E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 06:38 AM   #1
clydesdale

My Ride: e30, 2004 zhp
Parrot users- I have a low level static or hiss on other end, is this normal?

I don't think it was there when I first tested it. But once I finished snaking the wire into the oem position and my wife was driving I could hear it when I was talking to her from another phone. I had her drop the panel that hides the oem mic area, therefore exposing the mic, and it did not make a bit of difference. So, I think the location is ok. When she speaks, I hear her totally fine and the static is less anoying. It is more anoying when I am speaking and she is not. I hear this low level static or hiss as the background. When she speaks, it is still there, but her voice steps over it and it is much better.
She clearly sounds like she is talking from a bluetooth device. What do you think?
clydesdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
There are a couple of threads where some users have installed a resistor in the microphone wire to eliminate background noise. I bought a card of these resistors, but have not installed one yet.

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
clydesdale

Do you get a hiss?
Old 01-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
It's very slight, but I have no problem hearing over the hiss. I think it is typical of most Bluetooth connections, but maybe the resistor will eliminate it completely.

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
clydesdale

Yeah, this hiss is a little louder than I like, but the driver is able to talk over it. When I am in the house I can hear my wife in the car just fine, but I can also hear this annoying hiss.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
Steve330ci

My Ride: 2011 328i, Jet Black
Send a message via Skype™ to Steve330ci
Replacement Mic

I used a replacement microphone when I installed my Parrot kit. I used a EGO Funkwerks mic (see pic). It is like $11, and I don't have any hiss or cave-like problems. The wife says it's the best sounding Bluetooth connection I have had.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31u8rgHpGRL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	388665  
Old 01-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
clydesdale

Talk to me Steve. You seem to keep bailing my ass out. You were a tremendous help with deciding on my blitzsafe xm setup. What made you buy this mic and is this an ebay item? $11 is certainly in even my frugal budget. Do you have a model number?
Old 01-04-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
Steve330ci

EGO replacement mic

My kit didn't come with a mic, so I had to look around for a replacement.

I found the EGO Funkwerk replacement microphone at cellular-blowout.com for $11, but I just checked and their site is down.

I searched on eBay for "EGO replacement microphone" and there is a seller with several for ~ $18. Be sure to get the one with the wire, as they also sell the small mic just by itself.

Instead of placing it in the overhead panel, I have the mic dangling from the driver's side of the overhead panel. It's so small, it is not obtrusive at all IMO.

Hope this helps you out.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #9
clydesdale

Thanks Steve. What made you choose that mic? Do you know if it is an upgrade from the parrot mic or did you match the specs, or did you just roll the dice on what mic to get. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #10
Steve330ci

I looked around and saw a few replacement mic's, but decided I didn't want to pay $50, so I rolled the dice and got the EGO mic. Like I said before, I have not had any issues with it.

Steve
Old 01-05-2011, 06:17 AM   #11
clydesdale

Thanks man.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:40 AM   #12
Steve330ci

You're welcome. Let us know what you end up doing and if it works out.

Steve
Old 01-05-2011, 03:29 PM   #13
clydesdale

I will Steve. I just spoke with my wife, who was driving in the car. I friggin hate the hiss. It is fairly annoying. I asked her to drop the panel and detach the mic and reposition it to dangle out side, on a short leash, on the driver's side. We will see what it is lilke later. I will look at the ego tonight or go with a resistor mod.