E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 05:09 AM   #41
drjuszkiewicz

My Ride: 2001 330i
on my car the headlight washer motor died (well the impeller in the motor broke) so i need a new motor, but i suspect that the telescoping arms (part 6 in the diagram on realoem.com) are leaking as well and if this is the case im not going to bother wasting my money.

My question is does some fluid leak out of anyone else's telescoping arms at the when you manually pull the nozzle out?
I put an arrow on the attached picture where the fluid leaks out of
drjuszkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:22 AM   #42
Ljungstrand

My Ride: '04 320i
Yes, had some fluid leaking out while pulling the arms out (while installing angel eyes).
Ljungstrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:08 AM   #43
drjuszkiewicz

My Ride: 2001 330i
and your system works fine?
drjuszkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #44
SharkmanBMW

My Ride: 03 330xi, 4th bimmer
Send a message via MSN to SharkmanBMW
I replaced both pump seals/strainers recently and the leak is still there!
I presume the tank itself has a crack or is it possible brand new seals wopuld also leak?
The system seems to work fine, just intermittently leaks fluid!

Any tips for further trouble shooting when the obvious fix fails?
Old 04-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #45
Ljungstrand

My Ride: '04 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjuszkiewicz View Post
and your system works fine?
Yep! Once i pushed the arms back in the leaking stopped!
Ljungstrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:24 AM   #46
mjn77

My Ride: 330D Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron999 View Post
I hope this helps you with your issue ...

You most likely have a leak with your passenger side nozzle, just like I had, so you want to order and replace that ...
Exactly what it was. However, the other side has started leaking now

Another washer ordered!

mjn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #47
jeepo23

My Ride: 02 330
Where you getting these from and for what price? Are the windshield and headlight pumps the same thing?
Old 04-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #48
mjn77

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepo23 View Post
Where you getting these from and for what price? Are the windshield and headlight pumps the same thing?
Got my washer jet from the dealers, ~41. Tried the breakers yard first, but the only one they had leaked when i fitted it! Grrrrrrr

Old 04-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #49
jeepo23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjn77 View Post
Got my washer jet from the dealers, ~41. Tried the breakers yard first, but the only one they had leaked when i fitted it! Grrrrrrr
Damn it that's steep for just a washer pump. Not sure where others get their off ebay for $15.. All I see is like $40+
jeepo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:43 AM   #50
mjn77

Anybody actually tried to fix a leaking telescopic washer?

Is it just a seal that fails, or something more serious?

Old 04-28-2012, 06:23 AM   #51
Arby1028

My Ride: 2002 330i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron999 View Post
First off, the outlet with the red cap is pointing in the wrong direction. See orientation of my functional and connected pump, where my finger is pointing in the pic below.

Now for a view from the top ...

When you remove the cap off your pump, your tank will emtpy itself, so may you want to extract your washing liquid first. The pump can be removed by lifting it straight out of the container, without any tools, and barely any force. You then must find the main flexible black tubing and connect it back to your pump outlet. You'll notice on the above picture that there is a plastic black lock ring on a white female junction, which slips over the male pump outlet connector. This black tubing leads to both of your telescopic arms and nozzles. See part #1 on diagram in my first post.

I hope this helps you with your issue ...

You most likely have a leak with your passenger side nozzle, just like I had, so you want to order and replace that ...
I replaced my pump and it's leaking from the white connector with the black clip on it now. I've disconnected several times to check the o ring and it looks fine. Anyone with a suggestion on fixing this??? I'm getting ready to slather it with silicone sealant!!! (kidding)
Arby1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #52
jeepo23

Fixed mine by replacing the pump. Was lucky enough to find a pump on eBay for $12 shipped.

The pump had the older part number I think that's why I got it so cheap as all the others I found were $35+.

Spilled some fluid while changing as my container was fully but it's just washer fluid.. Was pretty straight forward swap.

Regarding the leak on the white connector, try rotating the connector so it locks itself on.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #53
Ren13071980

My Ride: E46 n42 facelift
for a retrofit what a wiring hardness and conector i must buy can help with a part number for wiring harness for a retrofit headlamp cleaning system in e46?
Ren13071980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #54
Cvale127

My Ride: 2005 330ci ZHP
Hey guys..not sure if the answer to this question has already been answered in this thread, if it is I apologize, but here goes...

I recently replaced the headlight washer pump on my car because the washers would not spray so I figured the pump was bad. Today I activated the washers and yes...the system now works. However, only the passenger side washer sprayed. Nothing came out of the drivers side. What do you think is damaged? The telescopic arm ? Thanks
Cvale127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #55
denvermgb

My Ride: 2002 325XIT
325 XIT washer fluid leak question

OK, so I found my washer fluid leaked out within a day after filling the reservior. I have read numerous posts. It looked like my front (headlamp washer pump) had just raised up in it's seal and that's where the leak is from. Could it be this simple? I am wondering if the pump (also the rear one) just slides down into their respective seals? Should I just put some silicone sealer in the seal and put it all back together? I have tested both pumps, each works fine. I do not see any cracks or leaks in the reservior or either pump. I use winter grade washer fluid year round in my car so i do not think there is a freezing/expanding water issue. Also, what is strange that when I reassmeble the entire unit, the front hose with the clip going forward to the headlamp washers is too short now?! I have added a shot of the front pump attached to the hose. If I install the reservior and push this pump into it's spot, the hose pulls the pump forward so it does not seal correctly.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wasker pump 001.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	484014   Click image for larger version

Name:	wasker pump 002.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	484015  

Last edited by denvermgb; 12-30-2012 at 01:10 PM.
denvermgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #56
dcaron999

My Ride: 2002 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by denvermgb View Post
It looked like my front (headlamp washer pump) had just raised up in it's seal and that's where the leak is from. Could it be this simple? I am wondering if the pump (also the rear one) just slides down into their respective seals?
Yes, the pump slides down in place, and the rubber grommet holds in place...

Quote:
Should I just put some silicone sealer in the seal and put it all back together?
You should not have to.

Quote:
I use winter grade washer fluid year round in my car so i do not think there is a freezing/expanding water issue.
Smart man.

Quote:
Also, what is strange that when I reassmeble the entire unit, the front hose with the clip going forward to the headlamp washers is too short now?! I have added a shot of the front pump attached to the hose. If I install the reservior and push this pump into it's spot, the hose pulls the pump forward so it does not seal correctly.
That is strange. Hose should be long enough. Check for proper routing of hose ...
dcaron999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #57
denvermgb

Thanks dcaron999. am going to try to put it all back together now....
Old 12-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #58
denvermgb

I think I found the issue. The cap on the reservior was dimpled in - I think the vent on the cap was blocked, which caused the seal around the front pump to break lose. I cleared out the vent on the cap. The washer fluid is not leaking now - I will give you guys an update to see if this was the culprit.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #59
denvermgb

A few days of sub freezing weather, holding up fine, all aspects of the system workinng fine! Thanks!
Old 03-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #60
t3kn0

My Ride: 03 325xi
Thumbs Up Thx

Thx dcaron999 for your post....very helpful...removed my headlight nozzle and no doubt the air was going straight through it.....bought new nozzle online($35) and I'm waiting for it to arrive.The problem is the little plastic cover broke(the 2 ears around the nozzles) and I cant find a replacement one online.If u know where to find one (besides dealer which is my next try),please let me know....THx again
t3kn0 is offline   Reply With Quote