E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-30-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
dtrog325i

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i
best subwoofer amp?

what is the best amp for 2 kicker 10" subs. theyre 300 watts each
dtrog325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:54 AM   #2
scott0482

My Ride: 2001 530i
Send a message via AIM to scott0482
i could be a dick and post something like this: http://www.woofersetc.com/p3743/MCC6...att-Meters.htm
its a good amp.. you can't go wrong with it..

if you are on a budget, this would be fine: http://cgi.ebay.com/US-Acoustics-USX...item2a0c138c5c

this should do the trick...
http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Classic-Lan...item2eb2431832

ok... i am serious.. you will never hear a difference in the THD of one amp over another.. especially with subs..
therefore.. this is a general rule of thumb.. look at the fuses.. multiply the total fuse amperage by 10
if an amp has 2x 20 amp fuses... then it is probably about 400 watts rms..
the math is based on the fact that an alternator is 14.4 volts, and a car battery is 12 volts.. the voltage your amps sees is in the middle.. a class a/b amp is about 60% efficient or something (yes i know class D is more efficient - but yeah... it is still x10).. therefore, the general rule of thumb.. take the fuses and add a zero... you see a boss or pyramid amp that says 2000 watts and it has 2x 15 amp fuses.. that won't be able to put out more than 300 watts..

i have no idea what brands are over/under rated anymore.. last i knew RF, MTX, and Kicker still made good amps, they over-rated for a few years and then stepped it back after everyone was schooled on the ebay chrome amps that were crap... other companies got bought out and consolidated and now their amps cheap Chinese crap.. i had a guy once tell me that the rule of thumb was $1 a watt... i could accuse him of lying.. but at the same time.. if i paid $500 for a 500 watt zapco amp from him back in 1998, it would still be running strong today...

Last edited by scott0482; 01-03-2011 at 12:56 AM.
scott0482 is offline   Reply With Quote