E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Sports Central

Sports Central
NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB, CFL, NLL, Olympics etc.....

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
Dinan e36
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Griffin's Browser History
Posts: 386
My Ride: LEXUS IS350
Send a message via AIM to Dinan e36
Andrew Luck Skipping NFL draft: Carolina Fans- U Mad?

Man is making a risky move.
__________________
Dinan e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
ZimZimma328Ci
Registered User
 
ZimZimma328Ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 2,209
My Ride: Mopar
Send a message via AIM to ZimZimma328Ci
Carolina needs more than a QB
__________________
ZimZimma328Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
huyner328
Bradolf Pittler
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: 703
Posts: 2,880
My Ride: E90 ///M3, E30 325ic
Send a message via AIM to huyner328
huyner328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
he really is risking a lot. Not only injury but look what happened to Lienhart. He was basically a lock at #1 and millions of guaranteed money and ended up going like 10th the next year and missing out on the big bonus.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #5
217Bimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 146
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
not to mention he will most certainly be entering the draft consisting of rookie salary slots. dumbass just cost himself roughly $40 million.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #6
rkhettry23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ridgewood NJ & NYC
Posts: 1,457
My Ride: Has2Turbos & X-Drive
Now a days it is foolish to "get a degree" first, if you are in this situation. You're a sure thing now, what are the chances you stay healthy and progress further?....very slim....Colleges/Universities have made it very easy to finish up classes in a situation like this after you make some money. In the old days, I would disagree because the paychecks are now 100X more than they used to be. People would worry about running out of money and life after sports. Now a days people get multimillion dollar signing bonuses, not to mention in many sports guaranteed money! Bottom line is, you can learn anytime in your lifetime, but to be a tier 1 professional athlete, your time frame is much smaller. (Plus the risk of injury)

And I am speaking from personal experience. I believe if my back held up I would have pitched at a D1 baseball school, but 2 spine fusions later, I realize the best (physical) years of my life are now behind me. (I'm 24) Play while you still can! I miss it everyday of my life.
__________________
-Raj
2009 535i w/X-Drive

2002 325xi--Parted Out
rkhettry23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #7
makecopies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 1600 Penn. Ave
Posts: 1,806
My Ride: Gods Chariot
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyllos View Post
he really is risking a lot. Not only injury but look what happened to lienhart. He was basically a lock at #1 and millions of guaranteed money and ended up going like 10th the next year and missing out on the big bonus.
+123456789
makecopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #8
Dinan e36
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Griffin's Browser History
Posts: 386
My Ride: LEXUS IS350
Send a message via AIM to Dinan e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhettry23 View Post
Now a days it is foolish to "get a degree" first, if you are in this situation. You're a sure thing now, what are the chances you stay healthy and progress further?....very slim....Colleges/Universities have made it very easy to finish up classes in a situation like this after you make some money. In the old days, I would disagree because the paychecks are now 100X more than they used to be. People would worry about running out of money and life after sports. Now a days people get multimillion dollar signing bonuses, not to mention in many sports guaranteed money! Bottom line is, you can learn anytime in your lifetime, but to be a tier 1 professional athlete, your time frame is much smaller. (Plus the risk of injury)

And I am speaking from personal experience. I believe if my back held up I would have pitched at a D1 baseball school, but 2 spine fusions later, I realize the best (physical) years of my life are now behind me. (I'm 24) Play while you still can! I miss it everyday of my life.
Yea i hope Harbaugh will tell him the right thing to do
__________________
Dinan e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #9
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
not to mention he will most certainly be entering the draft consisting of rookie salary slots. dumbass just cost himself roughly $40 million.
exactly, the new cba is going to effect the rookie bonuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhettry23 View Post
Now a days it is foolish to "get a degree" first, if you are in this situation. You're a sure thing now, what are the chances you stay healthy and progress further?....very slim....Colleges/Universities have made it very easy to finish up classes in a situation like this after you make some money. In the old days, I would disagree because the paychecks are now 100X more than they used to be. People would worry about running out of money and life after sports. Now a days people get multimillion dollar signing bonuses, not to mention in many sports guaranteed money! Bottom line is, you can learn anytime in your lifetime, but to be a tier 1 professional athlete, your time frame is much smaller. (Plus the risk of injury)

And I am speaking from personal experience. I believe if my back held up I would have pitched at a D1 baseball school, but 2 spine fusions later, I realize the best (physical) years of my life are now behind me. (I'm 24) Play while you still can! I miss it everyday of my life.
very true.

I think he's making a terrible mistake based on emotions. Just give this guy a vagina.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #10
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan e36 View Post
Yea i hope Harbaugh will tell him the right thing to do
he made up his mind.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #11
Carskibum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hoboken, NJ
Posts: 3,116
My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
But isnt this smarter if there is a strike?
__________________
Carskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #12
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carskibum View Post
But isnt this smarter if there is a strike?
I don't really know man. Mike Golic just called in to the Scott Van Pelt show and was saying how it doesn't make sense. According to them he's turning down money no matter what happens with a strike. I haven't even heard that mentioned yet.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #13
Scumballer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: St Louis
Posts: 101
My Ride: 02 325i
i wonder who theyll take instead? blaine gabbert?
Scumballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #14
DME46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ high school girls' bathrooms.
Posts: 255
My Ride: has free candy.
Maybe he doesn't want to play football all his life?

Some people value their education more than sports and money and fame.





















I'd rather be a star at Stanford than a star at a sh1tty NFL team. Panthers need more than a franchise QB.

__________________

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
all this pain is an illusion
DME46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #15
wrighterjw10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Palmyra (Hershey), PA
Posts: 459
My Ride: 2002 330ci
1. rookie payscale will fvck him

2. someone might have traded up for him, never know.

3. ask jake locker how going back worked out.

4. stike/holdout, get your money NOW

5. if he blows out his knee, i'm gonna fly to CA and punch him in the c0ck.
__________________
wrighterjw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:30 PM   #16
huyner328
Bradolf Pittler
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: 703
Posts: 2,880
My Ride: E90 ///M3, E30 325ic
Send a message via AIM to huyner328
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighterjw10 View Post

5. if he blows out his knee, i'm gonna fly to CA and punch him in the c0ck with my mouth.
Fixed
huyner328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #17
King of Chicago
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 394
My Ride: '09 & '12 Acura MDX
take the money and run. if you really want to help your college, go back and coach after you are set for life.
King of Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #18
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by DME46 View Post
Maybe he doesn't want to play football all his life?

Some people value their education more than sports and money and fame.


I'd rather be a star at Stanford than a star at a sh1tty NFL team. Panthers need more than a franchise QB.

but education can get achieved while you're a millionaire. There's just too much risk to stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighterjw10 View Post
1. rookie payscale will fvck him

2. someone might have traded up for him, never know.

3. ask jake locker how going back worked out.

4. stike/holdout, get your money NOW

5. if he blows out his knee, i'm gonna fly to CA and punch him in the c0ck.
So are you saying the current scale will still be in affect if he signed this spring/fall rather than doing it a year from then when the new cba is in place.

That's the thing i'm not sure of. It sounds like he is losing out on the current contracts, not the supposed new one.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #19
Carskibum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hoboken, NJ
Posts: 3,116
My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I don't really know man. Mike Golic just called in to the Scott Van Pelt show and was saying how it doesn't make sense. According to them he's turning down money no matter what happens with a strike. I haven't even heard that mentioned yet.
I feel like he might be thinking and in this order:

1. Finish up with a stanford Degree(just in case)
2. With the strike looming... what might happen?

I don't think it's the right choice but I could see it being his rational.
__________________
Carskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #20
Green_Shine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North
Posts: 373
My Ride: Back seat riding
He's like all college kids, if you have a chance to put off the real world for another year...Jump on it lol
__________________
Green_Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use