E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 11:36 PM   #1
cmpcpro

My Ride: 2000 Mercedes S430
Installation Advice for Dynavin Unit Learned the Hard Way

I guess I could have posted this in one of the many Dynavin posts but they're not mine and I don't want to barge in with my advice.. tonight is the second time I have had to take my unit out of the dash because the drivers side front speaker has stopped working.. the metal connectors for that speaker alone seem to come undone after a week or so of normal use.. I thought the first time it may have been because I had to really jam the unit in and the wires could have been pulled out from the force but the second time I tried something new and got it in there pretty easily and it still did it.. I tried pinching the connector with pliars which did make it tight but I didn't trust it so I used electrical tape and wrapped all the connectors together in a tight loom so none of them can work their way loose again.. just thought I would share this so nobody else has to rip their unit out and spend twenty minutes playing with wires to get it back in..
cmpcpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:49 AM   #2
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Yet again another Dynavin related thread by cmpcpro who just doesn't seem to comprehend

Last edited by Darkoz; 01-22-2011 at 12:51 AM.
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:26 AM   #3
cmpcpro

I thought about adding it to someone's other Dynavin post but I've wasted almost two hours ripping this thing out and back out because of these connectors.. if I can help someone else from not having to go through this I don't really care if I clutter the board up a little I am doing this to HELP others.. anyway I am done arguing over something so stupid.. this is what the forums are for if you don't like the clutter I don't know what to tell you.. adding to threads with thousands of posts is stupid.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:42 AM   #4
Darkoz

Just bloody post in the official Dynavin thread, what part of that don't you understand??

Oh and um you wouldn't be the first choice if someone was looking for help

Oh and let me correct your statement.....
Quote:
but I've wasted almost two hours ripping this thing out and back out because I have no idea what I'm doing

Last edited by Darkoz; 01-22-2011 at 01:44 AM.
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:46 AM   #5
cmpcpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
Just bloody post in the official Dynavin thread, what part of that don't you understand??

Yes, you're right I have no idea what I am doing and that is why the cheap metal connections came undone, and keep in mind just one connector, not any of the other ones.. yes my fault.. I posted this to help others.. hopefully someone will see the title of my thread and wrap some electrical tape around the connections so they don't pull out.. I figured posting a new thread would be better than adding to a huge thread so people searching on Dynavin will see this and I can save them some headache.. you bash on me for trying to help people? (Smart comeback smiley would be perfect here)

Last edited by cmpcpro; 01-22-2011 at 02:49 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #6
Evap

My Ride: rubs tires
Why wouldn't you tape the connections up in the first place? I've always done this during my installs to protect the plugs and make sure they don't come undone. I thought it was common practise.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
cmpcpro,

I understand what you think you are doing by posting all of these threads but you need to understand you are making things HARDER for people to find. Instead of having one thread that is 50 pages long you are creating 50 threads that are 1 page long.....This may help if someone searches for the exact terms you use but if someone searches for "Dynavin" they will now get all of your posts with the Dynavin Info thread and the FAQ (and all the answers they contain) now buried in the middle of all of your stuff. Ive already seen the damage with people calling me asking me questions that are answered right in the Dynavin Info thread but they said they didnt see that thread...too much clutter they say...thats not good for the community, dynavin owners, (or my business)

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 01-22-2011 at 09:41 AM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:34 AM   #8
BobSC

My Ride: 01 330Cic, 07 750Li
Quote:

While I think you add a lot to the Dynavin threads and seem to be very knowledgable about them.......I have to say you don't sound quite so smart when you respond to people like this. Everybody's skill level is different as is their frustration level. You need to lighten up and if this guys threads bother you....ignore them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
cmpcpro,

I understand what you think you are doing by posting all of these threads but you need to understand you are making things HARDER for people to find. Instead of having one thread that is 50 pages long you are creating 50 threads that are 1 page long.....This may help if someone searches for the exact terms you use but if someone searches for "Dynavin" they will now get all of your posts with the Dynavin Info thread and the FAQ (and all the answers they contain) now buried in the middle of all of your stuff. Ive already seen the damage with people calling me asking me questions that are answered right in the Dynavin Info thread but they said they didnt see that thread...too much clutter they say...thats not good for the community, dynavin owners, (or my business)
Jeff, I have read your Dynavin threads multiple times and I think your provide and excellent service and expertise to us Dyanvin users. And while I agree with your statement above, I will also say that the existing threads are very long and cumbersome. I have seached them numerous times for specific answers and while they are probably in there somewhere...can be difficult to find at times. I'm sure you get that as well.....

2007 750Li (Sold)
2001 330Cic
2000 328i(Sold)
2004 X3
2012 X3
2012 750Li
BobSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:14 AM   #9
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSC View Post

Jeff, I have read your Dynavin threads multiple times and I think your provide and excellent service and expertise to us Dyanvin users. And while I agree with your statement above, I will also say that the existing threads are very long and cumbersome. I have seached them numerous times for specific answers and while they are probably in there somewhere...can be difficult to find at times. I'm sure you get that as well.....
Absolutely.....and that is why I originally compiled all of the scattered huge dynavin threads into the Dynavin Info thread. And then compiled all of the questions into the FAQ. And now those threads have gotten huge......BUT......although I didnt get everything, I did get 98% of the info into the first posts of those threads. As I have said before, people dont have to read the whole things, just read the first post in each thread and their answers will almost surely be found. Starting new threads for every issue further clutters an already massive amount of posts, and if your intention really is to help, then make the thread title indicative of the contents of the thread....look at the title of this thread, then do a search on the forum for "dynavin" ....see what I mean?

My point is that a couple months ago a person could come here, search for "dynavin" and immediately see a couple of threads that were clearly identified and full of info. Now if they search for "dynavin" they are going to get a couple dozen threads like this one and hopefully find the helpfull threads before they give up.

This is a public forum and Im not a mod so I dont get a say in the way things go.....but I can ask that that users try to respect what we are trying to do here, some of the members here (darkoz and myself included) have put months of work into compiling and creating a comprehensive knowledgebase to make things easier for everyone.....and although it is for everyones benefit, lately it seems to be an uphill battle.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 01-22-2011 at 11:31 AM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:34 PM   #10
cmpcpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
Absolutely.....and that is why I originally compiled all of the scattered huge dynavin threads into the Dynavin Info thread. And then compiled all of the questions into the FAQ. And now those threads have gotten huge......BUT......although I didnt get everything, I did get 98% of the info into the first posts of those threads. As I have said before, people dont have to read the whole things, just read the first post in each thread and their answers will almost surely be found. Starting new threads for every issue further clutters an already massive amount of posts, and if your intention really is to help, then make the thread title indicative of the contents of the thread....look at the title of this thread, then do a search on the forum for "dynavin" ....see what I mean?

My point is that a couple months ago a person could come here, search for "dynavin" and immediately see a couple of threads that were clearly identified and full of info. Now if they search for "dynavin" they are going to get a couple dozen threads like this one and hopefully find the helpfull threads before they give up.

This is a public forum and Im not a mod so I dont get a say in the way things go.....but I can ask that that users try to respect what we are trying to do here, some of the members here (darkoz and myself included) have put months of work into compiling and creating a comprehensive knowledgebase to make things easier for everyone.....and although it is for everyones benefit, lately it seems to be an uphill battle.
Jeff,

You've been great with all the information you've given, so has Darkoz, and you're posts do show alot of different information, and while being the majority of info I don't think it is quite near 90%, there are probably thousands of questions people could and have asked about one item.. We all know you can search a thread but live you've stated about this post it is very hard to use the right keywords because people can word stuff a thousand ways to Sunday. I am greatful when I see a small post with a question like mine and an answer below. A thread with a problem and the answer in one post is even better. I have gotten some great information from you're threads but they are a pain to sift through with the thousand comments. This whole site is built on threads with questions and a posts with answers, and it seems to work great. I just don't see why it is better to have a few giant threads with a mess of information that is quite difficult to sift through with all the comments and questions rather than having single threads where you can hilight the title and get the first few sentances of the question and find out if it pertains to you're question.. thats atleast what I do and it works great for me.. but with these big posts I sit there trying to search for different wordings and it is a pain..

As for wrapping the connections with electrical tape I am sure it is common practice if you say so. I am not a car audio installer. I know what the wires are, how electricity works, and how everything functions but I have only put maybe 4 systems in cars in my life so I don't know many of the shortcuts or known methods.. but the systems I have put in I have soldered, I have never used these connectors.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:19 PM   #11
Darkoz

cmpcpro - The problem with your logic is that your thread titles have nothing to do with the issues you post about, so if someone is searching for a specific problem ie: "connectors on Dynavin harness" for example, the chances of them finding it are pretty slim if your thread title is "Installation Advice for Dynavin Unit Learned the Hard Way", see what I mean?

This is good advice for anyone starting a thread for any subject, make sure the thread title is specific to the subject matter, so when someone with the same problem/question is searching then they can find it easier with the appropriate key words.

As Jeff has pointed out it's easier to find info in the one thread rather than searching 100 different threads on the same subject which are buried deep somewhere in the forum, so if everyone posts in the official Dynavin thread then that thread will always be bumped up to the top where it's easily seen and found.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:33 PM   #12
cmpcpro

Quote:
cmpcpro - The problem with your logic is that your thread titles have nothing to do with the issues you post about, so if someone is searching for a specific problem ie: "connectors on Dynavin harness" for example, the chances of them finding it are pretty slim if your thread title is "Installation Advice for Dynavin Unit Learned the Hard Way", see what I mean?

This is good advice for anyone starting a thread for any subject, make sure the thread title is specific to the subject matter, so when someone with the same problem/question is searching then they can find it easier with the appropriate key words.

As Jeff has pointed out it's easier to find info in the one thread rather than searching 100 different threads on the same subject which are buried deep somewhere in the forum, so if everyone posts in the official Dynavin thread then that thread will always be bumped up to the top where it's easily seen and found.
I see what you mean about the title.. I just figured if someone was searching for Dynavin before installation they would read that and click on it and get some hopefully good advice.. I have a question though. When I try to search for answers in the Dynavin threads I get a million different posts with the same words but with totally different subjects.. is this the same for everyone and you just have to sift through it all or do you have a better way of doing it?
Old 01-23-2011, 12:12 AM   #13
Darkoz

I'm sorry cmpcpro but you're making this out to be a lot harder than it really is, when I want to learn about this or anything else I just search and read, it's as simple as that.
I don't worry about whether I need to read one post or 100 pages, I and others just do it.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:35 AM   #14
cmpcpro

Quote:
I'm sorry cmpcpro but you're making this out to be a lot harder than it really is, when I want to learn about this or anything else I just search and read, it's as simple as that.
I don't worry about whether I need to read one post or 100 pages, I and others just do it.
Actually I thought you guys were doing just that.. and if I don't have to read 100 useless pages I'd much rather NOT. Searching threads are obviously doable but it's not very streamlined.. I, at least find it easier to search and highlight threads in the results page and get a preview of what it's re-guarding to see whether it has something to do with what I'm searching..
Old 01-23-2011, 02:19 AM   #15
Darkoz

I'm done with you cmpcpro, you're obviously from a generation who wants instant gratification and everything done for you.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:54 AM   #16
Flybot

My Ride: E39 528
Flybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #17
cmpcpro

Quote:
I'm done with you cmpcpro, you're obviously from a generation who wants instant gratification and everything done for you.
Done with me.. great! So I don't have to explain my every move to you anymore? I agree with the guy above.. you obviously know a lot about this unit but the way you talk to people does make you seem.. well slow. You try to tell me I am from a generation who wants instant gratification, well one, I am from a generation who grew up without the internet and two, when we have nice features like these boards here why not use them to their fullest instead of doing things half-assed for whatever strange reason you have? If it's easier for people to search (And not just me, countless people have agreed) with multiple threads than giant single threads whats the problem? You don't like seeing multiple threads with Dynavin in the title? Does that really hurt the quality of you're life? Come on.. The General board has nothing but BMW E46 topics why don't you go up there and demand everyone use one thread for all E46 related questions.. we can do the same for the lights and wheels forums and so on.. One thread for wheels, one for lights, and so on..? If it doesn't work there why should it work here?