E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
Ctc330xi

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Vinyl car wrap?... Pros? Cons?

I was looking into wrapping my car matte black ? But I don't know too much about it. Does anyone have any input?
Ctc330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
Romanian

My Ride: 03 325i
http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-s...nyl-evo-x.html

Saw this on the evo forums a while back.

Granted its not an e46 by any means but you can get an idea of how the vinyl would look

Theres alot of info in that thread about cost, cutting preparing, etc.

It all depends on your car and in what shape its in, some cars can pull it off beautifully while others..not so much.
Romanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:25 AM   #3
cardsfan007

My Ride: 2002 330xi
wow, that would actually look freaking awesome, my only question would be maintenance. do you still wax it? how does vinyl wash compared to regular paint? etc also how would it hold up against road wear? if you get a chip do you have to revinyl the whole thing or do they have some way to patch it? just some thoughts... wish i could do this to mine
cardsfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:13 AM   #4
Romanian

Im pretty sure that the wash question was asked/answered somewhere in that thread, I just cant remember at the moment

And when you vinyl it its alot of cutting and sizing, so if you chip/scrape you would just be replacing the piece/sheet that is damaged.

Although this is all meticulous work and it would most def take time and energy to make it look perfect. Other then that if you can pull it off like that guy did with his evo its a nice alternative to a full paint job.

It saves you money, protects your paint underneath, and then whenever you get tired just peel it off and back to stock paint
Old 01-08-2011, 02:24 AM   #5
codyfunk

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan007 View Post
wow, that would actually look freaking awesome, my only question would be maintenance.

do you still wax it? how does vinyl wash compared to regular paint? yes you wash it like normal paint. and no you don't wax it, wax makes it shiny, the purpose of matte is to be not glossy...therefore, what does wax do, shiny!

also how would it hold up against road wear? It's just vinyl after time it's gonna have chips and rips etc, just depends the thickness of the vinyl

if you get a chip do you have to revinyl the whole thing or do they have some way to patch it? yes, re-vinyl the entire panel that has a chip

just some thoughts... wish i could do this to mine
I added the bold. I have a matte black car, I don't dig it at all.
codyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:25 AM   #6
codyfunk

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
BTW, this has been discussed sooooo much, use the search bar, you'll find loads of info on vinyl wraps
codyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:05 AM   #7
lotar_6

My Ride: '01 xi, '94 Rado
wraps make sense to me if you are doing something that would be difficult or very expensive to paint. If you are doing a basic color, then painting would be the better option, imo.

not into myself, but the last pic seems pretty cool.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:15 AM   #8
SILVRRONIN

My Ride: 2003 325.xit
I have had my bumpers-moldings-bumper all wrapped fro two years now. I went to avery Vynl and ordered mine. I LOVE IT, the car stands out and you do not have to worry about the fading black rubber.
THE CONS : it is challenging-stretching the vynl over a surface that is in all different directions contours-need to be patient adn develope some skills-workmanship abilities with hands.
If your applying.... put it on and it wrinkles ....peel it up and reapply-BUT it looses its adhesiveness after three tries.
Clean the surface before application-on rubber door moldings DONT ARMOR ALL IT! let it air dry or by the sun to dry it-
do it in a warm air temperature enviornment-when its cool and cold the vynl wil tear very easily...
It wil tear if you rub up against agarbage pail etc...

THE PROS: IT LOOKS GREAT!!!!!..My cars color is all uniform and very streamlined, NO fading black moldings against the gloss shine of your automobile. You can totally seperate your cars appearance from everyone elses.
I can wash right over it with car soap and water and it is durable to an extent.
If your going for the vynl decals( I.wanted the fading M series flag on my fender..??) be careful when applying-there are alot of "how to" for the application. I suggest reading -watching it to avoid placement mistakes -and how to improve the apllication process.
SILVRRONIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
Ctc330xi

I got an estimate from a shop for 2400
Old 01-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #10
Ctc330xi

I think it's a little expensive... I could prolly jut get it painted for a 500 more... But the thought of bein able to change it back to stock is neat!
Old 01-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #11
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
this has been done a thousand times, and its awesome!!!! i want to do matte black too but i have to pay college tuition because i'm avoiding loans lmao.

Pros:
keeps ur real paint clean
protects from rock chips
can change color of car to whatever you want
dont need to wax
if you get tired of a color, just change it!
girls may just get wet down there when they see matte colored cars

Cons:
too much money
alot of work to get perfect (professionals do it best, DIY would be a pain with all the bubbles and crap)
alot of time

So if you have the money, time, and skill, then there are no cons!

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #12
SILVRRONIN

vynl wrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mujjuman View Post
this has been done a thousand times, and its awesome!!!! i want to do matte black too but i have to pay college tuition because i'm avoiding loans lmao.

Pros:
keeps ur real paint clean
protects from rock chips
can change color of car to whatever you want
dont need to wax
if you get tired of a color, just change it!
girls may just get wet down there when they see matte colored cars

Cons:
too much money
alot of work to get perfect (professionals do it best, DIY would be a pain with all the bubbles and crap)
alot of time

So if you have the money, time, and skill, then there are no cons!
I have had many females show strong desire and appreciation for my car-but all the other you stated! LOL...thats funny!
Old 01-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #13
SILVRRONIN

The wraps are awesome.... if its small you can do it-but the larger schemes-leave it to a professional...
Old 01-11-2011, 11:01 PM   #14
Romanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVRRONIN View Post
The wraps are awesome.... if its small you can do it-but the larger schemes-leave it to a professional...
The guy in the evo forums whose link I posted wasnt a professional..He did it all himself.

Not saying jump right in and go for it, but with patience and practice, its doable.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:20 AM   #15
ix3mybmw

My Ride: Orient Blue 330i
How strong is the vinyl? It looks to me like if you scratch it with your finger nail it would come off
ix3mybmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:41 AM   #16
SILVRRONIN

nah.. you could scrtatch it with a nail or areally abrasive surface..its strong. I applied mine in the warm summer months so it went on easier. I did notice when its cold its more fragile -especially areas that are not flush with the plastic. I had a difficult time with my license plate frame. I have a euro plate so mine has alot of curves. I missed some small spots and eventually the vynly ripped from being "wind pressed" all the time.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #17
99 black gt

My Ride: 2000 OB 328i
Anyone else have any more info on where to get a hold of this stuff? I've looked around and found some places i could get half rolls or 5'x30' sections for around 200 shipped... Seems like something that would be fun to do in the summer, even if i only keep it for a year or so... I could do the interior at the same time and have everything match..

Thinking about doing matte red or blue.... Check out this thread on the m5 board. I know it's not going to be everyones taste but some of these e9x's look sexxxy

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...yl-wrap-3.html
Old 04-11-2011, 01:45 PM   #18
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
We have 3M-DiNoc available by the roll...

Click HERE for more information.

Please let us know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.

Best,
Joe

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #19
caleb6

My Ride: 2005 330XI
[QUOTE=ECSTuning;13033165]We have 3M-DiNoc available by the roll...

i wrapped my interior with this 3M stuff - and its great! bubbling isn't an issue as it "breathes".

I'd love to wrap my car in it, maybe a semi gloss black or something.

Go for it!
caleb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #20
caleb6

My Ride: 2005 330XI
what do the door sills/jams look like after wrapping? I never hear anyone talk about that - i mean the outside looks good, but what about when you open the doors or the hood? anyone wrapped care to post pictures of how the professionals handle this?
caleb6 is offline   Reply With Quote