E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
|sland|2oots

My Ride: ///M3
Exclamation Suspension PROs Come on in

First off, Happy New Years everyone! Welcome 2011

Okay here we go.. This is when I believe my problem occurred. I went out with some friends in the ///M, had 2 ladies in the backseat and remember hitting a bump in the road because the ladies had said something about it but remembered it not being bad at all or so I thought anyway.

Fast forward 3 days, I'm driving home from work, its new yrs eve and noticed that something was definitely off with the way the car handled especially when taking right handed turns. It felt like I was getting wheel hop from the rear passenger wheel. I get home and check the wheel lug bolts to make sure that they weren't loose. They weren't. I remember seeing a few threads about members busting out their RSMs so i figured that maybe it was that so I pull out my trunk liner and this is what i saw..

So I go and jack up the car to get a better look and see this

WTF!?@$#%?

In all the years I've been modifying cars, I have never seen or heard of this happening. The rear damper was just hanging there! and the rod from the damper is complete gone!! I'm completely floored as to how this would happen. I'm running KWV2 coilovers with Rogue Engineering RSMs which are supposed quality products which is why I chose them. Both of which are just under a yr old. I'm located in S.FL where the roads are pretty good. I don't have the car 'slammed' but it is lowered. I hardly have people in the backseat but would like to think that I could without this happening every time i hit a bump in the road especially with heavy duty RSMs and a nice set of quality coilovers.

The M3 is my DD and now I don't have a ride and cant even do anything about it till Monday due to the holidays

I'm trying to figure out what would cause this to happen and which part failed? What do u guys think?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
invictus

My Ride: M3, 749R, SV650
woah.

CCW. Dunlop. Ground Control. StopTech. Hawk. Vorschlag. Rogue Engineering. Recaro. TCDesign. RaceTech. VAC. Motul. Vorsteiner.
Find me on track: 10/19-21 Sonoma Speedway // 11/10-11 Thunderhill
The story so far...

Fund my track car:

PM me about my: stock diffuser, stock trunk
WTB 1x Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec 265/35/18 (used is okay)
invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:04 PM   #3
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
That's pretty cool! Did the rod shoot out or something? Did you install a large washer on between the top nut and the top of the RSM?
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:39 PM   #4
|sland|2oots

My Ride: ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
That's pretty cool! Did the rod shoot out or something? Did you install a large washer on between the top nut and the top of the RSM?
Not sure about the 'coolness' of this but the rod is nowhere to be found. As for the large washer between the top nut and the RSM, I'm not sure off the top of my head but installed the RSMs per Rogue Engineering's instructions
Old 01-01-2011, 11:52 PM   #5
Au2bahn

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP,09 HCHII
Wow. That's bizzare for that rod to completely disappear without you noticing. So basically it was just the spring doing all the work.

Is that covered under KW Warranty?

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

ESS TS2 - VMR V710 19" wheels - KW Coilovers - 3.46 Diff - Macht Schnell 5mm Rear Spacers - BMW Performance BBK w/ floating rotors -
BMW Performance Strut Brace - BMW Performance Air Intake - BMW Performance SSK/DSSR - Hawk HPS Brake Pads - SS Brake Lines -
OEM M3 RTAB w/ Vorshlag Limiters - Meyle HD FCAB - TMS Sway Bars w/ adjustable links - AEM Digital Boost Gauge -
Stewart w/p - 6K HID Fogs - Swain Coated Magnaflow headers
Au2bahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
w0w

My Ride: 00 323i
hahaha holy sh1t thats amazing! i dont know how to respond to something like that! hope kw gets that taken care of for you, glad you're safe
Old 01-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #7
shockpot

My Ride: E30s, E36s, E46s
I don't see any shock oil splattered everywhere. It looks like the bump stop is still sitting on the shock leading me to believe that the shock shaft is still there, its just compressed down into the bump stop. Is the shock shaft truely gone and oil from the shock everywhere or did the shock shaft break and the shock still sealed? Also it looks like the shock mount is mounted upside down but I am not familiar with those mounts so I could be wrong.
shockpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
Au2bahn

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP,09 HCHII
Shock mounts are correctly mounted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockpot View Post
I don't see any shock oil splattered everywhere. It looks like the bump stop is still sitting on the shock leading me to believe that the shock shaft is still there, its just compressed down into the bump stop. Is the shock shaft truely gone and oil from the shock everywhere or did the shock shaft break and the shock still sealed? Also it looks like the shock mount is mounted upside down but I am not familiar with those mounts so I could be wrong.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

ESS TS2 - VMR V710 19" wheels - KW Coilovers - 3.46 Diff - Macht Schnell 5mm Rear Spacers - BMW Performance BBK w/ floating rotors -
BMW Performance Strut Brace - BMW Performance Air Intake - BMW Performance SSK/DSSR - Hawk HPS Brake Pads - SS Brake Lines -
OEM M3 RTAB w/ Vorshlag Limiters - Meyle HD FCAB - TMS Sway Bars w/ adjustable links - AEM Digital Boost Gauge -
Stewart w/p - 6K HID Fogs - Swain Coated Magnaflow headers
Au2bahn is offline   Reply With Quote