E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Doug's Random Advice

So, as I was driving yesterday, realizing that I haven't used my radio in years (except for Tunnel traffic)...and ever since my ET blew up, haven't bothered hooking up my shuffle (with crappy fm transmitter)...I thought that I should write a post suggesting this:

Turn off your radio and listen to your car.

And, with winter coming around the bend, it's also a good time to:
*open up the hood
*check level/condition of fluids
*look around with good led flashlight
*get under car and do the same...and if you don't have ramps or a lift, just drive onto a curb (no, not that way you moron...the easy way!).

Anyway, we hear of so many issues that I think would be somewhat minimized if you listened to your car...she should be singing...and if not, she's telling you something you should hear!

...and finally, I've been getting lots of PMs from fanatics who think I know stuff...and I am really complimented by them, but, if you haven't heard me write this before...I know I don't know a lot of stuff in depth...but do in breadth, comparatively speaking.

I always encourage PMers to write to General forum, and you should first, but, if you want me to generate random guesses, just ask here and I will...and if I don't know something, I promise, I'll just write authoritatively, and you won't suspect a thing...as usual!

FYI...I know this might not work out too well...knowing fanatics as I do...but want to say that this thread was prompted by a few things:

I really enjoy reading Kalim's 'garage adventure' thread and seeing the positive response it's garnered...

to ensure that those who'd otherwise PM me for whatever advice or info, get adequate 'protection' through a public inquiry...

to be entertained by those with stupid questions...especially really, really stupid questions, for which a SEARCH has proved fruitless.

Oh, and the answer to the first question is "OE"!

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30

Last edited by dmax; 10-25-2010 at 09:14 PM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:00 PM   #2
Jmanscotch

My Ride: makes my pants tight
1st question: What brand of parts sould I get for my cooling system overhaul?

Note: Seriously though, should be fun

Last edited by Jmanscotch; 10-25-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Jmanscotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:06 PM   #3
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmanscotch View Post
1st question: What brand of parts sould I get for my cooling system overhaul?
Jman,

I think you should mix and match the cooling system parts randomly. If an OE manufacturer had a bad day, then the part might not quite fit...but if you then match it with a cheap hose made in China, then you might be able to squeeze it onto the other part, no problem.

Also, you can find some clear coolant at Autozone for like $5...and blue food coloring for about $1 from any supermarket. Mix them...and save about $15 over the cost of the magical OE coolant everyone talks about like it's holy water.

Thanks for playing...hope that answered your question as expected! Was really only kidding about OE stuff! Most of the parts we need we can make ourselves with some old kids' toys, a blowtorch, and a hand made mold.

Also, Jman...I'm sensing that your left front tire is about a 1/4 lb. low...let me know if I'm right!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

Old 10-25-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
HellRaiser1

My Ride: 2004 M3
Thanks Doug, I've always enjoyed reading all your posts and see you as the 'father' of e46 maintenance. Thanks for your help and your passion on our vehicles! I myself don't post as much, but lurk often, leaching off knowledge off others posts/concerns/advice.

This is a stupid random question/statement, but it really really bothers me so it's not stupid to me. I'm really anal and meticulous about my car's conditions and maintenance. I'm sure to get rid of every little annoyance or update the car may need.

With that said; my suspension is pretty flawless: 8k old springs/dampers, new fca's and fcab's, slapping on new rtabs this weekend, new tie rods, new swaybars, new steering knuckle, new brakes/pads etc. Wheels are in great condition, as are tires with good tread and proper PSI. BUT.... The car pulls ever so slightly to the right. I mean, it is almost invisible to the normal person or passenger. But I notice it and that's all that matters. It has to be less than a hairline (1mm or so) that the steering wheel is asymmetrical and it drives me CrAzY.

...alignment? Suck it up and spend the 100 or so on an alignment? What else could it be, I wonder.

THANKS for your bountiful words of wisdom!!

Last edited by HellRaiser1; 10-25-2010 at 10:11 PM.
HellRaiser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:35 PM   #5
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaiser1 View Post
Thanks Doug, I've always enjoyed reading all your posts and see you as the 'father' of e46 maintenance. Thanks for your help and your passion on our vehicles! I myself don't post as much, but lurk often, leaching off knowledge off others posts/concerns/advice.

This is a stupid random question/statement, but it really really bothers me so it's not stupid to me. I'm really anal and meticulous about my car's conditions and maintenance. I'm sure to get rid of every little annoyance or update the car may need.

With that said; my suspension is pretty flawless: 8k old springs/dampers, new fca's and fcab's, slapping on new rtabs this weekend, new tie rods, new swaybars, new steering knuckle, new brakes/pads etc. Wheels are in great condition, as are tires with good tread and proper PSI. BUT.... The car pulls ever so slightly to the right. I mean, it is almost invisible to the normal person or passenger. But I notice it and that's all that matters. It has to be less than a hairline (1mm or so) that the steering wheel is asymmetrical and it drives me CrAzY.

...alignment? Suck it up and spend the 100 or so on an alignment? What else could it be, I wonder.

THANKS for your bountiful words of wisdom!!

I just read a post recently that I think might be spot on for you. There's only one part of our car that might cause a slight push to the right. Remove your driver side wiper blade and turn it upside down. If it's not mounted properly, the, the, what's my part's guy Benn call it (that deflector thing) is creating excess high pressure and pushing you over!

Srs answer now (this won't be fun...expect it to be long too...but maybe not)...

Since you got tons of new stuff up front and down under, I know you got an alignment...and the wheel might not have been perfectly centered (harder to do than you think...and many cars have a slight 'dead' spot in the center (I do...but don't tell anyone...maybe a 1/4-1/2" of play (for me, might be steering rack...might be CAs...which might actually be original...but I like them anyway!).

Since the steering wheel is off by a mm when you think it's centered, that might mean that the toe is just slightly off...might mean...

Almost all roads are curved down to the side, so you'd expect the car to drop somewhat down to that side...that's just gravity and might not bespeak an issue. But, you know, there's a tolerance on all alignments...and frankly, getting any shop to actually follow the TIS and put 450 lbs of sand in your car is not easy. (Yes, I forced my shop into doing this for me! Actually, I was the sand in the driver's seat...and some old wheels were in the rear!)

So, slight alignment issue might be it...curve in road might be it..and also, with your need for RTABs getting replaced, I 'believe' that those, if worn slightly differently (and you'd expect that just from the torque of the engine), that might be creating a push over also.

Anyway, it might just be an artifact of roads...and I think you could compensate for that by increasing toe, but then sacrificing tire wear.

Oh, one other thought...although you say your tire pressures are the same...a very tiny bit different pressure would steer the car...either in front or rear...so maybe, if you don't have a really good gauge...as in one that costs at least $20 (I have a 18 year old VDO gauge that cost $30 at the time...and know I can get to a hair's width accuracy...don't want to give a number...but at least a 1/10 lb easily)...that might be all it is for you.

If wheel straightness bothers you...get the alignment after rtabs...and have them adjust tie rod to straighten wheel...and bring mechs espresso, donuts, and bring a hot girl with you so they'll want you back with her again and do it right (hopefully, they won't think of doing it wrong to get you back!).

Oh, you have weight evenly distributed in trunk? How much is in your drug bin? Maybe you should loose weight or have fat friend sit in rear pass side...or just pick up random heavy people?

How'd I do, you think?

D

Last edited by dmax; 10-25-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
Jmanscotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Jman,

I think you should mix and match the cooling system parts randomly. If an OE manufacturer had a bad day, then the part might not quite fit...but if you then match it with a cheap hose made in China, then you might be able to squeeze it onto the other part, no problem.

Also, you can find some clear coolant at Autozone for like $5...and blue food coloring for about $1 from any supermarket. Mix them...and save about $15 over the cost of the magical OE coolant everyone talks about like it's holy water.

Thanks for playing...hope that answered your question as expected! Was really only kidding about OE stuff! Most of the parts we need we can make ourselves with some old kids' toys, a blowtorch, and a hand made mold.

Also, Jman...I'm sensing that your left front tire is about a 1/4 lb. low...let me know if I'm right!
Well, almost. Right front was low at 19 psi yesterday...waited a few months between checking it, woops.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:31 AM   #7
Drew@Swift Motorworks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Scooty Puff Jr
I cant Doug... I just cant read everything on this page
Drew@Swift Motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:50 AM   #8
HellRaiser1

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:

Srs answer now (this won't be fun...expect it to be long too...but maybe not)...

Since you got tons of new stuff up front and down under, I know you got an alignment...and the wheel might not have been perfectly centered (harder to do than you think...and many cars have a slight 'dead' spot in the center (I do...but don't tell anyone...maybe a 1/4-1/2" of play (for me, might be steering rack...might be CAs...which might actually be original...but I like them anyway!).

Since the steering wheel is off by a mm when you think it's centered, that might mean that the toe is just slightly off...might mean...

Oh, one other thought...although you say your tire pressures are the same...a very tiny bit different pressure would steer the car...either in front or rear...so maybe, if you don't have a really good gauge...as in one that costs at least $20 (I have a 18 year old VDO gauge that cost $30 at the time...and know I can get to a hair's width accuracy...don't want to give a number...but at least a 1/10 lb easily)...that might be all it is for you.

If wheel straightness bothers you...get the alignment after rtabs...and have them adjust tie rod to straighten wheel...and bring mechs espresso, donuts, and bring a hot girl with you so they'll want you back with her again and do it right (hopefully, they won't think of doing it wrong to get you back!).

Oh, you have weight evenly distributed in trunk? How much is in your drug bin? Maybe you should loose weight or have fat friend sit in rear pass side...or just pick up random heavy people?

How'd I do, you think?

D
Thanks for the thoughtful, lengthy reply. After RTABS, I will have my local e46 shop to have my alignment done properly. I will also buy a more accurate pressure gauge as my pen-style gas station gauge definitely doesn't cut it for precision/accuracy. You're right, PSI definitely plays a big role.
HellRaiser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:12 AM   #9
Suaveflooder

My Ride: 04 M3
HAHAHA! This thread is full of win!!
Old 10-26-2010, 02:33 AM   #10
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
When I drive around town I always listen to radio (catching up on news- I hate TV), BUT I turn it off briefly whenever they use some funny effects in background- just to make sure it's the radio making the noise, not my car.
This happens a few times a week.

Last edited by Megalocnus; 10-26-2010 at 02:47 AM.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:53 AM   #11
Lusticles

My Ride: 325Ci
I actually listen to my car a lot. I think that I tend to hear noises that aren't actually there -- almost like a hypochondriac.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:00 AM   #12
Drew@Swift Motorworks
Past Site Sponsor

okay I finally caved and read it.

Okay I have a question... may sound kind of noob ;eeps

So I had this mechanic tell me my control arms needed replacement, well I dont fully trust this guy... kind of a scammer. In fact he sent me out of his shop with lug nuts he hadnt tightened down. When I started to drive out of the parking lot I noticed a weird noise, so I went back and asked him. His response was oh well your control arm bushings are worn

Well I know my control arm bushings, and I know there is no visible rubber deterioration, also when the car is up and you try to wiggle the hub there's no movement. Ive replaced other car's bushings before so I know mine are barely worn, if at all. So they are definitely not the problem. I say whatever to the guy and get my car home. Over the course of the mile or two it takes to drive home im feeling strange things going on with the car. It fights when I turn to the right and makes a horrible noise. Not good! So when I get the car home I go to get it up in the air and when I go to take the driver's side front wheel off I notice only one of the lugs is tightened down All the other ones are about to fall out. I was soo pissed.

Long story short, I dont trust a word this mechanic says after his failure to tighten down my wheel. But he said my control arms were gone. I asked him if it was the ball joints and he said no, just the arm itself, so im wondering if you have suggestions on a way to test. I think Kalim already mentioned some possible symptoms of the arms going out and I didnt have any of them
Old 10-26-2010, 05:02 AM   #13
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
whoa whoa whoa.

Doug, none of us appreciate your shameless advertising in here

Old 10-26-2010, 07:28 AM   #14
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewdown View Post
okay I finally caved and read it.

Okay I have a question... may sound kind of noob ;eeps

So I had this mechanic tell me my control arms needed replacement, well I dont fully trust this guy... kind of a scammer. In fact he sent me out of his shop with lug nuts he hadnt tightened down. When I started to drive out of the parking lot I noticed a weird noise, so I went back and asked him. His response was oh well your control arm bushings are worn

Well I know my control arm bushings, and I know there is no visible rubber deterioration, also when the car is up and you try to wiggle the hub there's no movement. Ive replaced other car's bushings before so I know mine are barely worn, if at all. So they are definitely not the problem. I say whatever to the guy and get my car home. Over the course of the mile or two it takes to drive home im feeling strange things going on with the car. It fights when I turn to the right and makes a horrible noise. Not good! So when I get the car home I go to get it up in the air and when I go to take the driver's side front wheel off I notice only one of the lugs is tightened down All the other ones are about to fall out. I was soo pissed.

Long story short, I dont trust a word this mechanic says after his failure to tighten down my wheel. But he said my control arms were gone. I asked him if it was the ball joints and he said no, just the arm itself, so im wondering if you have suggestions on a way to test. I think Kalim already mentioned some possible symptoms of the arms going out and I didnt have any of them
F, Drew...a mech that can't tighten lugs? My initial reaction is that you first need to report him to the BBB and second, do what you can on the Interweb to make sure you let folks know. You'll have many local 'auto repair' finding websites--local, yahoo, etc.--and you owe it to yourself and others to mention that he did this.

Although I know the laws are that no one is allowed in shop, that there is a big 'tell' right away for me...it happened to another guy here who got a virus and nails put in his car. So, for whatever reason, the guy doesn't want you back, I don't want you back, and you certainly don't want to go back.

On the CAs themselves:

You have AM CAs with serviceable ball joints? If not, the only way the 'arm' would be bad is if it was bent, and the only way that would happen is if someone towed from it (would also mess up bushings)...jack standed under it (and even then, doubtful it would bend...so you'd have to see a bend.

I'm sure this is a cast piece of metal and incredibly strong...and think it would crack, not bend under massive strike (but on this I could be wrong). I call BS. Suspect Kalim's explanation of how to test the arms probably is to test the ball joints and the bushing...the arm, as I said, is either bent, cracked, or it's fine.

Since you can't trust this mechanic at all...I wonder if the lugs were intentional, and he expected you to turn around, leave the car with him so he could charge you $700 for new control arms (you'd have to leave the car), while he tightens 8 lugs (both wheels loose or just one?).

Criminal...and I don't mean that euphemistically!

Sorry...I know you didn't read all that coz you have studying to do, and smileys to send to socal chat! LOL But also, I have this image in my head...

If you're like a really huge black guy, I think I might go back and tell him that your car feels really loose after you got it back. When he says that you should leave it and come back...tell him you don't have time...that you have to leave for a trip to Oregon today, but will get back to him as soon as you return. "Uh, no, just give me a few mins. to check things out for ya," he'll say.

Now, I can't decide if giving him the time and videotaping him going right to the lugs...or just telling him that you have to leave now...and leave...is better. I'm leaning to the latter. Then, maybe, you send him an e-mail in a few days with a picture you find of a totaled e46 your model/color...and tell him your wheels fell off and that he'll be hearing from your attorney. The guy deserves pay back (but if he's a frightening looking moron...might be risky...so just do the Interweb attack!)

HTH

Doug

Old 10-26-2010, 07:32 AM   #15
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
whoa whoa whoa.

Doug, none of us appreciate your shameless advertising in here

Okay, Buddy, you can leave my thread and don't ever come back! If you'd just playfully teased like what's his name up above, that'd be different...but this is below the belt.

The invoices I sent Jman, HellRaiser, and Drew are all exceedingly fair for the time I've taken to learn all I have and write!

Step off or step up!

No stupid questions, Mike? Surely you could come up with something? I'm pretty good in a variety of areas...broadly speaking...and deeply speaking...I've cave explored and been diving...maybe you need some advice there?

D

Old 10-26-2010, 07:39 AM   #16
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusticles View Post
I actually listen to my car a lot. I think that I tend to hear noises that aren't actually there -- almost like a hypochondriac.
A little bit of paranoia is good when you're in a hunk of machine that weighs 3200 lbs and moves at 80 mph (more or less)!

Anyway, you could also take a variety of pills for that. Since you're almost like a hypochondriac, you should take pills that are 'almost' for that.

D

Old 10-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #17
Drew@Swift Motorworks
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
F, Drew...a mech that can't tighten lugs? My initial reaction is that you first need to report him to the BBB and second, do what you can on the Interweb to make sure you let folks know. You'll have many local 'auto repair' finding websites--local, yahoo, etc.--and you owe it to yourself and others to mention that he did this.

Although I know the laws are that no one is allowed in shop, that there is a big 'tell' right away for me...it happened to another guy here who got a virus and nails put in his car. So, for whatever reason, the guy doesn't want you back, I don't want you back, and you certainly don't want to go back.

On the CAs themselves:

You have AM CAs with serviceable ball joints? If not, the only way the 'arm' would be bad is if it was bent, and the only way that would happen is if someone towed from it (would also mess up bushings)...jack standed under it (and even then, doubtful it would bend...so you'd have to see a bend.

I'm sure this is a cast piece of metal and incredibly strong...and think it would crack, not bend under massive strike (but on this I could be wrong). I call BS. Suspect Kalim's explanation of how to test the arms probably is to test the ball joints and the bushing...the arm, as I said, is either bent, cracked, or it's fine.

Since you can't trust this mechanic at all...I wonder if the lugs were intentional, and he expected you to turn around, leave the car with him so he could charge you $700 for new control arms (you'd have to leave the car), while he tightens 8 lugs (both wheels loose or just one?).

Criminal...and I don't mean that euphemistically!

Sorry...I know you didn't read all that coz you have studying to do, and smileys to send to socal chat! LOL But also, I have this image in my head...

If you're like a really huge black guy, I think I might go back and tell him that your car feels really loose after you got it back. When he says that you should leave it and come back...tell him you don't have time...that you have to leave for a trip to Oregon today, but will get back to him as soon as you return. "Uh, no, just give me a few mins. to check things out for ya," he'll say.

Now, I can't decide if giving him the time and videotaping him going right to the lugs...or just telling him that you have to leave now...and leave...is better. I'm leaning to the latter. Then, maybe, you send him an e-mail in a few days with a picture you find of a totaled e46 your model/color...and tell him your wheels fell off and that he'll be hearing from your attorney. The guy deserves pay back (but if he's a frightening looking moron...might be risky...so just do the Interweb attack!)

HTH

Doug

Yeah well the only reason my car was in his shop was to reset adaptations etc. (all the computer stuff I cant do at home). He went ahead and did an inspection too. This was about a month ago. Im kind of over it. He's a jerk but Im never going back there. I doubt it was intentional. When he reset the adaptations he actually told me its best not to baby it while its just relearning the driving patterns etc. So he recommended I go out "drive it hard"

Anywho, about the arms. No theyre not aftermarket. Theyre stock, and they have racked up 120,000 miles. But like I said I havent seen or felt any signs of wear. So say the arm is bent though, how would one tell? ... would you be able to see the bend or would it be hard to detect

Last edited by Drew@Swift Motorworks; 10-26-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:49 PM   #18
Jmanscotch

Quote:
Okay, Buddy, you can leave my thread and don't ever come back! If you'd just playfully teased like what's his name up above, that'd be different...but this is below the belt.

The invoices I sent Jman, HellRaiser, and Drew are all exceedingly fair for the time I've taken to learn all I have and write!

Step off or step up!

No stupid questions, Mike? Surely you could come up with something? I'm pretty good in a variety of areas...broadly speaking...and deeply speaking...I've cave explored and been diving...maybe you need some advice there?

D
I can confirm that he ONLY charges what his advice is worth, usually around $.0200
Old 10-26-2010, 04:52 PM   #19
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Nice thread, Doug! Glad my thread prompted this one, though of course, it was you that prompted that one, so all the blame goes to you anyway, haha.

Btw, I never turn my radio on, either. Why bother when I have a 24 valve symphony under the hood?

I have some questions for you Doug: What do you do for a living? How did you end up there and what other occupations did you have along the way? What advice would you give the younger members on the forum along the lines of career/occupation?

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:13 PM   #20
Roxlo

My Ride: e46 325i
Quote:
Almost all roads are curved down to the side, so you'd expect the car to drop somewhat down to that side...

Yup, pretty much all highways are banked to avoid water filling up and making everyone hydroplane, and to provide better handling.

Quote:

Okay...are you one of those morons I hoped would post? You don't have a rocket booster on your car. That's an indicator light that one of your rear lights is out...and if you're that stupid that you think you have a rocket booster...sorry...two rocket boosters...then let me explain what a light is...it's something that isn't heavy...so look for something light in the back...if it's heavy, you've got the wrong thing.
You're a moron, everyone knows e46s come standard with unlockable rocket boosters. Your right rocket booster is out because you need to enter the cheat code again every now and then.

Last edited by Roxlo; 10-26-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Roxlo is offline   Reply With Quote