E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
Zaisaroni

My Ride: '01 330i ZSP
Steering rack or tie rods?

I cannot feel any play in the wheel.

Whenever a single front wheel hits a bump its pretty vicious sounding in my car. I narrowed it down in this video and I've ordered tie rods to replace both sides... Same sound happens when I jack either side off the ground as well.

Tell me it isn't the rack though! Steering rack and tie rods were new - few years and 60k ago. It's not an original spec rack, it was substituted for more feel by the previous owner. Are there tie rod incompatibilities between different E46s?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Zaisaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Replace your steering guibo first! You cannot see if they are bad, but rivets in rubber get loose over time.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
Zaisaroni

It was replaced with those other components approximately 50k ago. I suppose a new one is cheap insurance, but I really hear a lot when a single wheel moves. The sound is coming from somewhere in the rack.

This car was was heavily autocrossed with street tires and R-comps throughout it's life as well..

Old 06-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci

It may sound as if the noises coming from the rack but that may not be true. Have you checked the lower control arms and bushings?

markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #5
swawrench

My Ride: 2002 325i, 94 318ic
My vote goes to tie rods. Was the inner and outer changed? I don't know of compatibility differences but I've definitely heard of quality differences. It seems most people recommend Lemforder which is OEM.
swawrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Check the sway bar endings. I had updated my front end and 2 months later I was hearing a sound when turning and going over bumps. Turned out the swaybar endings had loosened up at the strut connection. Tightened it up, and sound is gone.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:55 AM   #7
alex230ro

My Ride: BMW 325ti compact
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...42&hg=32&fg=30

steering column?nr1 in the link

Last edited by alex230ro; 06-08-2013 at 05:00 AM.
alex230ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
Zaisaroni

Tie rod didn't do it. I noticed there was some rotational play on the rack itself. If I had my wrench on the tie rod end I could spin it a few MM back and forth, and the entire shaft inside the rack would spin as well. I greased and refitted my poly-urethane FCABs which seemed to help with most of the noises under the hood.

Still no slop in the steering, Driveability is good. It's really hard for me to guess it's the sheering shaft as I really didn't hear it coming from there when I was under the car troubleshooting/shooting video.

Last edited by Zaisaroni; 06-08-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #9
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
I have the same issue. Turn on the car and see if you can replicate the knock. If you can't the noise is coming from the rack.