E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #1
TR4G-

My Ride: '01 325xi
how to ACTUALLY route wires from trunk to HU???

Ok, so to begin, YES i have searched these forums. and others for that matter........

i finally have my sub box built and everything is here including my amp and wiring kit.

Every time i find some thread about wiring RCA cables, the people are like, "oh just wire the RCAs on the drivers side.........."

well i took out my rear seats {I HVE A SEDAN} and i routed the wires through the places where the stock wires are and then i run into a problem........

how is it physically possible to wire these into this car???? one dude was like, yo use a coat hanger. bullshit, not a chance i can use a coathanger to wire RCAs under the door sills?>

first of all, you cant even pull the carpet back that far because of the center area being connected.....

secondly, even with the rear door plastic sill off, i still have to then magically route the wires from there under the side B pillar and then under the drivers door plastic sill AND THEN up behind the dash??!?!?!

has anyone actually done this and taken pictures because the people that say they have, have honestly given me pretty poor advice. Thats why i ask y'all.

Can anyone help me out?!
TR4G- is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
It can and has been done, this may help........
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=805462&page=2
Old 01-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
thejames

My Ride: e46 330ci Coupe Auto
It's surprisingly easy. Glovebox out, and tuck wires under sill. No need to remove them or any carpet.
thejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
TR4G-

thanks friend. but wow, all his interior carpet it gone! this is gonna be pretty tough to do

EDIT: shouldnt you run the wires on the drivers side to avoid engine noise though?
Old 01-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
miaM7

My Ride: 04 325i Sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4G- View Post
thanks friend. but wow, all his interior carpet it gone! this is gonna be pretty tough to do

EDIT: shouldnt you run the wires on the drivers side to avoid engine noise though?
Yes, you're right. I also will be routing cables to the front. Driver side or center. But dnt now how ... I guess i'll figure it out when i get to it.
miaM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #6
dtrog325i

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i
I haven't dont this in my BMW, but when I had my Nissan Xterra, it was VERY easy. In the Xterra all I had to do was take out the driver side door panels and ALL the carpet came up. I just peeled back the carpet and it was super easy to run the wire to the HU. Since a BMW is a lot more complex than an Xterra, I would jsut have it done professionally. That way you have someone doing it who does it for a living and knows what they're doing
dtrog325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
TR4G-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrog325i View Post
I haven't dont this in my BMW, but when I had my Nissan Xterra, it was VERY easy. In the Xterra all I had to do was take out the driver side door panels and ALL the carpet came up. I just peeled back the carpet and it was super easy to run the wire to the HU. Since a BMW is a lot more complex than an Xterra, I would jsut have it done professionally. That way you have someone doing it who does it for a living and knows what they're doing
thats probly a good idea, but i have this car for a living so i want to know EVERYTHING about it. I was looking around yesterday and im pretty sure i can route them. Ill let yall know how it goes!
Old 01-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
dtrog325i

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i
Thats a good reason. I am getting a sub in my skipass in a month or two. I am going to do the instalation of the sub itself, but have a professional do the wire routing. I will probably just watch them as they do it so I can learn how they did it in my car
dtrog325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:09 AM   #9
codyfunk

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Ummm....if you don't know how to run wires, do you know how to properly build a sub box to spec? Just curious, would love to see photos
codyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:10 AM   #10
codyfunk

No hate, just question.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:02 PM   #11
TR4G-

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyfunk View Post
Ummm....if you don't know how to run wires, do you know how to properly build a sub box to spec? Just curious, would love to see photos
Well I happened to take photos of the build. Here ya go: I used mdf, carpenters glue, caulk, and non hardening rope caulk to seal the speaker in:

Box is made, and sounds very impressive. It's a tad more than .75 cubic feet, which is the optimal size for my sub in a sealed enclosure.

I have the wires completely hidden save the drivers side door sill and the foot rest. Any one know how to pry these guys off/remove them?
Old 01-07-2011, 12:19 PM   #12
thejames

My Ride: e46 330ci Coupe Auto
Looks solid.

The sills slide off apparently.

I recently had to run a bunch of wires from front to back and there was no need to remove the sill at all. Just push up and under and tuck the wires in. There's a void underneath that they slot into nicely.
thejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:23 PM   #13
TR4G-

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejames View Post
Looks solid.

The sills slide off apparently.

I recently had to run a bunch of wires from front to back and there was no need to remove the sill at all. Just push up and under and tuck the wires in. There's a void underneath that they slot into nicely.
Ok cool. The drivers door sill is very smoothly on there and with the foot rest im going to try and remove them. Is this sort of thing covered in the service manual? I'm thinking of getting one but if it doesn't cover interior then that would be a shame
Old 01-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #14
codyfunk

That's particle board, that will shatter with due time.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #15
TR4G-

Quote:
That's particle board, that will shatter with due time.
It's a temporary box for the winter. I made it in a weekend. I'm going to spend a while making a custom rear deck box once the weather gets consistently warm (probs summer). It will sit flush in the rear deck!

What wood do you recommend I use for my final box this summer? And it will most likely be ported.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:33 PM   #16
Bill W

My Ride: 330ci
MDF is what most people use to build boxes.
Bill W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #17
TR4G-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill W View Post
MDF is what most people use to build boxes.
I went to home depot and asked for mdf and that's what they gave me. I though I had laminated mdf. Did they direct me to the wrong wood?
Old 01-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #18
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
MDF is a lot denser than that, the ground up particles are very fine and it makes for a VERY sturdy material, cuts a lot cleaner too. The stuff you used is a lot lighter and less dense, made of course particles. BUT you constructed it very sturdy and all the glue will keep it solid. No worries, it will work fine.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 01-07-2011 at 03:46 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #19
codyfunk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_board vs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-density_fibreboard

I would just be concerned about the box blowing apart, not necessarily the joints.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:54 PM   #20
TR4G-

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_board vs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-density_fibreboard

I would just be concerned about the box blowing apart, not necessarily the joints.
Lol. Wow there certainly is a difference! Too bad the folks at homedepot have no Idea what they are talking about. Ill be sure to grab the right stuff next time around.

However, update to the actual thread:

I managed to remove the drivers side door sill. It was secured by 4 clips that go into the chassis. The only way to get the back on is to remove them from the chassis with plyers and slide them into the slot on the sill. There is actually just one long slot so that is why you can move the sill forward and backwards when it is in place.