E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
1nyce46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: nyc
Posts: 163
My Ride: 02 bmw 330i
Send a message via AIM to 1nyce46
Noob questions help!

Hey guys what's up just wondering if I can pick your brains got a couple of questions. First off I just purchased my stock Black 02 BMW 325xi ,anyway I want to start my mods which are clear corners,sidemarkers,and clear led tail lights,anyway in the spring I'm looking forward to new wheels,here's the first question would springs from a 01 330i fit and work on my car?second the wheels that I want are the 19 BMW m3 wheels will these fit,I think if I get 4 front wheels but not sure, 3.will the springs from the 330i lower my car or do I need new struts also I'm looking for a 1.25 drop at the most,anyway thanks in advance guys
1nyce46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
Gottalovethexi
Registered User
 
Gottalovethexi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Jersey
Posts: 8,800
My Ride: 03 xi & 72 Bav
Send a message via AIM to Gottalovethexi
1. maybe, but don't do it. search for xi-spec springs (H&R/Eibach/etc)
2. four fronts will work
3. *ref answer #1
__________________
Gottalovethexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,462
My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nyce46 View Post
Hey guys what's up just wondering if I can pick your brains got a couple of questions. First off I just purchased my stock Black 02 BMW 325xi ,anyway I want to start my mods which are clear corners,sidemarkers,and clear led tail lights,anyway in the spring I'm looking forward to new wheels,here's the first question would springs from a 01 330i fit and work on my car?second the wheels that I want are the 19 BMW m3 wheels will these fit,I think if I get 4 front wheels but not sure, 3.will the springs from the 330i lower my car or do I need new struts also I'm looking for a 1.25 drop at the most,anyway thanks in advance guys
First of all, thank you for coming in here with reasonable mods in mind. Not swapping in a 335i engine or superturboquad charging your engine or any of that crap.

So first things first, will the 330i springs fit...maybe? I've heard both ways on that one. My advice is to get the Eibach pro-kit springs and some Koni shocks/struts. They are guaranteed to fit (if you get the xi kit that is) and they will drop the car about 1in.

Second, you can get four front M3 wheels on there no problem. As long as the offset is ET35-ET50, you'll be fine. Please do the suspension prior to getting these wheels as the car will look like a monster truck if you don't.

Third. Yes, if they fit, they will lower your car. The shocks and struts from a 330i for sure WILL NOT FIT. If you are lowering your car, the shocks and struts will die very shortly after you put on the new springs. Could be days, months, or even a year but they will go. Depending on your mileage, they're probably already toast. The Konis are designed for this and will not die. If you want an explanation as to why, I can tell you later.

Fourth (this is my present to you). Before you do ANY of this to your car, make sure it's in tip top shape from a maintenance point. These cars are relatively cheap to maintain (provided you do it yourself or go to a private shop, and avoid the dealership like the plague), but very expensive to fix when they break. If you got this car from a dealership or your typical run of the mill BMW owner, I will guarantee you there are a million things you need to do before you get clear corners and LED tails. There are many threads about what to do so look around. Most of the maintenance that applies to the normal RWD models will apply to the xi. Feel free to ask if you have more questions.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:51 PM   #4
Kubica
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,342
My Ride: 2003 325xi
Non-xi springs will fit, but their performance is an unknown.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:37 AM   #5
1nyce46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: nyc
Posts: 163
My Ride: 02 bmw 330i
Send a message via AIM to 1nyce46
first off thanks for quick responses,yea i guess i will do it right the first time and go with the eibach kit i find the h&r a lil too low,with koni struts,as far as maintenance i covered that just need a front brake sensor and needs to be reset for a airbag light....which i was wondering if there was anyone local with a reset tool i can go see them...anyhow i was looking on some sites for corner lights and some online places advertise 99-04 others 99-01 its kind of confusing...lol can i put clear corners from a 01 lets say?does it matter if its states for a coupe or sedan is there a difference?same with the led tails? and last has anyone heard of a extension of the subframe inspections and free repairs?once again thanks in advance
1nyce46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,462
My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nyce46 View Post
first off thanks for quick responses,yea i guess i will do it right the first time and go with the eibach kit i find the h&r a lil too low,with koni struts,as far as maintenance i covered that just need a front brake sensor and needs to be reset for a airbag light....which i was wondering if there was anyone local with a reset tool i can go see them...anyhow i was looking on some sites for corner lights and some online places advertise 99-04 others 99-01 its kind of confusing...lol can i put clear corners from a 01 lets say?does it matter if its states for a coupe or sedan is there a difference?same with the led tails? and last has anyone heard of a extension of the subframe inspections and free repairs?once again thanks in advance
Don't buy from the sites that say 99-04. Yes it matters, no you can't put on lights from an 01. The fronts of cars made from 99-01 are different than 02-05. Same for tails. Yes it matters between coupe and sedan. The subframe issues are mainly related to the older (99-01) cars and don't really apply to xi models.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #7
lotar_6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Finger Lakes, NY
Posts: 88
My Ride: '01 xi, '94 Rado
The light fitment issue was just asked in another thread in this forum.

Here was my input...


Quote:
Originally Posted by lotar_6 View Post
I'll get schooled in a second, but from my reading, anything 2-door won't work on a sedan... period. You need to find lights for the 02-05 facelift sedan to work for you. Anything 99-01 is prefacelift sedan, and also won't work. I think the fitment changed, but I know the bulb holders were different... at least for the tails. You might be able to find different styles for the 02-05, but you need to make sure it fits the facelift 4-door model.
good luck... I just did smoked on mine and blacked out the grill... luv it.
__________________
lotar_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:42 PM   #8
1nyce46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: nyc
Posts: 163
My Ride: 02 bmw 330i
Send a message via AIM to 1nyce46
Lol I feel like a jackass my brother has a 99 BMW 323i and all we did was park them together and noticed right away the differences between the corner and sidemarkers lol sorry guys.... Still trying to get back into my BMW state of mind last car was a nicely modded 02 Lexus is300,but before that I had a 528i and loved it so I had to come back,so now I decided to do the smoke corner sidemarkers,and still thinking wat should I go for led tails or simple smoked clear/red,want to keep it nice and clean did alot of modding to the is300 and lost alot of $$$$$$$ anywayz thanks
1nyce46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
Glissco27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Jersey Shore(ish)
Posts: 345
My Ride: is a smoked Xi
Send a message via AIM to Glissco27
if you really want to get the clear corners and side markers go to khoalty.com they have them for very cheap. i think the sidemarkers are 25 and the clear corners are 35. id advise you to buy them in one order though because shipping is 10$ (roughly) which kind of sucks cuz its coming from california. ive ordered all my lighting mods from khoalty and have no complaints whatsoever (have an 04 xi). feel free to PM me if you have any questions. BTW love the idea of putting the m3 wheels on the sedans, especially since you said yours is black....ive seen it before and it looks real good...happy modding
__________________
Khoalty Black Matte Grill | Khoalty Smoked Turn Sig w/ LEDs | Khoalty Smoked Side Markers w/LEDs | Silver CF Vinyl Interior Trim | Khoalty LED Interior Kit | CF/White Roundels | Khoalty Smoked Tail Lights | Khoalty Angel Eyes | Aftermarket Pioneer sound system

***Wants***
M-tech II front Tiag
Glissco27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #10
Glissco27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Jersey Shore(ish)
Posts: 345
My Ride: is a smoked Xi
Send a message via AIM to Glissco27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
First of all, thank you for coming in here with reasonable mods in mind. Not swapping in a 335i engine or superturboquad charging your engine or any of that crap.

So first things first, will the 330i springs fit...maybe? I've heard both ways on that one. My advice is to get the Eibach pro-kit springs and some Koni shocks/struts. They are guaranteed to fit (if you get the xi kit that is) and they will drop the car about 1in.

Second, you can get four front M3 wheels on there no problem. As long as the offset is ET35-ET50, you'll be fine. Please do the suspension prior to getting these wheels as the car will look like a monster truck if you don't.

Third. Yes, if they fit, they will lower your car. The shocks and struts from a 330i for sure WILL NOT FIT. If you are lowering your car, the shocks and struts will die very shortly after you put on the new springs. Could be days, months, or even a year but they will go. Depending on your mileage, they're probably already toast. The Konis are designed for this and will not die. If you want an explanation as to why, I can tell you later.

Fourth (this is my present to you). Before you do ANY of this to your car, make sure it's in tip top shape from a maintenance point. These cars are relatively cheap to maintain (provided you do it yourself or go to a private shop, and avoid the dealership like the plague), but very expensive to fix when they break. If you got this car from a dealership or your typical run of the mill BMW owner, I will guarantee you there are a million things you need to do before you get clear corners and LED tails. There are many threads about what to do so look around. Most of the maintenance that applies to the normal RWD models will apply to the xi. Feel free to ask if you have more questions.
any suggestions as to what to type in as a search to find these threads, curious to see whats on the list of what to check. id guess maybe search "typical maintanence checklist" or something like that? idk haha sounds stupid but if you know of a specific thread can you PM it to me? thanks for your help/informative post
__________________
Khoalty Black Matte Grill | Khoalty Smoked Turn Sig w/ LEDs | Khoalty Smoked Side Markers w/LEDs | Silver CF Vinyl Interior Trim | Khoalty LED Interior Kit | CF/White Roundels | Khoalty Smoked Tail Lights | Khoalty Angel Eyes | Aftermarket Pioneer sound system

***Wants***
M-tech II front Tiag
Glissco27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #11
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,462
My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glissco27 View Post
any suggestions as to what to type in as a search to find these threads, curious to see whats on the list of what to check. id guess maybe search "typical maintanence checklist" or something like that? idk haha sounds stupid but if you know of a specific thread can you PM it to me? thanks for your help/informative post
What kind of mileage are you at? Have you already done anything to the car since you've gotten it? Do you have prior maintenance records?
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #12
Glissco27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Jersey Shore(ish)
Posts: 345
My Ride: is a smoked Xi
Send a message via AIM to Glissco27
im at 75,000....had insepction II done. just replaced the tensioners and belts and more recently my rear springs,strut mounts,and passenger cv joint. everything else seems fine (from what i can tell bu im no mechanic)
__________________
Khoalty Black Matte Grill | Khoalty Smoked Turn Sig w/ LEDs | Khoalty Smoked Side Markers w/LEDs | Silver CF Vinyl Interior Trim | Khoalty LED Interior Kit | CF/White Roundels | Khoalty Smoked Tail Lights | Khoalty Angel Eyes | Aftermarket Pioneer sound system

***Wants***
M-tech II front Tiag
Glissco27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:11 PM   #13
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,462
My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glissco27 View Post
im at 75,000....had insepction II done. just replaced the tensioners and belts and more recently my rear springs,strut mounts,and passenger cv joint. everything else seems fine (from what i can tell bu im no mechanic)
Check the other boot/joint regularly, if it hasn't been replaced in a while it might be on its way out. Never know.

Replace your transmission fluid, transfer case fluid, as well as the front and rear diff fluid.

Check the front control arm ball joints, tie rod end ball joints, sway bar links, front struts and springs are more than likely dead so consider replacing soon along with rear shocks. Also replace the control arm bushings.

Check your cooling system regularly as it might explode at a very bad time. This means your expansion tank, hoses, water pump. Look for leaks and/or milky white residue which would be evaporated coolant.

Check your intake track for cracks/leaks. Clean the MAF, ICV, and throttle body as best you can.

Keep up with regular oil changes. Don't follow the 15k miles rule, do less. I personally do 7500 miles.

Another thing I personally do is go through the entire Inspection 1 checklist when I do an oil change. I don't replace anything, but give the car a once over. This helps so that you don't miss anything.

That should cover it... I'm sure someone else will chime in with anything I've missed.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 01-02-2011 at 08:13 PM.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:30 AM   #14
Glissco27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Jersey Shore(ish)
Posts: 345
My Ride: is a smoked Xi
Send a message via AIM to Glissco27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Check the other boot/joint regularly, if it hasn't been replaced in a while it might be on its way out. Never know.

Replace your transmission fluid, transfer case fluid, as well as the front and rear diff fluid.

Check the front control arm ball joints, tie rod end ball joints, sway bar links, front struts and springs are more than likely dead so consider replacing soon along with rear shocks. Also replace the control arm bushings.

Check your cooling system regularly as it might explode at a very bad time. This means your expansion tank, hoses, water pump. Look for leaks and/or milky white residue which would be evaporated coolant.

Check your intake track for cracks/leaks. Clean the MAF, ICV, and throttle body as best you can.

Keep up with regular oil changes. Don't follow the 15k miles rule, do less. I personally do 7500 miles.

Another thing I personally do is go through the entire Inspection 1 checklist when I do an oil change. I don't replace anything, but give the car a once over. This helps so that you don't miss anything.

That should cover it... I'm sure someone else will chime in with anything I've missed.
yeah i just checked my cooling system and all is good, no leaks or milky residue but hey with those things you never know when theyre gunna blow. i change my oil every 5,000 (sometimes ill wait to 6000 if i dont get around to it). but i did just bring it to this place called Bimmerclinic and had it up on the lift and i watched them check pretty much everything so as of now i think im set but thanks for the info you've been really helpful
__________________
Khoalty Black Matte Grill | Khoalty Smoked Turn Sig w/ LEDs | Khoalty Smoked Side Markers w/LEDs | Silver CF Vinyl Interior Trim | Khoalty LED Interior Kit | CF/White Roundels | Khoalty Smoked Tail Lights | Khoalty Angel Eyes | Aftermarket Pioneer sound system

***Wants***
M-tech II front Tiag
Glissco27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use