E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 3.29 average. Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 12:11 AM   #1
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
E46 URO brand window regulators: THUMBS UP.

Great success today installing new front window regulators on my E46 Sedan. My front-driver window regulator popped the rear clip (closest to the B-pillar) and the window was cocked and basically inoperable. The passenger side clip was also busted but the window had not popped off the track.

All went VERY smooth and each side took about an hour taking my time and greasing the motor and tracks with lithium grease. Both front windows operate extremely quietly and smoothly--and quickly.

If you've got side windows that ROLL UP SLOWLY, here's why:

The clip that fails IS the rear clip closest to the B-pillar. Both front clips were perfectly fine. Since this rear clip breaks, your MOTOR (which is separate from the regulator) is lifting the window on ONE side so the OTHER side of the window is binding in the track. With a properly functioning regulator, the motor lifts BOTH sides of the window equally. Maybe some of you know this, maybe not. But I just wanted to put it out there.

A broken regulator will allow the window to roll down quickly but roll up slowly. The reason is because the piece of the plastic clip that holds the wire and carries the window upward breaks off.

The first photo is the OE (original) UNBROKEN driver's side clip closest to the front of the car--the clip that DOES NOT fail. Thats how it looks when its holding that little barrel. the second photo is a shot of the rear clip, or where it should be--the one closest to the B-pillar. This is the one that fails on BOTH driver and passenger side regulators.

The last two photos are the new URO regulator. I bought them from bmaparts.com. As you can see, I installed zipties to reinforce the clips. Hopefully they do more good than harm. They didn't seem to misalign anything so I think it'll help. The regulators were $65 each. I'd recommend calling them and ordering it because for some reason they took them off of their website.

If anyone is interested in the OE regulators, PM me. They're in great shape and can be fixed for $10 a side with new clips from ebay. The wires arent frayed or anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reg1.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	388442   Click image for larger version

Name:	reg2.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	388443   Click image for larger version

Name:	reg3.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	388444   Click image for larger version

Name:	reg4.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	388445  

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 01-02-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
AfghanScarface

My Ride: Debadged M3
Send a message via AIM to AfghanScarface
Good writeup! I have this problem on the passenger window of my E36 M3. So you're basically saying that if I replace the broken clip (its obvious this is the problem) then the window should work fine again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4Lyfe View Post
Either pursue her and risk getting Mono, or don't pursue her,...stay home and use your Mano.

It's either Mono or Mano .... You decide
AfghanScarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
Alekm

My Ride: 323 E46 1999 AT 170k
How is the experience so far with these regulators? I ordered one for each front door.
Alekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
Mango
A full five stars, son

Still great! They still operate very smoothly and silently.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-21-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfghanScarface View Post
Good writeup! I have this problem on the passenger window of my E36 M3. So you're basically saying that if I replace the broken clip (its obvious this is the problem) then the window should work fine again?
I'm not sure how the E36 regulators work, but if they're anything like the E46, yes the clips are what help the window move.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
AJV

My Ride: 164 Quadrifoglio
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I'm not sure how the E36 regulators work, but if they're anything like the E46, yes the clips are what help the window move.
E46 regulators are garbage. A cheaper alternative to replacing the regulator is to take the broken clip and use a soldering iron to melt the plastic back. Then take some solder and fuse the sh!t out of the ball so you have a mix of plastic and solder holding the clip together. It works quite well; better than the zip tie method (which was my inspiration to try soldering it).

And in regards to E46Mango, the E46 has cable regulators as you know. The E36 has a more typical lifter arm with a large rack gear on it. It has slider bushings that move around in what looks like a specially fabricated piece of Unistrut. They fail too, but in my opinion the E36 regulators are inherently a better design. I've wasted too much time with both
Old 03-21-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
AJV

My Ride: 164 Quadrifoglio
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfghanScarface View Post
With your regulator, you won't have problems with a vertical slider like we have with the E46. You will have a couple dirty white bushings that slide horizontally with a linkage mechanism to lift your window. Those bushings wear down over time and the whole mechanism gets wobbly and can/will fail. The bushings are cheaply available on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-W...Q5fAccessories

Depending on the year of the M3, whether it's a sedan or convertible, etc may depend on how hard it is to get the regulator out, but rebuilding it is a pretty common sense process. Let me know if you have any issues, but those bushings and about an hour of your time should make your window work like brand new.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:18 AM   #8
bmw_325i_ct

My Ride: 325i
I replaced my original regulator with URO and everything is working smoothly. I had to use little force to get the regulator screws in on the motor side as allignment was slightly off. But once they were in no problems. What was nice about the regulator that it was lowered to the correct height out of the box so when you put it in the door it lined up perfectly with the window mounting tabs once you lowered the window to attach it back to the regulator. The window operation is quiet and fast as original and the window rolls all the way up and down as before. I read that some people's window does not go all the way up when they replace a regulator. Not in this case. Maybe I got lucky. Overall I would say this is an easy job and the worst part of the DIY is peeling the vapor barrier. Per TIS I lowered my window so 5.5" (140mm) is visible. At that height the mounting window screws are accessible.
bmw_325i_ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #9
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
Nice pics.
Good review.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #10
Mango
A full five stars, son

Update for anyone interested, regulators are still operating perfectly. And I roll the front windows down/up a lot.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #11
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Excellent. A real review. I know exactly what I'll be purchasing when my zip-tie fix fails.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #12
brontosaurus

My Ride: 2002 330i 5mt
Thanks for the update! Picking up some UROs as I had THREE ****ING REGULATORS fail in one day.

THREE )#*%&@#_%&*@)#u{jtwt#t@#
brontosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #13
Mango
A full five stars, son

So I've been helping my neighbor with his 2004 325xi window regulator. I've installed two UROs and they've failed. FIrst one a week later and the second a month later. I'm going to put a Genuine BMW one this time so I don't have to mess with it anymore.

I will remove it over the weekend and see what went wrong. I think it's the internal windage mechanism of the steel cable. I believe the plastic isn't molded properly and the cable is slipping out of position causing binding.

Funny thing is the UROs on my car are 3 years old and going strong. Silent without issue. Either my car is magical (likely), my neighbor has bad luck, or URO's QC/QA has gone downhill for this part.

I think BMA/URO will get the message when they keep getting returned parts.

So for now, I have to rescind my recommendation for this $55 part.

Mango rating: 1/5 mangos

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #14
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I think BMA/URO will get the message when they keep getting returned parts.
You'd think that, but they keep pumping out mediocre parts
Old 07-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #15
GDubois

My Ride: is slow
Would never put any URO junk in my car. All their products seem to be hit or miss. Glad to see yours are still working though.

Congratulations.
GDubois is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #16
HLG600

My Ride: German
Thanks for updating the review. My only experience with URO is the washer pump I replaced. $7 shipped, great reviews on Amazon and it works. I was considering URO for the PS Reservoir, but Pelican Parts has the ZF one for under $22 so not going to bother.
HLG600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #17
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLG600 View Post
Thanks for updating the review. My only experience with URO is the washer pump I replaced. $7 shipped, great reviews on Amazon and it works. I was considering URO for the PS Reservoir, but Pelican Parts has the ZF one for under $22 so not going to bother.
It seems like for little tiny parts they're great, but bigger parts not so much. I think the only URO part I have is the aluminum water pump pulley. That's worked swimmingly well for me.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #18
Mango
A full five stars, son

I have the URO pulley too. Since OE regulators seem to fail a lot, I thought it would be fine to try this non-critical aftermarket part at a fraction of the cost of the Genuine one. For my car, however, it's been fine.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #19
LowRoller22

My Ride: 01 330ci
I'm installing a Dorman on passenger door of 330ci vert. The white plastic gear on the motor is stripped. Is this part serviceable, or will I have to get a new motor? The cable was wound around this area. I lubed up the rollers and the spot where the cable hits the frame. Your pictures were helpful. Thanks
LowRoller22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #20
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowRoller22 View Post
I'm installing a Dorman on passenger door of 330ci vert. The white plastic gear on the motor is stripped. Is this part serviceable, or will I have to get a new motor? The cable was wound around this area. I lubed up the rollers and the spot where the cable hits the frame. Your pictures were helpful. Thanks
To my knowledge, i'd think you'd need a new motor. i've never seen that part to be replaceable

OVER A MILLION VIEWS