E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 12:55 AM   #1
loayo

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Squeaks after pad change to PFC Pads

Hello,

This a newbie question. I was recommended Peformance Friction Pads by BSR at Summit Point and where to buy pads. I did for my civic and it was no problem.

I asked about my M3 while I was at it and got a set as well. After I changed the pads my car now squeaks even without applying the brakes at low speed.

Any ideas?

One mechanic told me that you should change pads and rotors at the same time; however, this supplier told me it should be no problem.

Please advise.

Also would this cause an SES by chance? Just asking as one just popped up and I am 2600 miles from my next service.

P.S. My brakes were changed about 2 years ago and had lots of life on them.

Thanks,
Loay

2001///M3/PowerchipGroup/Eisenmann/Race Flow S-Pipes/AFe Stage II/AutoSolutions/ZCPs/NGK Ir/ULF/JL Audio Amp/Sub/Clutch-Stop 12.8" 1/4mi
1990 Honda Civic DX Hatch B18c1(GSR)/CAI/Greddy Exhaust/DC Sport/H&R/Suspension Techniques/Tanabe/KDWs/Pulstar/Apex Blue Pearl from 2008 S2K CR 14" 1/4mi
2002 Odyssey EX - Secret Weapon R/Pulstar/CAI 15" 1/4mi
2011 Camry V6 SE - Uper Optik 14" 1/4mi
2001 330ci Dinan S1 [Sold]
loayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:15 AM   #2
Ethaniscool

My Ride: Cars
Honestly when i change pads I change rotors too.

From the sounds of it, these are performance pads and usually performance ones squeak. But as for the SES Id say something with the brake wear sensor. Thats just my guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Cyrus View Post
strike three watch your back
Ethaniscool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:23 AM   #3
BusaNoob

My Ride: AW 06 330ci ZHP
I've read that PFC have squeak issues which is why I chose KVR carbon fibre pads over the PFC. Improved braking, low dust.
BusaNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:45 AM   #4
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
What compound did you get? That will make a huge difference in noise. My PF01s sound like a garage truck. Great for the track...not great for the street.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
As the others have suggested, noise is really going to depend on the pad compound. I've been running the Z-rated street pads with no problem. If you're running a more track oriented compound, then some noise is to be expected. It's also possible you have a piece of gravel stuck somewhere (often trapped by the dust shield) but this seems less likely if it started immediately after the pad change. Was any anti squeal compound used on the backs of the pads during the install?
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
Brandond11

My Ride: 2002 M3
Send a message via AIM to Brandond11 Send a message via Yahoo to Brandond11
There's a brake sensor light that should be lit independently of SES. I'd get the codes checked.
Brandond11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:51 PM   #7
ThatGuy_JZ

My Ride: '02 Steel Blue 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to ThatGuy_JZ
Yeah which PFC pad compound did you get? My Z compound pads don't make a sound.

ThatGuy_JZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
loayo

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
thanks for all the feedback. I was under the weather after a trip and only got a chance today to drive the car.

So I have not driven the car in perhaps 1 1/2 weeks and drove perhaps a total of 5 miles and it never once squeaked. Before it did not squeak when I hit the brake only when I drove slowly. That is now gone.

Also, checked my SES lights and they were unrelated.

P0172 System too Rich (Bank 1)
P0175 System too Rich (Bank 2)

I have gotten these once before last year. I have a tune from Powerchip and I am planning to ask them about this. I remember that this happens cannot remember the source or detail.

BTW - I am not sure which compound I have. There two kinds Street/Track and Track Only. I chose the former. The company is Performance Friction Corporation.

all I can say is thank God for this

Regards,
Loay

2001///M3/PowerchipGroup/Eisenmann/Race Flow S-Pipes/AFe Stage II/AutoSolutions/ZCPs/NGK Ir/ULF/JL Audio Amp/Sub/Clutch-Stop 12.8" 1/4mi
1990 Honda Civic DX Hatch B18c1(GSR)/CAI/Greddy Exhaust/DC Sport/H&R/Suspension Techniques/Tanabe/KDWs/Pulstar/Apex Blue Pearl from 2008 S2K CR 14" 1/4mi
2002 Odyssey EX - Secret Weapon R/Pulstar/CAI 15" 1/4mi
2011 Camry V6 SE - Uper Optik 14" 1/4mi
2001 330ci Dinan S1 [Sold]
loayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:11 AM   #9
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Might want to consider applying an anti-squeal compound. They make the world of difference sometimes.

We have an entire section of Brake Quite compounds... Including (Wurth, OEM BMW, Permatex, LOCTite)

These synthetic lubricant contains real ceramic solids for extreme performance under the most critical braking conditions.

Click HERE to order or for more information.

Please let us know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.

Best,
Joe

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote