorized diagnostic system used by BMW dealerships across the world.

NCS Expert = BMW Factory R&D programming tool available on the internet (not intended for the public and not available to the dealership network)

OEM = Genuine BMW part only available from a franchised BMW dealership.

DME = Engine Management Computer
Old 01-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #63
Blu325i

My Ride: is black and blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusticles View Post
If they go by your commandments then this forum will die because nothing will be posted anymore since its all been covered.
+1

I was thinking the SAME thing

^ I PAINT with light.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnalters
Old 01-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #64
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogetyBoogety View Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Enough with the Kpeng whipping. Children's questions may be cute the first hundred times they ask the same damn thing, but after a while, you want to tell them to go play with a plastic bag over their heads.

Sadly, owners of original or nearly-new E46s are slowly but surely being replaced by snot-nosed, acne-riddled, testosterone-addled teens and young adults who buy our aging cars (now that they're somewhat affordable to them on their just-above-minimum wages) not for the performance or the prestige, but to show off to similarly-uninformed others who think stuff magically works, and who know nothing about BMW history, tradition, or peculiarities. And as we have seen all too often, frequently purchased with no research or knowledge of the mark beyond, "it's a BMW!"
Happy New Year! Let the fun begin!
Sad but true. So very very true.

Sorry Ken, but can only support 2 of the 5 in your commandments.

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 01-01-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #65
sacrebleu

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogetyBoogety View Post

Sadly, owners of original or nearly-new E46s are slowly but surely being replaced by snot-nosed, acne-riddled, testosterone-addled teens and young adults who buy our aging cars (now that they're somewhat affordable to them on their just-above-minimum wages) not for the performance or the prestige, but to show off to similarly-uninformed others who think stuff magically works, Justin Bieber is somehow hot, and who know nothing about BMW history, tradition, or peculiarities. And as we have seen all too often, frequently purchased with no research or knowledge of the mark beyond, "it's a BMW!"
I don't understand this mentality. A forum is where the enthusiast majority of a particular car make/model get together and share ideas. If you're butt hurt that the cheaper entry fee of the E46 is bringing in kids and poor folk (who will eventually become the enthusiast majority for this car), then maybe it's time you ditch your 5 year old (at the very least) BMW and move on to an E9X.

The fact that the "elders" are so distraught over this stuff happening is indicative of how little experience they have with other cars. This same crap happens with every generation of enthusiast car, and it's respective forum. Cars get older, cheaper, and the kids get in.

You either live with it...or spend your way out of the problem by buying a newer, cost prohibitive (for newbs) car.

The constant whining is easily as annoying as the half baked questions the new guys ask.

Last edited by sacrebleu; 01-01-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:22 PM   #66
brosive05

My Ride: 01 325 & 94 ZR1
Great write up
Old 01-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #67
SHK&BAK3

My Ride: rustles jimmies
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkapollo View Post
That post brought to you by the typical snot nosed d-bags found 'lurking' waiting to mug us new members of our enthusiasm.

Personally, I could care less that you researched on an overly opinionated forum. I did my research by hanging out with people who work on these cars every day. Race them, repair them, love and hate them. You are no better then me.
Your still class of 2010 but basically 2011 b/c you joined in Nov.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:29 PM   #68
BeMyWhip

My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
[QUOTE=sacrebleu;12635859]I don't understand this mentality. A forum is where the enthusiast majority of a particular car make/model get together and share ideas. If you're butt hurt that the cheaper entry fee of the E46 is bringing in kids and poor folk (who will eventually become the enthusiast majority for this car), then maybe it's time you ditch your 5 year old (at the very least) BMW and move on to an E9X.

The fact that the "elders" are so distraught over this stuff happening is indicative of how little experience they have with other cars. This same crap happens with every generation of enthusiast car, and it's respective forum. Cars get older, cheaper, and the kids get in.

You either live with it...or spend your way out of the problem by buying a newer, cost prohibitive (for newbs) car.

The constant whining is easily as annoying as the half baked questions the new guys ask.[/QUOTE

yes, because they did it already, they think they're special or entitled. One guy even calls himself G-d on his sig pic; what nerve! Sacreligious! Also, this last fools claims he knows more than me on our cars! but he doesnt even know me, not only do I have 2 masters degrees, but I have built engines and removed and installed everthing from engines to trannies, to diffs. Snobs... PLZ Bit@ches!

Last edited by BeMyWhip; 01-01-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #69
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
People keep talking about skool, classes, subjects, qualifications, blah, blah. I never did well in it. So I am feeling a bit left out. Maybe I should go join the honda forums where people skip skool.

Last edited by GoingNuts; 01-01-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #70
mach.schnell

My Ride: 08/2000 330Cic x2
Quote:
I wont get into a pissin' match with you, but your're not too bright!
Fixed
Old 01-01-2011, 06:43 PM   #71
sacrebleu

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach.schnell View Post
Fixed
Not really.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:47 PM   #72
BeMyWhip

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
People keep talking about skool, classes, subjects, qualifications, blah, blah. I never did well in it. So I am feeling a bit left out. Maybe I should go join the honda forums where people skip skool.
Nuts, you dont go no where... stay right here; just cuz these people gotz school, dont mean they gotz brains. Trust me! lol. Just keep in mind that the man who built the first A-bomb flunked math! So stick around Nuts

Last edited by BeMyWhip; 01-01-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #73
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
I won't get into a pissing match with you, but you're not too bright!
That fixes the language, but, Whip, think you are in a pissin contest and once entered, hard to leave...seen it before many times. Now we have to wait until both of you shake off the last drop...unless either of you wrings it out!

Noobs, just so you hear it again...many of us are here to learn and help...at least I know of many like me here that are like that.

I personally love really stupid questions, coz it makes it that much easier to help and appear really intelligent too!

I love my car and want to make sure there are folks here able to help me in 20 years...and out of the many of you noobs, some few will be here with me for that long I know. Looking forward to a long, productive, frustrating relationship!

Just ignore the commandments, except for the searching one, and do the best you can in asking for help...you'll get it.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com

Last edited by dmax; 01-01-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #74
BeMyWhip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
That fixes the language, but, Whip, think you are in a pissin contest and once entered, hard to leave...seen it before many times. Now we have to wait until both of you shake off the last drop...unless either of you wrings it out!

Noobs, just so you hear it again...many of us are here to learn and help...at least I know of many like me here that are like that.

I personally love really stupid questions, coz it makes it that much easier to help and appear really intelligent too!

I love my car and want to make sure there are folks here able to help me in 20 years...and out of the many of you noobs, some few will be here with me for that long I know. Looking forward to a long, productive, frustrating relationship!

Just ignore the commandments, except for the searching one, and do the best you can in asking for help...you'll get it.
Doug, my name is George; and as for the poor sentence structure and your're instead of you're, I type and rarely proof read anything. most of the time Im typing and watching tv or battling the wife and kids. so dont use this as a form of insight into my actually writing skills. I was actually an A student in English. BTW, I enjoy your posts; keep up the good work.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #75
mack89

My Ride: '02 TIAG 330i 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemywhip View Post
bemywhips 5 commandments for the pro's of e46fanatics:
2. New members of e46 fanatics are not as familiar with the e46 as you.
3. New guys are eager to learn and like to toss questions around because new products or ways of doing things surface.
4. Not everyone can read and do, some like advice to just to converse with other members.
5. When your feel above everyone one else on this forum, refer to commandment #1.
+2.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #76
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Doug, my name is George; and as for the poor sentence structure and your're instead of you're, I type and rarely proof read anything. most of the time Im typing and watching tv or battling the wife and kids. so dont use this as a form of insight into my actually writing skills. I was actually an A student in English. BTW, I enjoy your posts; keep up the good work.
Hey George...yea, I didn't correct coz I'm with the grammar police...I actually know more rules of grammar and punctuation than most I know...wish I didn't, but I do...and personally, don't bother too much with that either...if I did, my posts would be much shorter!

I've tried using posting on fanatics as a way to avoid battling with the wife and kids...but that generally backfires miserably..."You can't take out the garbage coz you need to help write five commandments?"

Unfortunately, I have to behave...I mistakenly told the boys how to get me banned from fanatics (posting F1 results!)...so if I don't behave, they threaten me with that!

I just corrected your post coz I didn't want to have to read five failed attempts at correcting it!

I never 'read' anything into mistakes in grammar/spelling/punctuation--I have enough difficulty trying to figure out folks' issues based on content...worrying about the purity of English is something I do when I do a seminar on writing. Hmmm? Maybe I should offer one for local fanatics?

Okay, I'm way over my imposed limit of words.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 01-01-2011, 07:26 PM   #77
MasterTJ

My Ride: 2002 e46 BMW M3 6sp
I am new to this forum, and BMW's in general. I was on my.is previously for around 3 years and had a lot of experience with the Lexus IS. This makes me both a new guy here, and an experienced guy over there. That being said:

I am deeply saddened that a place such as this forum (and my.is too), which is filled with information and many experienced individuals who are very passionate about cars and E46's and such, has some people who have such a twisted and condescending viewpoint about "elders" versus "newbies" or "seniors" versus "freshmen". This snobby entitlement is sickening to people who view this community from the outside, and to people who walk in excited to become a part of it.

As with ANY community, there are people who are just joining, and people who have been there a long time. New people come in all shapes and sizes, intelligences and educational backgrounds. It's sad I have to even say this, but EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT: Some people don't take the time to spell properly in their posts because that's how they type or because they are just lazy or even in a hurry. Some people search but use keywords that, although seem obviously related to what they're searching for, are in the content but not in the subject of the post (or the subject of the post says something like "help, noise!") so they skip over that post because it seems unrelated to what they're looking for and there are over 300 posts to wade through for an answer (basically, searching is not perfect, nor can it be easy sometimes). Some people revive a dead thread because they read it and the question seemed unanswered, or they wanted to expand on the original thread's question. Some people post things like the chrome BMW or the civic M3 and its hilarious to them, or even interesting to them and they want to buy it. Again, EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. As a citizen of the world, and as a moral individual with any sort of upbringing in any religion, it all points to RESPECTING DIFFERENCES. Instead of shooting people down, you should help them. That is the SOLE purpose of this forum: To connect with others, ask questions, answer questions, and generally socialize with people through the common link of BMW and e46's. Don't forget that.

There are also just complete idiots who have no valid reason to be doing what they're doing in this forum. Just ignore them or report them to a moderator! Don't start flaming or tearing someone down for no reason. Grow up a little, just walk away. If they're doing something seriously bad, report it to a moderator and they will be removed from the forum.

The "5 commandants" this thread refers to are just plain ridiculous. Get off your high horses. I respect every single person with more knowledge than me on this forum, but this is just plain conceited. It pains me to see such a large passionate community look up to more experienced members who then go and post things like this thread. People with that mentality are acting less mature than the "class of 2011" they are talking down to. This is not a high school or college. This is a social club. Everyone is just a "member" at the end of the day.

BeMyWhip said it best:

Quote:
BeMyWhips 5 commandments for the Pro's of E46Fanatics:

2. New members of E46 Fanatics are not as familiar with the E46 as you.

Please just consider what I have said and try to realize that as a community gets older, it is the "elders"/"seniors" jobs to make sure the community continues to prosper, and that there are people who are mature and experienced enough to take their place as they "graduate" and leave the community (pass away or sell the BMW's or whatever that may mean). Why not make this forum different than others, and have everyone be accepting and respectful of everyone else. If a new person comes in spouting disrespect, tell them that this forum is different, everyone respects each other, and then practice what you preach and ask them to remain respectful so that their question may be answered then.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:29 PM   #78
shockin330i

My Ride: '13 AW F10 535i
Send a message via AIM to shockin330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrebleu View Post
How predictable. Another rant from a pompous forum "elder" who feels he is entitled to something.

At least the new guys ask honest, innocuous (albeit poorly researched) questions.

The pretentious snobs in this forum are the ones who add all the negativity.
5tfu n00b
2013 535i AW F10 "Lola"

"Losers always whine about their best, winners go home and f*** the Prom Queen."-John Mason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay330Ci View Post
:drool:
i'd cosign loans for that ho
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Thanks dude. I knew she was a keeper when she blew me during a game of cod. I didn't do too well that game

Last edited by shockin330i; 01-03-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:29 PM   #79
BeMyWhip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Hey George...yea, I didn't correct coz I'm with the grammar police...I actually know more rules of grammar and punctuation than most I know...wish I didn't, but I do...and personally, don't bother too much with that either...if I did, my posts would be much shorter!

I've tried using posting on fanatics as a way to avoid battling with the wife and kids...but that generally backfires miserably..."You can't take out the garbage coz you need to help write five commandments?"

Unfortunately, I have to behave...I mistakenly told the boys how to get me banned from fanatics (posting F1 results!)...so if I don't behave, they threaten me with that!

I just corrected your post coz I didn't want to have to read five failed attempts at correcting it!

I never 'read' anything into mistakes in grammar/spelling/punctuation--I have enough difficulty trying to figure out folks' issues based on content...worrying about the purity of English is something I do when I do a seminar on writing. Hmmm? Maybe I should offer one for local fanatics?

Okay, I'm way over my imposed limit of words.
funny as hell Doug... we're in the same boat i see! oh man I couldnt have said it better myself
Old 01-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #80
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Please...for fock sakes...everyone attempt at least one search??? WTF is so hard about that? After seeing all of the griping here about how people are picking on you...I might now start "destroying noobs".

No one really cares who has been here longer...just focking search before you insert your foot in your mouth. So when everyone puts up a you can at least honestly say you attempted one half-a$$ed search.

Last edited by bigjae1976; 01-01-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
noobs